Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soft-Start for Henry 2KD Classic?  (Read 2261 times)
KA8WEP

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2013, 12:13:42 PM »

Hi All
There isn't much open space in the Desktop 2KD Classic.  I'm wondering if anyone has installed a Harbach SS-100 in this model of amp?  If so, where did you put it?  It seems like there is some space by the twin on-off breakers.  There is less room by the xmfr & blower area.  The circuit is about 4" x 2" & by the picture, about 1" high:  http://www.harbachelectronics.com/main/page_products_other_parts.html
Thanks for the help
Joe KA8WEP
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 02:10:08 PM »

You could mount the Soft-Start in a bud mini box outside the amp.  Might take a bit more
wiring and AC plugs.  It would be cooler and the electroyltics on the SS would last longer.

Allen KA5N
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »

Why would you want to add a soft-start to the 2KD Classic?

That circuit is mostly to protect on-off (power) switches, and the 2KD Classic uses a dual circuit breaker for that which doesn't need protection.  It can also help protect weak high voltage rectifiers, but the 2KD Classic uses 1.2A, 15kV stacks with 150A surge rating and they don't need protection...

What's the purpose of the soft-start in this amp? Smiley
KA8WEP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:22:55 AM »

Why would you want to add a soft-start to the 2KD Classic?

That circuit is mostly to protect on-off (power) switches, and the 2KD Classic uses a dual circuit breaker for that which doesn't need protection.  It can also help protect weak high voltage rectifiers, but the 2KD Classic uses 1.2A, 15kV stacks with 150A surge rating and they don't need protection...

What's the purpose of the soft-start in this amp? Smiley

Thanks for the reply.  I read this in the description of the soft-start:  The soft-start mounts inside the amplifier or radio and safely limits inrush current to protect hard-to-find and costly-to-replace switches, tubes, filter capacitors and high voltage transformers.
So I thought it would be a good idea.  There is no thump from the inrush.  The caps are the original & when I tested them they all had about 1ma leakage at either 400v or 450v.  I did some documenting, but obviously not as good as I should have.
I am a newbie to HF amps.  I need all the help I can get.  (It's easy to see, if you look at my other posts)  There are no local Elmers out here in the outback.  I really don't want to add something that isn't needed.  Thanks again
Joe  KA8WEP
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »

With that particular amplifier, I wouldn't add a soft-start.

With some, they really need it!  But not that one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: