Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Question: Where's the magic in the high end transceivers?  (Read 33619 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2013, 02:56:00 AM »

KK6GNP

When I commented that parameters such as phase noise, intermodulation etc aren't specified, you said:

>It's relevant to the current generation in frequencies where most of the current tech devices are.  Tomorrow's radios probably won't be concerned much with HF.  That particular device was made for experimenting, prototyping, programming, etc. which is why it's called HackRF.<

Sorry, they are VERY relevant to anything below 78GHz. Do you think that such parameters would appear in professional standards if they weren't? There's also the transmit side where the current SDR offerings aren't as clean as is desirable.
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2013, 09:57:12 AM »

KK6GNP

When I commented that parameters such as phase noise, intermodulation etc aren't specified, you said:

>It's relevant to the current generation in frequencies where most of the current tech devices are.  Tomorrow's radios probably won't be concerned much with HF.  That particular device was made for experimenting, prototyping, programming, etc. which is why it's called HackRF.<

Sorry, they are VERY relevant to anything below 78GHz. Do you think that such parameters would appear in professional standards if they weren't? There's also the transmit side where the current SDR offerings aren't as clean as is desirable.

Did you ever find the specs for the board?  I think it's still in active development.

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »

There should be a 'design aim' or a 'spec to which we are working'. Otherwise, it must be no more than 'amateur-shamateur' or at best ' totally non-professional competence approach'. But even 'amateur-shamateur' needs to be able to show it meets Part 97.
KB6QXM

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2013, 05:15:31 AM »

What I find interesting is that it seemed like Elecraft followers answered your question. The answers were SDR versus conventional radios. If I am not mistaken, the original question was the price point of a high-end radio and high-end price point versus the performance/satisfaction of a kit. I guess you really have to define what you are going to do with the radio and in what circumstances. If you want to have an old-fashioned local rag chew with very little QRM, then an inexpensive kit radio might do well for you. If you are a contester in the big gun arena, then maybe some better designed radios might be in order.

Do I believe that the high-end has it purpose. Yes, but again, it is the environment that you will subject the radio to, how deep your pockets are, do you really need a high-end radio? Some people are happy being 100watt rag chewers. Others are the "radio sport" people who need the performance of a highly designed radio. In my opinion, there is diminishing returns. I believe that you will get a thousand opinions here. The advantages of high-end conventional radios versus high-end SDRs versus low-end conventional versus low-end SDR. It depends on your application.

The only thing that bothers me is the almost "cult" like bias from each of the camps. I have owned low-end conventional to high-end conventional to high-end SDR. They all have their + and -

My message is define what you are going to use the radio for, define your budget and make a purchasing decision in that matter.

73 de KB6QXM
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: