Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dodge Journey rack antenna question  (Read 2220 times)
VA7NAD

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2013, 08:22:34 AM »

Greetings!
I am mounting a quad band antenna on the roof rack of my Dodge Journey, as well as a mobile somewhere on the dash. Can anyone suggest a "safe" route to run the antenna wire inside from up top? I want avoid drilling holes, I renew my vehicles frequently due to milage on the job. I'm also open to suggestions as to how to run the power wires from the battery to the inside, and where to mount the remote faceplate/control on the dash. I have a Wouxun KG-UV950P quad band, and a Comet antenna to match.
Thanks
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 09:17:30 PM »

Save yourself some grief, use a hood lip mount (actually bolts to the innner lip of the fender) for 2m/440, makes running the wires simpler.
But you want a short antenna in your field of view - a longer one will whip around at highway speeds and be very distracting. You can probably run the power wires and the coax out through the door opening, let the door gaskets compress around them.
for 6m/10m, you'll want roof antennas, but if mag mounts are out of the question, mount to the roof rack. to keep life simple, route the coax through the least used door opening. (driver's side rear door usually). Plan for a fold down antenna mount if you will EVER need to enter a parking garage with less than 7' clearance.
VA7NAD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 09:35:43 PM »

I am planning to mount a quad band antenna that has a fold-down feature, I just don't trust myself to remember to stop to do it before entering a garage. Maybe a fender mount would be a logical alternative. Thanks for the post!
VO1GXG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »

I would suggest a lip mount on the top of the gate or a lip mount on the hood. I am not a fan of mag mounts myself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: