Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thrown' in the towel on Rte. 66  (Read 27281 times)
WA8MEA

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2013, 05:53:09 AM »

This use to be fun.  Now, after observing for several years, I've come to realize that certain stations are not going to show up to the event, while others barely make an appearance.

Some observations yesterday:

One gentleman had a Sunday net to run.  This was his first night on.  Seems he would have gotten a sub for his net so he could run Route 66.  If you aren't going to commit the time, let others take part and be the Route 66 stations.  I'd love to be one, if I lived along the Route. (Sometimes I feel like starting a U.S. 12 SE....)

Second, NO EXCUSE for the op that flew off the handle because someone suggested he should call by the numbers.  It was a legit request since the pileup was WAY out of hand and causing more QRM than contacts.  Basically, he said he was doing it "my way or the highway" to the op requesting call areas.  Going by call areas would have cut down on the QRM, which should have been a primary concern if he was a courteous amateur op.

Kudos to The 13 Colonies and The Kansas QSO Party.  Perhaps the Route 66 people need to get some pointers from those folks.
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:12:34 AM »

UPDATE:

I just heard another ham state that he was the last person to talk with W6I, who hasn't been seen/heard all weekend.  He popped in for about ten minutes this morning and then left.  Claimed he couldn't hear anything.  Someone questioned (via the Cluster) why he participates each year since he never really participates.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 04:38:03 PM »

Pileups on special event stations are a BIG problem. Tried QSO'ing W6H, the Route 66 stn out of Albuquerque, but couldn't get through. And then there was W3G, the Gettysburg 150th anniversary stn-Ken's pileup was so bad I didn't try. Still sent him a QSL, though, and he was nice enough to reply. The Route 66 event sounds like a nightmare-a dozen different ops in various parts of the Midwest and West.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:10:37 AM »

I ran into W6G the other night, 12m CW, and smiled, thinking "Hey, it's that time of year again."  It's always fun to run into the Route 66 stations when they're on.

It didn't occur to me to gripe about not hearing the OTHER Route 66 stations, or complain that they aren't volunteering enough of their time, or complain that one of them lost his temper in a pileup.  Seems to me that it's better to enjoy it and thank the people who volunteer to do the work, really.
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 03:34:02 PM »

I picked up my first-ever Route 66 contact on Monday, I think - W6S - and he was thrilled to hear from me since he'd never personally worked a VE5 before.  It's contacts like this that make amateur radio a blast.
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »

Who is working TO4E?  I've been listening but haven't heard a whisper yet.

I just got my emailed copy of "QRZ DX" a little while ago and there's an update in the email saying the TO4E team has had some trouble with weather and getting their antennas up.  I've sure got my fingers crossed that all goes well for them!  :-) Looks like they'll be in the contest this weekend with a different callsign, TO4WW. --Ken AC4RD

Ken:

Now I don't know if you had success with TO4E or not.  But....let me ask you....what if TO4E put announcements into QST, the ARRL website and other ham websites each year for over a decade....and then didn't show up?  Would your fingers still be crossed?  Or would you feel that something was amiss?

Just sayin'....
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:47:00 PM by WA8MEA » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: