Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ego CQing: "Checking Propagation On the Long Path"  (Read 8736 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 04:13:42 PM »

For me...

2) When you're working with NETs especially, it can get really hard completing the QSO so anything like 22 - Rifle Shot - 33 (triple - triple?) - 55 Speed Limit - can help.   It doesn't harm anyone and usually heard only on the nets.  I don't recall hearing it anywhere else?   It's making a QSO.

$.02

I would not know about that crap on nets. I DO know If you ever hear me on a net, you can believe that frogs are ice skating in hell. I guess everyone has their price, but yours truly does not.

No, I agree, I don't think you would hear it anywhere else, except channel one-niner.

I guess rednecks are everwhere........  When they are not QRV on their CB's, they are watching Duck Dynasty or Honey Boo Boo.......  I have a brother who fits that mold (but he is not a ham). He is not worth the gunpowder it would take to blow him to hell. He and his fatass wife live in squalor with their cats and roaches(both types, crawler and smokeable).  Did I mention he has a CB base station and one in the truck?  Worthless white boy.

Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:22:13 PM by AF3Y » Logged
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 04:29:43 PM »

For me...

2) When you're working with NETs especially, it can get really hard completing the QSO so anything like 22 - Rifle Shot - 33 (triple - triple?) - 55 Speed Limit - can help.   It doesn't harm anyone and usually heard only on the nets.  I don't recall hearing it anywhere else?   It's making a QSO.

$.02

I would not know about that crap on nets. I DO know If you ever hear me on a net, you can believe that frogs are ice skating in hell. I guess everyone has their price, but yours truly does not.

No, I agree, I don't think you would hear it anywhere else, except channel one-niner.

I guess rednecks are everwhere........  When they are not QRV on their CB's, they are watching Duck Dynasty or Honey Boo Boo.......  I have a brother who fits that mold (but he is not a ham). He is not worth the gunpowder it would take to blow him to hell. He and his fatass wife live in squalor with their cats and roaches(both types, crawler and smokeable).  Did I mention he has a CB base station and one in the truck?  Worthless white boy.

Gene AF3Y

Don't hold back...  Grin

1) I liked Duck Dynasty before most knew what it was..  Don't bother with Boo Boo..

2) I help out with the Geratol Net in the extra band of 80M and it's fun seeing what I can hear and helping those in need of KH6.  It's time I start working on my WAS 80M.    Getting a little closer now.

Ten Four Gene!   Have a good one!   Kiss
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 05:51:25 PM »

SAC contest QRV on 80 meters now.  Amazing how good the band is...  OH, I forgot, that's on CW. You wouldn't wanta go there Cool.

28 go on 80meters for 8BDXCC Grin

73, Gene AF3Y
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »

I think the point is, calling "CQ Long Path" when not specifying the desired area is simply baffling.
Without such context, "Long Path" could be any of the points of the Compass!
This morning, I worked FY French Guiana on 20 m. It turned out to be Short Path to MY QTH, so posted a Cluster spot accordingly.
FY was also my 249th DXCC this year, so the total is ticking along for Marathon. I don't believe the Marathon can be won outright by a VK South station, as there are several stations that never come on when the band is open to us.
Anyway, Long Path or Short Path, I don't care, but the information is useful when pointing the beam.
Luke VK3HJ
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 02:18:17 AM »

Gene AF3Y

I've never watched Duck Dynasty but those guys are making about $100,000 an episode which is a lot more than a measly SS check so although nobody is forcing you to watch it about 10 million people a week seem to enjoy the show.

I do occasionally watch Pawn Stars for two reasons:

1) They have filmed so many episodes now that it is on for multiple hours when I can't sleep.

2) Since the store is in Vegas they get people from all over the world bringing in interesting things.  I like baseball collectibles and old guns, some of which were made in nearby Springfield.  I also like to watch them fire a cannon or a 150 year old gun.  I notice the cast member who is not family is always selected to shoot those old guns, and for good reason.  It is extremely dangerous!
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 03:24:25 AM »

With due respect I don't think this is egotistical or stupid.  My local DX buddy called CQ long path Africa and ZS8Z and ZS8C answered him Shocked. This happened just a few days ago.  A few years ago he called CQ Asia and a station in Timor Leste answered him.  Ditto for Wake Island.  If I were a DX station located in the Indian Ocean and I hear a stateside station calling for DX in the Indian Ocean I would answer it. Lastly people call for specific geographical areas because they are not interested in garden variety DX.  This is no different from a station in Europe calling CQ DX outside of Europe.  Just my $0.02.

Jonathan W6GX

I don't think it's stupid, either. I have a local friend who routinely calls "CQ DX Africa" and he usually works several ZS stations in a row. I told him to be prepared for flack because he is in essence just calling CQ South Africa due to the small number of hams in the rest of Africa.  If ZS is open, there is a good chance the Southern Indian Ocean Islands are also open so I don't see the problem combining  both. Now, this is a short path opening on 20 meters he is working and I would not call CQ DX Central Asia whatever the path.  It depends on how reliable the path is.  The East Coast to VK/ZL 20 meter late afternoon opening is very reliable and would probably be the only LP opening I would call CQ DX for.

When the Indonesian stations started coming in daily on 15 meters this spring I was calling "CQ DX Asia" in the hope I'd flush out some of the weaker Indian or Indonesian stations running 100W to a dipole or vertical, or another rare Asian country. I worked some but I quit after about a week because I was constantly getting calls from Europe and it became a real pain in the ass to tell them I only wanted Asia. Some European stations simply would not give up until they got a report so I really gave in to the bad behavior of some.

As for putting a comment on the cluster about the QSO being LP, I think that can be very helpful.  During October and January, 10 meters opened some mornings to South East Asia for about a week each time but they were only LP openings. I was able to work  South China, Hong Kong, Laos and Vietnam (Alas, no Cambodia).  Beside being rare 10 meter contacts, that they were via the long path was very important so I included it.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 06:46:27 AM »

Is it also ego CQ'ing, when I drop a CQ on an apparently empty band mostly to look myself up in Reversebeacon? I'm guessing so... I'm probably more interested in whether the band is open, than in actually stirring up QSO's with that call.

12M and 10M are very nicely open to EU this AM, BTW :-). 15M was just spectacularly good in SAC CW.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 06:50:39 AM by N3QE » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 06:49:19 AM »

Here's a way too-brief audio clip of W2NQ/7 in action. Now listen to that for 30 minutes at a crack every evening for years!  One of the many reasons I almost never work 20 meter sideband.

http://www.papays.com/w2nq1.wav
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 07:51:44 AM »

I think that "checking propagation on the long path" CQ call is just a front for their vain and ego building purpose of checking them selves out on their equalizer monitoring scope. Same as the CW folks are in love with their side tone.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 10:01:25 AM »

Here's a way too-brief audio clip of W2NQ/7 in action. Now listen to that for 30 minutes at a crack every evening for years!  One of the many reasons I almost never work 20 meter sideband.

http://www.papays.com/w2nq1.wav

If you comment is referring to a waste of bandwidth how is this any different than thousands of people calling CQ contest every weekend all year round?

Jonathan W6GX
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 12:50:39 PM »

On a certain Net, I sometimes hear "2 by 2 Rifle Shot, Rifle Shot" reports.

Luke VK3HJ

DAMNED REDNECK CB types, "posing" as Ham Radio Operators.

Gene AF3Y

I remember back in the early 80's when I had just got involved in SSB and a net, the NCO would shout
out some "clues" to "hep" the boys out that couldn't hear the DX station very well (at all?), and I was so naïve it took me a while to understand what he was doing - and I clearly remember the " Rifle Shot, Rifle Shot" clue. Oh, the........memories Huh
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 01:50:53 PM »

On a certain Net, I sometimes hear "2 by 2 Rifle Shot, Rifle Shot" reports.

Luke VK3HJ

DAMNED REDNECK CB types, "posing" as Ham Radio Operators.

Gene AF3Y

I remember back in the early 80's when I had just got involved in SSB and a net, the NCO would shout
out some "clues" to "hep" the boys out that couldn't hear the DX station very well (at all?), and I was so naïve it took me a while to understand what he was doing - and I clearly remember the " Rifle Shot, Rifle Shot" clue. Oh, the........memories Huh

Me too..   and that was just last Fall!    Grin

I was hoping the CQ article on a Valid Call Sign would have touched on this instead of what the RST ratings are.

With the NET - you most often know the Call Sign.. therefore you need to hear the Signal Report to be considered a valid QSL.   Otherwise - just the Call Sign is fine - the other data should match.   If you have a QSL Card - the Card Checker is assuming they wrote the correct information down. 
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 05:46:17 PM »

the NCO would shout
out some "clues" to "hep" the boys out

Yep, if Net Nutters can bastardize the phonetic alphabet, then I can only assume that using less than proper English is totally acceptable for use along with it. 

Some people get so wrapped up in themselves they don't even notice.......... Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y
WA7SGS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 08:22:55 PM »

Giving accurate RST reports and getting them is something I like.  Propagation conditions are so random and interesting!  If I wanted 5x9's all the time I'd put a mike and camera on my computer and chat...LOL!  Radio is like fishing.  You never know what you'll catch or if you will catch anything.  That's the thrill!  So if someone is really 3x3 but a QSO can be squeezed out, the QSO is what it is.  The next day it could be 5x9 or not even able to be done.  Sometimes all we can catch are bullheads and snags.  Other times we land the Big Ones.

Rick
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 01:20:17 AM »

Giving accurate RST reports and getting them is something I like.  Propagation conditions are so random and interesting!  If I wanted 5x9's all the time I'd put a mike and camera on my computer and chat...LOL!  Radio is like fishing.  You never know what you'll catch or if you will catch anything.  That's the thrill!  So if someone is really 3x3 but a QSO can be squeezed out, the QSO is what it is.  The next day it could be 5x9 or not even able to be done.  Sometimes all we can catch are bullheads and snags.  Other times we land the Big Ones.

Rick

I'm with you.   I like to know how the signal is coming over as well. 

Sometimes its good to remember what a radio can mean to tens of thousand of people around the world - and what a great hobby it is.  To be able to talk to people around the world with nothing but a little wireless energy.   Its very unique and for those not mobile - it's very comforting.   
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: