Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What tool to disconnect DC connector  (Read 6961 times)
K7NHB

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2014, 08:24:14 PM »

I understand designers live with never being right. If they design a plug to come undone easily, someone will complain. If they design it to stay connected, someone will complain. That being said, I was trying out an FT-450D today and put 30 Amp PowerPoles on the battery end. Worked great - until I started to break it down to put the rig back in its Pelican case. The rig side power connecter requires pushing a very small area of plastic right next to the rig in order to release the connector. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do it with any finger tip. T'were it me, I would have had a release with a squeeze on the side of the connector.  So I found a flat screw driver and used the blade to push the release.

I'm hoping I don't have to carry a flat blade screw drive around to take off the power cord each time I want to put the rig away.  Has anyone discovered some other tool out there that aids in pushing such buttons.  I can image something that would fit on a thumb for such buttons on a kayak paddle and I've used a small pebble for that type of release. But the "button" on this particular power cable is a bit harder to reach.

Any creative solutions out there.

Thank you and 73,
Paul K7NHB
K7NHB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 10:14:13 PM »

Maybe I could sand down that "button" a bit. I can understand the solid connection if this were a permanent installation. But as a "portable rig", in my case, that power cable will be connected/disconnected each time I use it.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:44:07 AM »

The rig side power connecter requires pushing a very small area of plastic right next to the rig in order to release the connector. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do it with any finger tip. T'were it me, I would have had a release with a squeeze on the side of the connector. 

That is how they work. Grip connector with thumb and index finger, press down on the bit with the tab with your thumb. I've never used a screwdriver on that type of connector.
K7NHB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 09:22:03 AM »

That usually works for me too. It's just on this one, the tab is so close the the back edge of the rig that it's difficult to any "meat" of my thumb on it to push down. I'm guessing that also, as it is brand new, so especially stiff. Maybe it will become finger manageable after working it for half and hour or so.

Paul K7NHB
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:30:02 AM »

Why don't you cut the power cord at about 4 to 6 inches from the connector, put power poles on it and on the other end of the power cord so they can be plugged in together? Now you don't even need to fuss with that molex connector.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 05:50:48 AM »

Another way to go would be to thread an ordinary paper clip onto the wire harness just after the plug.  No, it won't short anything out unless the harness was wired poorly.  When you want to disconnect, just grab the paper clip and use it to push down the tab.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 07:52:19 PM »

Another vote for adding Power Pole connectors. I have one or two old radios with three different sets of connectors, for various reasons, e.g. mfg Molex, Automotive
T type and Power Pole.
SM6XUN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 09:18:59 AM »

agree on powerpoles, i did cut the Cable on my "portable" FT-450 at around ten inches and used powerpoles.

If that is not an option (i usually dont like pigtails that much..) you maybe can glue a piece of plastic on top of the tab so there is something for your fingers to find and press to release the connector.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:48:08 PM »

Why don't you cut the power cord at about 4 to 6 inches from the connector, put power poles on it and on the other end of the power cord so they can be plugged in together? Now you don't even need to fuss with that molex connector.
That's what I did to my FT-857 and I couldn't be happier with it. MUCH easier to manage. I even included a jumper to enable the low-power battery mode.
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 01:29:11 PM »

What tool to disconnect DC connector? 

Try this one

http://www.greenlee.com/products/CUTTER%2540c-CABLE.html?product_id=17644
KL7CW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 11:18:44 AM »

You could try a guitar or banjo finger or thumb pick.  They tend to be rather strong and many are made of plastic type material which is non conductive and could be easily modified with a file.  I have never tried one on an electronics connector...so just an idea to try.  They are inexpensive on the internet and probably also in your local music store. 
    Rick, KL7CW    Palmer, Alaska

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: