Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wayne Green W2NSD dies at 91  (Read 8813 times)
WW7KE

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2013, 11:18:14 AM »

No cause of death given, other than being 91.

Link:  ARRL
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »

RIP Wayne. 73 was a great magazine before it got hooked on repeaters and 2m FM to the exclusion of anything else....
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 03:13:41 PM »

God speed Wayne, I bet the SKs can't wait to see what he comes up with next.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 03:51:26 PM »

RIP Wayne. 73 was a great magazine before it got hooked on repeaters and 2m FM to the exclusion of anything else....

That didn't bother me near as much as the pre-Byte Magazine computer stuff.  The technology was just too new to be practical when Wayne started pushing it.

I will say that, having met him at the 1973 Dayton Hamvention, he was certainly opinionated, but I thought he was a really nice guy.  It's too bad that he seemed to go off the deep end later in life.  I've always thought the start of that was his tax problems in the '70s.

RIP, Wayne.
WB7OBG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 10:57:29 AM »

I called him 'Wayne the Grate' more than once.  He was an opinionated know-it-all, but thanks to him I was able to call myself a 'published author', having published a few of my articles in 73 and Kilobaud.  And he even paid me for them. 

When I returned to the ham radio hobby about a year ago I was saddened to see that 73 was no longer around.  To me it was a great magazine, with an emphasis on homebrewing and pushing the leading edge of technology. If 73 and QST arrived on the same day it was 73 that got read first.

Waynes editorial column was always the first thing I read in every issue.  Even back in the late 1970's he held some offbeat beliefs. But you couldn't argue with him.  You just had to let it go.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 02:28:29 PM »

In some ways, he reminds me of George Bernard Russell. Opinionated - but was he always wrong?

RIP Wayne.
KB0TXC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 04:23:50 AM »

Wayne Green was one of two people that got me interested as a very young teen in Amateur radio. Someone gave me a copy of 73 Magazine when I was 13, and it went from there. I could not get enough of his wacky editorials, though I did not and do not agree with all of what he said. If I did, I would probably be in the nut house by now. However, he made one THINK, which alas, a great many people today have forgotten how to do. He was never a victim of group-think, he had the guts to explore what most would shy away from, and he had the courage to let the world know just what he thought. If for no other reason, that is why one should mourn his passing.

We have lost a great crackpot genius. In a large part, I credit FM repeaters, digital comms, space comms and computer useage in the amateur radio community to W2NSD.

May you rest in peace, Wayne! I am sure that there are many, many SKs just waiting for the first issue of 73 to hit the news stands in the after life. You will be missed here at this QTH...

Joe KB0TXC

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:26:46 AM by KB0TXC » Logged
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 06:42:46 AM »

Wayne Green W2NSD (Never Say Die)  The phonetics he used for his call.

Dick  AD4U
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »

Somehow, it seems in character that he passed away on Friday the 13th...  He exemplified the adage "Eccentricity is a prerogative of Genius."

Computerworld has this eulogy on him:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/pcs/22826/goodbye-wayne-green-and-thanks-memories

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 08:34:23 PM »

Colloidal silver -

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2013/10/01/hln-paul-karason-blue-man-died.hln.html

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 11:57:27 AM »

Some years ago CQ mag was getting tired and then Wayne Green took over as editor and
it became a super magazine.  I could hardly wait for each new issue.  Then Wayne came up
with 73 magazine which for several years was chock full of great articles and building projects.
I had a couple of articles published in 73 (which paid rather well).  Then Wayne turned to
computers and Byte.  Later Wayne's  nonsense era set in (eating raw chicken etc.) and his
mental wanderings and strange notions were rather off-putting.  All in all he was an unusual
person with many interests and very entertaining when he was at his best. 
There won't soon be another like him.
Adios Wayne

Allen KA5N
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: