Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APRS and FT-817  (Read 24404 times)
KD8OTD

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »

I've got a Yeasu VX-8DR and have done some APRS Messaging with it. It's fun, but it's a pain in the butt to get set up, and worse to try and type on.

I want to do the same thing with my PC and Yeasu FT-817. I have a SignaLink USB that I use with the 817 for JT65 and PSK, so I have some experience controlling the radio through HRD Software.

I have been working under the ASSUMPTION that I could just find and download some software that would use this interface and let me transmit APRS Message data through the radio, but so far everything I've tried just send the data through the Internet. That's not what I want.

Any suggestions?

W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 06:35:53 AM »

If your interface and radio can do packet mode then you should be able to use it for
messaging on APRS (APRS is just packet in a particular format).
Not having your radio or interface I can't say how to go about doing that setting up.  I've
used another interface and radio and found that the 'hard' part was controlling the
transmission of a signal (how you you tell the @#$ thing to transmit and how does it
punch the PTT button, that sort of thing).
Sorry, not much help.
 - Paul
KD8OTD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 07:18:03 AM »

I can control the radio through the Signalink interface (I do it for JT65 & PSK31), but need the software that encodes the APRS data before transmitting.

I have tried using APRSISCE/32, but it doesn't seem to control the radio. Am I doing it wrong? Is there better software for this? I don't want to interface to the Internet at all, unless it's to download maps. APRSISCE/32 seems to want to send everything through the Internet.

Help?
VE7KIX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 08:42:19 AM »

I did set up the aprisce32 with a netbook and a Kenwood710.  It worked, the netbook was able to control the radio.  I will have to see if I can find the documentation on how I actually did this, I think the issue to get it to work was using the kiss mode.  It has been a couple of years since I did this so bear with me.  You should join the Yahoo groups forum for aprsisce32 there is lots of good information there.  Lynn is the developer for the software and he responds to query's on that forum.  I know he was very helpful when I was doing this.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »

Here (http://www.soundcardpacket.org/) is the missing part...
You have to have some software that lets the SLUSB act like a software TNC...
KD8OTD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 09:13:18 AM »

NA4IT, I think that's exactly what I was looking for. I still don't have it working, but that'll be a project for the weekend. Thanks!
LA9XNA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 10:17:57 PM »

Tru to use the AWGPE packet engine.
In your APRS software you must set it up for "localhost" to have the to programms speaking together.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 05:41:13 AM »

Another option might be to get an APRS box from https://www.argentdata.com/products/aprs.html

I have their Tracker2 (which appears to have been discontinued in favor of their Tracker3) and it's very easy to use, with or without a laptop attached.
N6HPX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 08:57:51 PM »

I too have both radio's and enjoy the APRS so far and will give this a try on the USB.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: