Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wayne Green, SK  (Read 3689 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2013, 08:56:16 PM »

I just read on the ARRL website that Wayne Green, W2NSD passed away September 13.

Wayne was a controversial icon in his day and I had the dubious pleasure of crossing swords with him on one occasion.  He definitely read his mail!

Al - K8AXW
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 06:38:28 PM »

Tell us about the crossing of swords.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 09:05:55 PM »

David:  Back in the day the typical ham radio setup was separate transmitters and receivers.  Most of the time they were on the order of 70lbs each.  Then there was the change-over-relay and other items that made the station.

During this time Wayne Green was making himself known and was a great advocate of the transceiver.  Like, who in the hell ever heard of a transmitter and receiver in one little box?  Well, the fact was a couple companies were indeed building transceivers and like I said, Wayne was a great advocate of these "all in one boxes."

I was upset that Wayne was taking ham radio into the realm of taxi band operation and wrote him a poignant letter to that effect.  The effect was like throwing a big rock up against a chicken house at 3:00AM! 

And as is often said, "Things went downhill from there."  We exchanged a few more letters with each one getting a little more heated than the previous.  I finally wimped out and quit responding because the whole episode was starting to keep me awake at night.

I have no idea if I was the only one writing him, but he sure took the time to crawl up my ass!
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 04:24:24 AM »

... wrote him a poignant letter to that effect.  The effect was like throwing a big rock up against a chicken house at 3:00AM! 

I traded emails with him a half-dozen years ago; I complained about the quack medicine he was promoting on his website.  He wrote me some FINE replies, full of sound and fury, plus many descriptions of my various personal and intellectual inadequacies.  :-)

Of course, this is the same Wayne Green who got indignant in the December 1976 issue of "73" because people wanted to open ten meters to Techs, and Wayne argued that Techs would not USE ten meters even if they got it.  :-)  He also indignantly declared that 2m and 440 were useless for working amateur satellites.  :-) 

Wayne was an interesting guy, but a definite whackadoodle.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:10:41 AM »

Ol' "Never Say Die" was quite the character.

I think of him this way:

"He never let facts, science, logic or common sense get in the way of a good rant"

He's in a better place now - I hope.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 08:08:35 AM »

Jim:  Your comment reminded of a joke I heard some time ago. 

Seems that the nasty wife of an old man had passed away.  Just as the preacher finished his prayer at the grave site service, a clap of thunder rolled some distance away. 

The old and life weary widower looked at the preacher and said, "Well, she's there!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: