Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wondering why a thread was deleted....  (Read 44512 times)
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 05:02:55 AM »

The only thing I could find was in the FAQs where it says, "eHam.net, however, reserves the right to summarily, without warning or notice, delete any posts we deem inappropriate."

"eHam.net members, however, reserve the right to summarily ask, without warning or notice, why any posts were deleted."

Shocked

K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 06:03:10 AM »

I would think it would be considered common courtesy to at least let the original poster know why his thread was deleted.....?
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 06:06:24 AM »

I bet Zeva and McGee could solve the mystery.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »

Can anyone speak to why the thread listed below was deleted?  I was following it and noticed it just disappeared.  I did not see anything that would be considered offensive.

Title: Calling all Elmers willing to help on the SAFE Net

Url: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,92281.msg701428.html#msg701428

It was located in the Elmers forum and seems to have disappeared around 9/18 - 9/19.

I have been away - and I just noticed this thread. 

I have not talked to the person that moved this thread.  But I can see several things.

It is not really on topic for the Elmers forum.  In reading the post I am not sure where it should go
maybe MISC. 

It also seems to have generated a number of complaints - most for being off topic or not the place to post this thread and the like.
It is possible that it was moved to the wrong place or the admin felt it was off topic or not appropriate for some reason.

George
K5TR
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 02:40:16 AM »

Just lost my bet.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 04:29:46 AM »

I have not talked to the person that moved this thread.

I think the issue was that the thread was not moved, it was deleted.

For me, the problem was not with the actual post, but with the SAFE net web site that was referenced in the post. While being prepared is definitely a good thing, this web site was full of all sorts of flaws almost too numerous to mention.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 04:57:13 AM »

The thread was not moved, it was deleted.   When a thread is moved, the original thread title stays in the old forum with an indicator that it has been moved, no such indicator was there.  I agree, Elmers is probably not the best place for it, however, it should not have just been deleted and then on top of that, no explanation or response given to the original poster.  Personally, I think the person that did this should have their moderator powers stripped as they clearly do not have a grasp on what the true responsibilities of a moderator are and how to exercise them with discretion and grace.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 06:37:33 AM »

I have been away - and I just noticed this thread.  

I have not talked to the person that moved this thread.  But I can see several things.

It is not really on topic for the Elmers forum.  In reading the post I am not sure where it should go
maybe MISC.  

It also seems to have generated a number of complaints - most for being off topic or not the place to post this thread and the like.
It is possible that it was moved to the wrong place or the admin felt it was off topic or not appropriate for some reason.

Here is a suggestion that would be nice to pass upstream...  If I thread is deleted, please, please please, I implore you, put a note where the thread used to be.  This will let everyone know, including the thread creator, what happened, and why.  That is called a learning experience.  It will help train your users in what to do, and what to not do.  It will also hold the moderators feet to the fire for what they do...  Overall this process has worked in hundreds of other on line forums.  When you just delete a thread, and say nothing, no one learns anything but that eham secretly deletes threads.

I have had this happen to me, twice now, once my fault, and once the moderator made an error, he corrected it, and then replaced the thread.  In both cases I just "happened" on the missing thread, I had no idea they had been deleted, this  frankly feels sneaky to me, and I bet to others.  Plus when things like this happen and eham gets caught, it looks bad for eham.  Yes, I know eham reserves the right to delete anything it wants, for any reason, (and it needs too have this right), but it would feel less sneaky if the people deleting things owned what they did, in public...  All this sort of thing does is make the users trust eham less...  Rumors start, no one knows what happened, and so everybody starts guessing...  Please please please, pass this upstream.

BTW: Here is a thread that should be deleted:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,92365.msg702509.html#msg702509
It is suggesting the theft of copyrighted material...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:42:49 AM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 07:27:36 AM »

The thread was not moved, it was deleted.   

No. The thread was NOT deleted.  It was in "limbo" but now it's in Misc.

Sorry for the turbulence.

Mike N2MG
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 08:05:34 AM »

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,92365.msg702509.html#msg702509

If you would like to report a post please use the "Report to ...." link on that post.

George
K5TR
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 09:11:51 AM »

If you would like to report a post please use the "Report to ...." link on that post.

What is "limbo"?

Thanks,
Dave
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 09:14:46 AM »

I looked for that, and missed it, thank you.  Reported.

Thanks,
Dave
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 09:25:48 AM »

Limbo means that from the user perspective it has been deleted as there is no way to see it or know what happened to it.  So from our perspective it had been deleted.   Technically it was still in the system, just not visible to anyone until it got moved to the Misc forum.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 10:49:06 AM »

No. The thread was NOT deleted.  It was in "limbo" but now it's in Misc.

Sorry for the turbulence.

Mike N2MG

So come clean... was the thread deleted (even if it was temporary) because there was something about it that a moderator or admin (we don't need to know who it was) did not think was appropriate or was it simply a mistake?

I can not speak for everyone here, but I am asking because if there was something inappropriate about the thread, I would like to know what it was so that this sort of thing does not happen again... to me!
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 11:21:55 AM »

>I can not speak for everyone here, but I am asking because if there was something inappropriate about the thread, I would like to know what it was so that this sort of thing does not happen again... to me!

Me too, which is the reason I posted the initial inquiry.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: