Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know KB1ZJO  (Read 28771 times)
VE3YF

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2013, 03:56:58 PM »

HI:

Today I put out a Want Ad for a Kenwood TS-711A and KB1ZJO responded. Problem is he keeps on mentioning sending via Money Gram and also when I asked for a picture, he sent me a picture that I also found the exact same by doing a google search for TS-711A. The picture that I found when I googled the rig, was an old picture from e-Ham that someone that must have posted on their For Sale Ad.

Of course this could be a simple mistake on my behalf, but have no way of verifying KB1ZJO, QRZ says he lives in Waltham, MA 02451, from Satellite pics I see no antennae at his Qth.

Does anyone know KB1ZJO (R.J. Hicks lll)

73 De Mike
VE3YF
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:38:14 AM »

KB1ZJO asked that I pay via USPO Money Order to an other address than is listed as his home QTH. Actually he says send it to a Post Office Box,  I wouldn't think that someone could cash a Money Order without some good valid ID.

Upon further investigation, the picture that KB1ZJO sent me was the same picture that W6ZKH used to sell his TS-711A/TS-811A pair back in April 2010.

Very strange.....

I will not be proceeding with the purchase of the rig...

Still requiring if anyone knows KB1ZJO, as maybe someone is fraudulently using his callsign.

73 De Mike
VE3YF
KA2CDT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:34:07 AM »

Do not walk away...RUN away as fast as you can! Typical scammer hijacking a call sign.  Glad you knew better to inquire.

Good luck!

Ronnie KA2CDT
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »

Unless I'm dealing face to face, the only way I will buy something is with PayPal or Google Checkout.  If the seller won't take those, then they can sell to someone else.  Anytime someone uses the terms Western Union or Money Gram, consider them the same as being that prince from Nigeria who wants to give you $50 million.  Roll Eyes
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 12:10:05 PM »

Thanks Guys:

I just got an email from the person claiming to be KB1ZJO asking about payment. In the meantime I looked over the picture and found that the picture he sent me was taken back in early 2010 by W6ZKH when he was selling his TS-711A and TS-811A.

I am walking away as you mentioned, however still would like to at least let KB1ZJO know what is going on in case his callsign has been hyjacked.

Tnx Agn.
KE6CT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 02:30:02 PM »

You're wise to bail out on this guy. 

K5JOA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »

The same guy is currently trying to scam me on an ALS-600 amp. I posted a WTB ad yesterday on QTH.com. He is wanting me to send Annette Swartz a money order and she will handle the transaction for him due to bad health. That threw up a big red flag!!! I'm glad I did a little research first.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 04:51:30 PM »

HI:

Today I put out a Want Ad for a Kenwood TS-711A and KB1ZJO responded. Problem is he keeps on mentioning sending via Money Gram and also when I asked for a picture, he sent me a picture that I also found the exact same by doing a google search for TS-711A. The picture that I found when I googled the rig, was an old picture from e-Ham that someone that must have posted on their For Sale Ad.

Of course this could be a simple mistake on my behalf, but have no way of verifying KB1ZJO, QRZ says he lives in Waltham, MA 02451, from Satellite pics I see no antennae at his Qth.

73 De Mike
VE3YF

The callsign probably belongs to a new ham, who doesn't know about QRZ or hasn't bothered with his QRZ profile yet. As a result, his call has been hijacked by a scammer, because he doesn't have his email address on QRZ. This has been said many many times before, but if you don't want your call hijacked, make a QRZ login and put your email address on your profile. Check FCC ULS and see if he's a Tech licensee.
K5JOA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 08:19:16 PM »

HI:

73 De Mike
VE3YF

The callsign probably belongs to a new ham, who doesn't know about QRZ or hasn't bothered with his QRZ profile yet. As a result, his call has been hijacked by a scammer, because he doesn't have his email address on QRZ. This has been said many many times before, but if you don't want your call hijacked, make a QRZ login and put your email address on your profile. Check FCC ULS and see if he's a Tech licensee.

You are exactly right. I checked that myself earlier. He just received his tech license in July. So why would a tech who just got his license be selling an HF amp? After I ask for his phone number to call him I have yet to hear back from him.
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 11:01:56 AM »

The callsign probably belongs to a new ham, who doesn't know about QRZ or hasn't bothered with his QRZ profile yet. As a result, his call has been hijacked by a scammer, because he doesn't have his email address on QRZ. This has been said many many times before, but if you don't want your call hijacked, make a QRZ login and put your email address on your profile.

Good advice that VEs ought to provide to new licensees.
N1ASS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 07:50:40 AM »

I put a want for a paragon 2 and I got to deal with him too and the phone number that he gave me is not working 90% of the time.I am tired of SCAMMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!He wouldn't accept paypal  so I told him To send to me COD and I pay the fees and I haven't heard from him since.73.........all and let's come up with a plan to take care of these flim flamers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smiley Smiley
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »

I agree. I wish there was an easy way to defeat the scammers.

But there is the other side of the coin as well. I read an ad for a piece of equipment that fit my needs. The stated price was even reasonable. However the ad stated nothing about how payment would be accepted, or about shipping preferences. Both are rather important pieces of information to transact a deal. So I sent a message inquiring on those. The reply was certainly not what I expected. It was a message laced with foul language about how stupid my questions were and that I had wasted his time by asking.

While not necessarily being a scam that I know of, it did drive home the fact that if your going to sell something, at least have the courtesy and patience to communicate. A good seller should be willing to answer questions, even if they do get absurd, as this is one way to defeat the scammers. The attitude and the content of the answers go a long way in helping to find the good sellers vs. the scammers.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »

The callsign probably belongs to a new ham, who doesn't know about QRZ or hasn't bothered with his QRZ profile yet. As a result, his call has been hijacked by a scammer, because he doesn't have his email address on QRZ. This has been said many many times before, but if you don't want your call hijacked, make a QRZ login and put your email address on your profile.

Good advice that VEs ought to provide to new licensees.

Any VEC's reading this? Maybe someone could write up a quick flyer on how to avoid scams or getting your call hijacked and distribute it among VEC's, who then could have their VE's give copies to new hams. There's so much that most new hams don't know. I was approached by an Asian guy who had gotten his ticket at the same exam session I did, he had a Baofeng UV-5R but didn't know how to work it, and he had no clue about resources like QRZ and eHam. He was so desperate for help that he'd started approaching people who'd gotten licensed at the same time as him, begging for help. He just drove around and knocked on doors, and everybody else had slammed the door in his face. I also have a UV-5R, so I showed him how to use it. Did I mention that English was his second language?  Roll Eyes I wonder how many guys get their ticket, spend $$$$ for a HT, and hear nothing, and then put the HT up on Craigslist in frustration.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: