Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wonder why no one bothers to read the ads?  (Read 18155 times)
NI4Z

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:29:35 AM »

I have been a ham since 1977.  I used to subscribe to the "Yellow Sheets" which folded in 1999.  It's been a part of the hobby for me just to read the ads.  I realize everyone is busy these days and with the computer age we have become an instant society.  My point you ask? Several times a month I will see an ad selling a piece of gear and in the same day a want ad for that same item.  Often times this item is rare or even scarce.  It makes you wonder if these two ad placers ever got together.  I can hear the moaning in the background not everyone has (or will take) time to read the ads.  It's easier to place an ad you say?  Both the popular ad boards have a SEARCH FUNCTION.  It's an easy search to find out who has or wants a particular rig or accessory.  Since I have had particularly good luck at selling and finding items, I can testify the search function works. The people who provide the boards we all use provide a GREAT service to the Amateur Radio Community.  I am sure they would appreciate a reduction in bandwidth.  I have even emailed a couple of hams telling them the item they sought was listed at the current time, and without fail, they email ME back wanting to purchase it.  I have since stopped doing this as it is too hard to explain. If you use the tools provided, you should get better results!

Just my .02 worth.  Condy NI4Z
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 05:22:26 AM »

All too true.  Never mind ads, all too many people don't want to be bothered by them, but just look at the amount of duplicate threads here in just these forums.  Most people won't even read down the topic lists to see if their problem has been addressed in another thread!  73!

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 02:41:32 PM »

I guess its time to STOP POSTING on these sites for any reason.  Too many "regulations" and too many complaints from the "peanut gallery".  Not worth the aggravation.  I'll go back to finding things (information and parts) the way I used to.  All these "time savers" just take too much time.
Tom
KF5YCX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »

I read the ads, even tried to buy two items in the past week. One never answered back to my wanting to buy his item, the other decided he wanted to sell it locally even though his ad said shipping was included. I even offered to pay the shipping myself.
Leads me to believe some of the sellers are con men or just squirrely.
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 07:01:11 PM »

Condy,

The answer to this and many of today's questions can be attributed to my belief that the D minus students have taken over and have seized power..................from Washington DC on down.

Bob
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 11:28:35 PM »

D-minus students have taken over Washington DC?

D-minus students don't often earn bachelor's degrees. With 92% of House members and 99% of Senators holding a bachelor's degree or higher it doesn't look like the D-minus students have taken over.  
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:31:06 PM by WX7G » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 06:27:14 AM »

Here we go again, academic degrees and common sense do not necessarily go hand in hand. This is prooven daily and makes no difference wheather you are a eHam Forum participant, climbing your antenna tower without a safety belt or a current resident of the White House.
NI4Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 09:33:44 AM »

Bob and others,

Academics or the lack of is certainly a problem in most circumstances.  My point in my original post is folks show up on the ham ads either to buy or sell gear.  You see two ads the same day on the same board, one with a rare item for sale and five ads down someone looking for the item.  There are search engines on both the popular boards.  They must not be used as a tool by most hams?

I am not finding fault but suggesting a way for buyers and sellers to achieve better success and reduce bandwidth for the folks who graciously support the trading sites.  If I were going to find fault it might be with some whom you reference who have the most to say and the least ability to legibly present it. (I. E. Wanted manuel for duel band radio.) 

It's all up to the individual I suppose.  Thanks to the folks who keep these websites up and running!  You do a great service to the ham community.

Condy NI4Z
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: