Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you tell someone they have a bad fist?  (Read 51471 times)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 09:37:49 AM »

KC8Y,

Since you already have a computer, you might want to look at a program like CWType.

http://www.dxsoft.com/en/products/cwtype/.

It is 100% free plus you can put in 12 macros with the ability to add 12 more using the CTRL key and of course you can type in real time. The only thing you will need is a way to key your radio. I use a "real" serial port, but I believe this can also be made to work with a USB-to-serial adapter.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 03:06:53 PM »

Already have CWget and CWtype software.  My keyer, also accepts my keyboard (as input).  I use the CWget as machine receiving; also use FLdigi software.

Gonna try to see just what speed i can manually (hand)  receive at  CW Smiley

Thanks for info.

LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 04:02:06 PM »

I don't see the point of telling somebody that basically, they suck.

Nobody is forcing you to work a bad fist, if you don't like what you hear just move on.

A friend of mine went to JW-land and wanted to offer other hams a chance to work that prefix.  One of the hams trying to work him must have had trouble getting through, because he did get one message through: "You're the worst DX operator ever!"

I'm sure that made it real tempting for him to do spend his time and money like that again.

I have seen myself spotted on clusters with descriptions such as "loose fingers, no ears" and "have yuo RX ?".  Granted, my sending has been bad at times and it takes time to learn how to handle a pileup, but why should I restrict my practice to the computer when I am actually able to successfully make thousands of contacts ?  Doesn't it go without saying that I can't necessariy hear you just because you can hear me ?

If you don't like what you're hearing, turn that dial.  If you don't like what you're doing, do something else.

K4NL Sid
justlearnmorsecode.com
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 04:10:11 PM »

QSD = "your KEYING is defective".

Doesn't say anything about you, personally, and certainly doesn't say "you suck".

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 09:56:37 AM »

The one thing that bugs me the most though is when i hear an op sending dahs BARELY longer than their dits...   

i suppose the direct thing to do would simply be to send: "pse make ur dashes 3 times longer than ur dits"
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »

The one thing that bugs me the most though is when i hear an op sending dahs BARELY longer than their dits...   

i suppose the direct thing to do would simply be to send: "pse make ur dashes 3 times longer than ur dits"

In the time it takes to do that, I could have already QSY'd and found someone else with a decent fist to talk to!
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »

I think that sometimes people can develop bad habits such as joining letters together to make a strange new sounds and they will not even know it. Bad sending with a bug can be hell on your ears. But as many have said, a bad fist might be due to some sort of disability. Why be cruel and nasty if you can just move on or not respond.  I'm sure that when nobody responds or they cut you off really fast, you figure it out.  Grin
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 05:24:06 AM »

Oh, you HAVE worked me, then.  :-)   I've got a problem with muscle tremor, the last few years.  It makes it hard for me to send by hand unless I slow WAY down. 
i wonder if a breath key would help? I saw a reference but can't dig it up at the moment.

73, wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 05:35:36 AM »

Or do this...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y-yOz0-Vv0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6Y-yOz0-Vv0

Grin

Wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 09:05:40 AM »

2S:  That's a great YouTube video...... K8LKC is without a doubt the most prolific and talented key maker I've ever seen!  Beautiful keys!

Worth the look.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 10:38:35 AM »

I'd never tell someone they had a bad fist.  I might say "I'm having trouble copying you" but would leave the reason unstated.  I suspect that most operators with bad fists are already well aware of their difficulties. The earlier suggestions of using a keyboard keyer or some type of CW software such as  CWType software are the same as I would have offered.  CWType is a  a freebie and does an excellent job.  It actually has 36 available slots for macros so if you're very limited  you can at least employ a diverse selection of material to send.

It's probably been more than 50 years since I've heard a CW operator with a really pronounced "banana boat swing."  I kinda miss it.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 01:42:29 PM »

I wouldn't. I have no idea if they have some sort of disability that is preventing them from sending good code. I would feel like a complete jerk if I made some sort of suggestion / criticism and the came back with why they might be sending the way they are. If I work someone with difficult-to-understand cw I just get through the QSO as best I can and enjoy the contact.
AE7UT

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 04:10:02 PM »

I'm new to CW and only send at about 10-12 WPM.

The other night I sent CQ and got a call back.  After a couple of exchanges I had a difficult time copying the guy.  He just seemed to be struggling to send well.  He then explained he was in his 80's and was struggling after having had a stroke.  It was a great chat and I'm glad I hung in there.  I hope when part of my brain is mush some younger guy will bear with me as well.  I don't think I've met a rude CW Op yet and I doubt I'd be an active ham if all I had was SSB.

Thanks to all of those who have helped me learn this great facet of ham radio.

Stan AE7UT
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 04:38:02 PM »

The only rude CW ops I've run into have also been anonymous.

Wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
AG6EB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 03:44:04 PM »

i'm pretty new and spend way more time listening than talking, but the one thing that totally screws up my copying is running letters together, i guess because i've not yet internalized all the letter rhythms to the point that i can distinguish them without spacing. maybe a symptom of learning the "farnsworth" way. anyway, i am new enough that I am absolutely not going to even consider criticizing someone else's sending. i'll ask them to repeat themselves a few times and if it is clear it's not going to happen i'll excuse myself with "sri no copy" and give up. i've gotten better at dealing with odd dot-dash ratios and can even copy bug users now and then but run-together letters just completely throw me off and I get totally lost.

I've also noticed that lots of people seem to send extra dots, it seems very common. i've certainly done it too and since as a new cw op i generally still know what's meant, i assume more experienced ops don't find it a problem at all.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: