Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ego CQing: "Checking Propagation On the Long Path"  (Read 9150 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2013, 09:37:04 AM »

Egotistical CQs. Everyone's favorite was W2NQ/7 years ago: "CQ DX checking propagation on the long path to Central Asia and the Indian Ocean." I always wondered where the "long path" to the Indian Ocean was.

Another egotist was a rookie who called CQ on 40 naming specific rareties:  "CQ Mongolia, Bhutan and Cambodia."  What was especially funny was that he'd do that when it was high noon in those places.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 11:35:24 AM »

If were going to make a thread about all the stupid things WE have DONE and HEARD..  it's going to be a long one.

My most recent big ham mistake was about a year ago - giving a guy on 80M a 4-0 SSB signal report and losing him after..  not use to working people less than 5-2 or so at the time.   I could hear him OK but when I looked at my radio I wasn't getting any signal.. hence the "0"... without thinking  Roll Eyes
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 11:56:57 AM »

If were going to make a thread about all the stupid things WE have DONE and HEARD..  it's going to be a long one.

My most recent big ham mistake was about a year ago - giving a guy on 80M a 4-0 SSB signal report and losing him after..  not use to working people less than 5-2 or so at the time.   I could hear him OK but when I looked at my radio I wasn't getting any signal.. hence the "0"... without thinking  Roll Eyes

I have 5 signal reports I give out. 3x3 when they're ESP, 55 for marginal copy, 57 for a little scratchy and either 59 or 20-over for the rest...unless they ask for a real report. Weirdest report I ever gave was a 557 to a guy with an awful tone. He didn't know what to do with that report.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 12:03:41 PM »

I could hear him OK but when I looked at my radio I wasn't getting any signal..

S-1 is often defined as "Faint. Barely perceptible."  (and R-1 is defined as Unreadable) There is no S-0 and if there was, how could you copy his call?

I presume by "looking at your radio,"  you mean you looked at the S-meter. (Most are worthless for most purposes). Few receivers had them until the 1950s, long after the RST system came into use around 1934.

Weirdest report I ever gave was a 557 to a guy with an awful tone. He didn't know what to do with that report.
I still give such reports where warranted. What would he have done with a 557C? Smiley

That's about the only kind of report I got with my Heath VFO/DX-100, long ago.

WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 12:34:20 PM »

That's what was so stupid about it.   4-0??   4-0?Huh

I quickly went with the generic 22-33-44 and 5-whatever.. etc.  that works.. No signal strength = 44, 33 is weaker and 22 is barely workable.  Simple.

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »

I received a QSL last week with a 4 by 0 report.  I have so many QSLs to send out that I just gave him a 59 and sealed the envelope.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 01:13:32 PM »

I received a QSL last week with a 4 by 0 report.  I have so many QSLs to send out that I just gave him a 59 and sealed the envelope.

Roger, the signal report doesn't matter.   You could leave it blank and it's still 100% valid..  LOTW doesn't care etc.

Long Path is returning.... 

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 01:32:19 PM »

W2IRT:
3x3 when they're ESP, 55 for marginal copy, 57 for a little scratchy and either 59 or 20-over for the rest

Yep, it's come down to those sorts of "standard" reports and for good reason. If a station is really weak and rare, you want to send a simple report and move on so the next guy can work him.

Drives me crazy in a pileup when someone gives the DX an oddball 2 by 8 report or such and has to repeat it ten times. Usually that's followed by an unsolicited "Name here is: [insert a name like Rumpelstiltskin... spelled out in phonetics three times]"

BTW, I've heard reports containing zeros many times. They ALWAYS throw the recipient. 

Then you have the S-ten reports!
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 06:18:37 PM »

With due respect I don't think this is egotistical or stupid.  My local DX buddy called CQ long path Africa and ZS8Z and ZS8C answered him Shocked. This happened just a few days ago.  A few years ago he called CQ Asia and a station in Timor Leste answered him.  Ditto for Wake Island.  If I were a DX station located in the Indian Ocean and I hear a stateside station calling for DX in the Indian Ocean I would answer it. Lastly people call for specific geographical areas because they are not interested in garden variety DX.  This is no different from a station in Europe calling CQ DX outside of Europe.  Just my $0.02.

Jonathan W6GX
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 06:41:42 PM »

I was thinking they were referring to long path from the west coast to India - being antipodal?    That's what I was thinking (not sure).   I agree that calling for certain areas is fine.   I wouldn't call for those rare DX but why not call for the general areas if you want.  

That reminds me of a time I mentioned I was coming in LP into an area that is pretty much antipodal for me.. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:10:59 PM by WH7DX » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 06:08:50 AM »

DX Summit shows that CQer Extraordinaire W2NQ/7 remains fairly active "checking propagation on the long path." 

Many comments about him. http://www.dxsummit.fi/Search.aspx
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 12:54:52 AM »

What puzzles me is the "CQ Long Path" comment on the DX Cluster, usually a self spot.
I always have to wonder "Long Path To Where?"

As for signal reports, I usually don't pay to much attention to the (calibrated) S Meter on PowerSDR screen, or any S Meter for that matter. My reports are in accordance with the RST system, still published in reference material, such as our Call Book. Reports are more a signal above the noise report, and the readability. "S Zero" does not exist in my book.
On a certain Net, I sometimes hear "2 by 2 Rifle Shot, Rifle Shot" reports. Any station that is 2x2 (or less) does not get into my log!
I still have to laugh when I hear a station asked for his "callsign ten times slowly", and then given 5 by 9!
Luke VK3HJ

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 06:42:52 AM »

On a certain Net, I sometimes hear "2 by 2 Rifle Shot, Rifle Shot" reports.

Luke VK3HJ

DAMNED REDNECK CB types, "posing" as Ham Radio Operators.

Gene AF3Y
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 07:02:11 AM »

On a certain Net, I sometimes hear "2 by 2 Rifle Shot, Rifle Shot" reports.

Luke VK3HJ

DAMNED REDNECK CB types, "posing" as Ham Radio Operators.

Gene AF3Y

That's right. DAMNED REDNECK CB types.

Every real ham knows that's Rim Shot, which is what a 22 really is. Smiley
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 11:04:05 AM »

For me...

1) When someone posts LP on cluster its a service to others.  That's useful.   Knowing that 10M is open LP can be rare etc.   I'd guess they were saying something like EU LP to OC 10M is open etc.

2) When you're working with NETs especially, it can get really hard completing the QSO so anything like 22 - Rifle Shot - 33 (triple - triple?) - 55 Speed Limit - can help.   It doesn't harm anyone and usually heard only on the nets.  I don't recall hearing it anywhere else?   It's making a QSO.

$.02
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:54:09 AM by WH7DX » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: