Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moible Antenna for Emcomm  (Read 1819 times)
KF7VXA

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:17:12 PM »

If you are looking for one of the better mobile antennas for use for VHF/UHF amateur bands as well as GMRS and some commercial radio frequencies, the Comet SR2X4 antenna is a great choice. It is very wide banded so high SWR is less of a problem with it and it has respectable gain also.
It's a stout antenna at 40", and has a fold over feature.
Everyone who I know that uses one has been very happy with them. That said, I also carry a 1/4 wave antenna for use in the mountains as sometimes a 1/4 wave has a better signal pattern when there are mountains or large buildings around.
If your looking for a new antenna, check this one out. At $70.00, it's a great deal. I get great distance with mine and when tuned for the amateur bands, services such as GMRS stay under 2 to 1 SWR. I have not tried it with MURS yet, but I'd bet the SWR would work well with it also. It's not the end all, but it really does have a much wider bandwidth than other antennas I have tried and others have confirmed this also. Like everything else, it has it's limits, but is much easier on the radio when the SWR is lower and will put out a stronger signal on bands other than amateur bands due to the lower SWR.

73's John
KF7VXA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 07:42:44 PM »

Sorry, I gave the wrong model # for the antenna, it's the Comet CA-2X4SR, and I can spell mobile also, just had the wife yelling at me to get something done and was in too much of a hurry. If you can bring yourself to drill the 3/4" hole in the roof of your vehicle, the NMO mount will get you more distance and better SWR also because it makes a better ground connection with the body of your vehicle, also if you scrape the paint off on the inside of the hole so the teeth in the mount can get a good clean bite into the metal, that helps too. The Mag mounts just do not ground as well to the body. It's worth the hole and they make plastic plugs you can paint the color of your paint and once in, they are hard to spot when the NMO mount is removed. Vehicles have poor ground in general for the antenna to work against, so anything you can do to improve the ground really helps.

73's John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: