Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just bought a vintage radio, and i dont know how to use it  (Read 59690 times)
KK6ELP

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2013, 05:46:12 PM »

So i just bought a Monarch Ham-1 receiver from a thrift store for $2.00
And im not sure how to use it, does anybody know how to use?

Reply's appreciated, thanks!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 06:20:49 PM »

Turn on and turn up the volume. Tuning sets the receive frequency then use bandspread to make minor adjustments to tune in the desired station. Band switch selects the frequency band (tuning range). Turn B.F.O. off to receive AM stations. Turn B.F.O. on to receive SSB and CW stations.
KK6ELP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 12:17:07 AM »

Thanks for the answer! it works great, but i dont know of any am frequency's in my area, and my only transmitter is a FM.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 05:43:04 AM »

Try and get a manual off the internet if you can.  Google the manufacturer and model number and see what you get.  The site 'mods.dk' may have it, but I just don't know.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 12:06:24 PM »

The receiver covers 1.8 to 30 Mhz which means the stations don't have to be nearby. You may occasionally hear some ham AM stations near the top end of 40M (7.3 MHz). You should hear a number of AM short wave broadcast stations between 8 and 13 MHz. You should hear plenty of CW and SSB stations on most of the ham bands. 80M (3.5 MHz), 40M (7 MHz) and 20M (14 MHz) being the most popular. Of course you should hear plenty of AM broadcast stations on 550 KHz to 1500 KHz.
KI4ENS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »

Hi KK6ELP, 

Since it does AM,  you can try at night to pick up shortwave broadcasting stations too.  I usually pickup Radio Havana without too much problems with just a long wire.  Last time I did,  they were around 6 MHz.

Also check out WWV.  It is at 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20MHz.  It is also a good way to check to see if the dial is off or not.

KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 12:41:55 PM »

So i just bought a Monarch Ham-1 receiver from a thrift store for $2.00
And im not sure how to use it, does anybody know how to use?

Reply's appreciated, thanks!

I googled that radio, not much info on it. Apparently it's a Japan-made tube SW rx from around 1970-ish. It isn't worth anything, and like most of the other cheap SW receivers from the 60s and 70s, was intended to hear Soviet Bloc and W European SW. It really isn't made to listen to hams. You could open it up and see if there are any original tubes or other ID markings, Japanese electronics companies made stuff under a dizzying array of pseudonyms, probably to get around anti-Japanese xenophobia. I once had an "Arvin" tube AM radio from 1965 or so that was actually made by Toshiba, and the only clue was "TEN" (Toshiba Electronics Nippon) on a couple tubes.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 03:15:30 PM »

Sorry I'm late to this party -- just saw the thread.

The radio is identical in appearance to a Hallicrafters S-120 ... so I'd guess that its operation would be the same.

The S-120 Owners Guide can be downloaded from:
bama.edebris.com/download/hallicra/s120/s120.pdf

Mel - KS2G

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: