Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQ Magazine  (Read 195192 times)
K0IZ

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »

My July issue came about Aug 7th.  I emailed CQ and got prompt response.  My Sept issue arrived Sept 9.  My Aug issue has still not arrived.  I emailed to CQ circulation dept on Tues about missing Aug issue, unlike earlier email, no response, prompt or otherwise.

WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »

Your not alone with those observations. Another topic in MISC forum at

CQ Magazine chronically delivered late?
LINK: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,91692.0.html

I got my July CQ on 8.7.2013 and September arrived on 9.7.2013
but NO August as yet.

A "problem" with the printer and/or NO response from CQ offices why?

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 08:29:03 PM »

Here is response just received from CQ:

Thank you for your recent email regarding your August 2013 issue of CQ.  Unfortunately, we are out of stock with the August 2013 issue, however, we have extended your subscription for one month do to the non-receipt of this issue.  We are also including the August 2013 link so that you may view this issue online.

And here is my response:

This response is NOT ACCEPTABLE.  I have a complete set of CQ's from issue #1 up to August.  I do not accept not receiving August issue.  That would be the ONLY issue missing since 1945.  I do not want my subscription extended.  I want the August issue.

The way I figure this, CQ ran into a money problem for July issue, finally got it printed and out the door in early August.  Didn't have the money to do a full run for August, or to pay for mailing.  In effect skipping an issue.  Extending a subscription by a month pushes problem down a ways.

MY SUGGESTION TO ANYONE THAT PLANS TO SUBSCRIBE TO CQ OR RENEW SUBSCRIPTION:  BEWARE.
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 07:16:06 AM »

Yup....Add me to the "List Of CQ Subscribers NOT GETTING the August issue".  Delivery of both CQ and Popular Communications has been "Hit or Miss", at best, since May or June.  I think the problem they are having is not having funds available to pay the postage fees to mail the issues.  I say this because the August CQ  (and other months) WAS (WERE) available on the newsstands at the appropriate times.  It seems that only the PAID subscribers are getting short-changed...  I don't think it is strictly a "printing problem"....   I never got the June issue either and after contacting them, they said they would extend my subscription for a month....   now, Do I have to complain AGAIN for not getting the August issue, too? 
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 01:53:11 PM »

I've never been impressed with them.  Granted a very tough business to be in, but articles of very limited value, along with endless lists of contest results and new contest announcements.

Very expensive rag, and a lot of <yawn> and ho-hum.

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 03:26:56 PM »

Thank you for your recent email regarding your August 2013 issue of CQ.  Unfortunately, we are out of stock with the August 2013 issue, however, we have extended your subscription for one month do to the non-receipt of this issue.  We are also including the August 2013 link so that you may view this issue online.

This is a joke, right? How the hell can you be out of stock when you have paid subscribers that did not get any?
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 03:57:18 PM »

BTW, they have a history of not paying their authors: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,91319.0.html

One person PM'd me and told me that he was owed over $5,000. A friend of mine that wrote was paid for the first to articles, and then nothing thereafter. Several others apparently were not paid at all.

Sounds like they are going belly up.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 04:45:45 AM »

This is a joke, right? How the hell can you be out of stock when you have paid subscribers that did not get any?

Here IS a real joke. I just got my re-subscribe notice. I am out of $$$ Stock.
After many years of CQ, it is time to say bye-bye.

Sounds like they are going belly up.

I will help them go belly up....

Stan K9IUQ
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 09:15:43 AM »

My Sept issue arrived Sept 9.  My Aug issue has still not arrived. 

Same here. I just emailed them.

Try asking them why you can still order that issue from http://store.cq-amateur-radio.com/Detail.bok?no=212
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 01:13:02 PM »

K0IZ,

If I get an August issue, I will gladly mail it to you and you can keep it.

Vinnie
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »

If they're like many monthly magazines, the monthly publications may be sent by the print house or a magazine distribution house. So they (CQ) may have to wait just like their customers to receive the monthly publication. If a bunch of sent magazines for a particular month, got lost, or misdirected, in the mail (hard to believe, it's the USPS), and CQ sent their stock to cover the loss, depending on the quantity of loss, it's conceivable their stock for a particular month could go to zero.

Pete, wa2cwa
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 05:06:36 AM »

Carl, in AZ, has offered me his copy of August issue.  Thanks, Carl!  If I don't hear something from CQ in next day or two I will notify them to cancel my subscription and refund balance.  Maybe too late?
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 06:17:54 AM »

If I don't hear something from CQ in next day or two I will notify them to cancel my subscription and refund balance. 

I'm considering the same thing.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »

Well there goes one of the best Ham Magazines left and several of the biggest contest for the year.  I know you guys are upset and I understand that but when you come on a forum and say "Beware" or "Cancel" then that pretty much seals the deal on an already ailing magazine.

AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »

Overall, I find CQ magazine to cover material that is in my line of interests better than QST does.  Yes, I belong to the ARRL and will continue to, but usually read more articles in CQ than I do in QST.  Now National Contest Journal and DUBUS really fit with my interests.

73 John AF5CC
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: