Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does calling CQ DX really work?  (Read 12717 times)
KA0HVE

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »

Here lately I've been hearing a ham on 20 meters calling CQ CQ CQ DX DE ....

Do DX stations reply to that?

This is the QRP forum and he probably isn't a QRP station but I thought I'd ask here.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 02:44:51 PM »

Well, it probably keeps him from being bothered with calls from local stations that he is not interested in.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 03:19:10 PM »

Yes, DX stations sometimes reply to such calls.  No guarantee that it will be the rare
DX, of course.  I have occasionally responded to such a call when the caller was on
another continent.

Other times it becomes a convenient way for someone to keep HIS favorite
frequency clear...
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 03:24:47 PM »

Works for me, if I'm running QRO.  I recently worked Bhutan.

If I'm running QRP, I've had some success working DX calling CQ QRP.  I worked Hawaii that way.  I'm up to 52 countries two way QRP.

Zack W1VT
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »

I suspect the Reverse Beacon Network is leading to a big increase in CQing. I call CQ DX on channel 5 on 60 meters all the time. Virtually never on more active bands bands.
KA0HVE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 07:16:12 AM »

I'm pleasantly surprised that this sometimes works.  I'll have to try it.

Thanks all!
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 07:43:48 AM »

I've worked even better stuff just calling CQ.   Grin

Not only did Roy Neal, K6DUE give me a call one day, but I actually had VK0JS Heard Island answer my CQ!  

Heard Island is actually in the top 10 of the most needed DX countries!

If you understand baseball, a rough analogy might be the difference between throwing and pitching--once you have mastered the understanding of propagation (throwing), the next logical step is to understand propagation from the perspective of the DX station (pitching).  How well will your station be heard, as opposed to how well you will hear the DX.

Zack Lau W1VT
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:52:16 AM by W1VT » Logged
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 08:21:34 AM »

I do call CQDX when I want to ragchew with the DX rather than just 59, 73. I find that this works well on 40M for Europe-Africa in the evening and for Australia in the morning.But again, I'm talking QRO,I think this would be less effective with QRP.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 09:00:59 AM »

The order of success with calling "CQ DX" goes like this: 

QRO - Very good

100W with great antenna - Good

100W with a wire antenna - Once in a while

QRP with a good antenna - You snag one once in a great while

QRP with a wire antenna - Same category as a blind hog finding an acorn

However, calling "CQ DX" is a great deal like fishing.  You throw out the baited hook and you never know what you might catch. 

Both are great fun and both require a great deal of patience and physiological immunity to failure.

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »

I listened to a guy (the correct term would be egotistical idiot)  calling CQ DX for a solid hour on 40 sideband a few years ago. He was running a KW. I left the radio on him while I did some paperwork on my nearby desk. 

During that hour he had two common DX stations answer and about 10-15 stateside stations who parroted, "just wanted to let you know you were getting out."

Almost universal rule among experienced DXers on the core bands: Let DX call CQ DX.

W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 03:21:21 AM »

The last time I got lucky calling CQ with QRP was last April, when ZD7JC gave me a call!

Zack W1VT
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 04:07:57 AM »

The last time I got lucky calling CQ with QRP was last April, when ZD7JC gave me a call!

Zack W1VT

That's a really nice one for calling CQ, Zack.

Calling CQ when the band may be open to DX helps.  Grin Grin One time I called CQ DX and actually had a small pile up of mostly UR hams come back. Wow, I wasn't prepared for that. I wasn't expecting any comebacks and to have 4 or 5 stations answer was surprising and I was scrambling to catch the calls.

At times I call CQ QRP on the QRP frequencies and if 15 or 20 is open I can get responses from DX stations especially from EU. It makes for some nice 2XQRP QSOs. Back in the days of good 10 meter openings, calling CQ around 28.060 would generate many QSOs. In fact it wasn't unusual to have the freqs near 28.060 packed with QRPers from EU and NA working each other. Those were the days - boy, I miss 10 meters.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 04:14:37 AM »

There's a nice discussion of calling "CQ DX" in W9KNI's book, _The complete DXer_.  If you're interested in DX, it's a GREAT read.  And if you don't want to spend a lot of money, older editions of it are often for sale used at hamfests. 
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 08:01:10 AM »

Almost universal rule among experienced DXers on the core bands: Let DX call CQ DX.

What's that even mean?  Everybody from a given country is DX to somebody in another country.  Do you mean to say, only answer CQDX and never call it?  How would that even work?  Does this advice only apply to Americans?
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 08:15:16 AM »

Quite often I hear a European station calling CQ DX.  I usually wait until he makes a second call before answering him.....  after all to him, I'm DX!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: