Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 meters open to Europe this week.  (Read 10415 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 12:30:20 PM »

I just watched an episode on Nova about the sun.  It said the solar cycle is caused by the flipping of the sun's magnetic poles.  When the poles are about to reverse the sun's magnetic structure is highly unstable and hence we see an increase in solar activities.  I felt ashamed for being a ham and not knowing what actually causes the solar cycle Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 03:56:02 PM »

I knew the poles of the sun flipped but I did not know that was what caused the sunspot cycle and I've been at this a lot longer than you so I don't see why you should feel ashamed. You've already accomplished a lot in the short time you've been a ham and I can't think of another ham who built as competitive a station as yours only a few years into the hobby. You should be very proud of what you've done.

There are many facets to this hobby and you will never run out of things to learn about if you are inherently curious.

About two decades ago I took a correspondence course in basic AC/DC electronics as well as digital electronics and TV, but the section on tubes just covered basic theory.  Even recent ARRL Handbooks didn't cover what I was looking for. I'd probably have to get a Handbook from the 40's or 50's that really went into depth about the use of tubes rather than basic theory. Anyway, in the past few weeks I have found the answers to my questions in the amplifier forum. I still don't know an awful lot about tubes but I know much more than before I visited that forum.  Some of the hams answering the questions have businesses repairing amplifiers yet they still find time to visit the forum and answer our questions, many of which must be repetitive.

These forums, along with YouTube, can teach one an awful lot.

About a year ago I watched MIT's introductory Physics class, Classical Mechanics, on YouTube. The Professor, Dr. Walter Lewin, was so good I was sometimes watching two lectures back-to-back. Dr. Lewin has become famous due to about 2 million people a year watching his internet lectures, and about 4 million from the Seattle area have seen his lectures on the local PBS station.                                                                                       

The NY Times ran a front page story about Dr. Lewin about 5 years ago, and newspapers and TV stations from all over the globe have interviewed him so his audience is global.

Last week, I started watching his lectures on Electricity and Magnetism. I think there is one more course of his after E&M.
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 05:46:43 AM »

I think there is one more course of his after E&M.

8.03, Vibrations and Waves. Lots of topics of interest to hams, such as oscillations and resonance, basic Fourier analysis, mathematical representation of EM waves, their behavior in materials and at boundaries (reflection/refraction/diffraction), etc. At least that's how it was during prehistoric times.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 08:29:20 AM »

Now that the week is over - I didn't find any EU on 10M. After WAE phone is done they might report their success.

But 12M was very nicely open to EU several times, sometimes at surprisingly late hours. This AM was particulalrly good.

Looking at spaceweather.com, the sun looks remarkably spot-free at the moment. Would love it if this turns out to be the lull (valley in the hoped for "double peak")  before great 10M conditions for upcoming fall contests!
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »

Long path opening to Europe at night and a little this AM local time it's about that time of year (15 and 20M - haven't looked at 10M yet).  Just starting I think?  First time I noticed that.   Best signal strength is pretty much directly south - lowest noise - almost 0)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »

Long path opening to Europe at night and a little this AM local time it's about that time of year (15 and 20M - haven't looked at 10M yet).  Just starting I think?  First time I noticed that.   Best signal strength is pretty much directly south - lowest noise - almost 0)

Yup.  My local buddy called CQ on LP at 6:30am local time yesterday and guess who answered?  Marion Island Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 01:11:06 PM »

OK, only a couple weeks off :-). From my QTH, yesterday 10M was wide open to almost all of EU, and this AM it was very good to Russia/Ukraine. 12M was even better/longer.

This could be very very good for CQ WW RTTY!
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 01:39:51 PM »

OK, only a couple weeks off :-). From my QTH, yesterday 10M was wide open to almost all of EU, and this AM it was very good to Russia/Ukraine. 12M was even better/longer.

That's what I was hoping.   RTTY tomorrow.   The best prop for me was about 5 days ago or so.   Mellowed out - but I'm also staying away from the radio since I plan to put some time into this weekends contest - first big RTTY for me.   Prop is still good - I can hear Belgium on 17m over the North at 10:30am local time - just not a real LP opening at the moment, which I prefer (no obstructions).

Regarding Sun Cycles - If I had to guess - I would say that the Sun has a bigger affect on our climate than anything else right now.  If we are entering a period of 70 year low sun spots / activity - and cooler weather - that may be why our temperature has not increased in 17+ years even though carbon PPM is now over 400 now.   Was the last low sun cycle and mini-ice age just a coincidence?

Basically, we don't know what link if ANYTHING, has to do temperature / climate change. But I'm wondering what would happen with an increased carbon levels AND an active solar cycle like 2000 or bigger?   For the record - when you actually look at the data - you can see how crazy some of the news is..  reality - no major hurricanes, tornadoes at 30+ year record lows, record cold temperatures in many States, Antarctica ice at record levels,  it's just media / news noise at the moment - they were calling for 0% ice in the North Pole by 2014 or 2016.. (Huh)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:43:11 PM by WH7DX » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 01:49:59 PM »

I just watched an episode on Nova about the sun.  It said the solar cycle is caused by the flipping of the sun's magnetic poles.  When the poles are about to reverse the sun's magnetic structure is highly unstable and hence we see an increase in solar activities.  I felt ashamed for being a ham and not knowing what actually causes the solar cycle Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX

Huh why do you feel ashamed??
No scientist in the world knows what causes the Solar cycles!
Lots of speculation but it will probably be hundreds of years from now before anything can be definitively proven.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 02:44:30 PM »

I was on 10M this morning and the CW portion of the band had a good number of signals (every station I worked or heard was from Russia), but the Phone section had no signals. It was almost as if the MUF dropped off before the Phone section of the band.  I guess that's possible but I think it's more likely the Russian stations just preferred CW.

I was on 10M for almost an hour and heard nothing from Western Europe.  I finally moved to 15 meters where signals were strong from all over Europe and the Mid-East and there was a so-so opening to SE Asia over the N. Pole. I was able to break a fairly large pileup of mostly European stations calling a Thai station.

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 02:54:26 PM »

Regarding Sun Cycles - If I had to guess - I would say that the Sun has a bigger affect on our climate than anything else right now.

In fact recent scientific research supports this conjecture. See e.g. http://www.theonion.com/articles/scientists-trace-heat-wave-to-massive-star-at-cent,21088/
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 04:27:02 PM »

The Onion does put out some funny stuff from time to time...

There are no facts on the matter and there's plenty that say that the sun has no affect on earth's climate.  That was my best guess and just pointing out some tid-bits regarding lack of storms or temperature change, lower present sun cycle and what happened the last time the sun entered a prolonged period of depression aka grand minimum...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/06/110614-sun-hibernation-solar-cycle-sunspots-space-science/

Basically, they're all guessing and many are in it for the money - either through job funding, taxes or business.

Today the UN says 750,000,000 will die within 22 years from Global Something...

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/09/26/un-climate-change-report-global-warming-to-kill-750-million-people/

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »

Does old age count as "Global Something"? 

The world population is over 7 billion.  Obviously, more than 10% will die over the next two decades from old age alone.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »

Does old age count as "Global Something"? 

The world population is over 7 billion.  Obviously, more than 10% will die over the next two decades from old age alone.

It looks like they have a new report that contradicts their previous reports deadline.   That's pretty funny.

http://hockeyschtick.blogspot.com/2013/09/never-mind-ipcc-claim-of-750-killed-by.html
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: