Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom vs Yaesu HF rig  (Read 10326 times)
KC6SLA

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2013, 07:13:17 AM »

I am looking at upgrading my HF rig from an Icom IC-735.
I have been looking at the Icom 746pro (used of course) and the Icom IC-7410.
I just noticed however that there are deals on the Yaesu FT-950 as I guess they are coming out with a new radio. So my question is, what to people prefer (Icom or Yaesu) and why? I have been an Icom person for may years and don't have much experience with Yaesu rigs. I am a casual operator and would like to have some of the features the newer rigs offer like DSP and DNR.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:07:15 AM »

That is a bit like asking people whether strawberry or watermelon is better.  About 95% of the choice is what feels better, seems easier to use, etc., to YOU.   I've got a 950 and love it, but if you've been using Icom for years, you might not like the Yaesu interface.  If you've got other hams in your area, maybe talk to them, get some hands-on time with their rigs, so you can get a better feel for what would suit your own preferences.  73 GL!  --ken
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:49:43 AM »

I acquired the IC-7410, when it came out; also have the IC-V8000. 

Use to have the IC-736.

Have always had good luck for last 25-years with the ICOM name.  Guess I'm lucky.

Good luck-choosing !!!

Ken-KC8Y
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:49:31 AM »

There are many comps and opinions on rigs you may have an interest in already posted in the pertinent forums here or the review section that may be worth a look see.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 10:58:13 AM »

I think that with the yaseu FT 1200 and the 3000 just hitting the market, Yaseu will be just about giving away the 950.  They have already stopped producing and or selling the FT 2000. IMHO look for a better radio.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »

One factor to consider - the display. I am delighted with the black on white display of my 746Pro. Radios with various color LED's are a problem for me, my old eyes have problems focusing on blue and red combinations - paper white with black letters is easy to read in any light. I think Icom is the only one with this display setup.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 04:30:19 AM »

I was facing this very same decision about a year ago after my exisiting radio was damaged during a nearby lightning strike and I ended up with an IC-7410. I have also had other Icom HF rigs and have been happy with them all.

One thing I like is the direct USB connection to the computer. No more separate CI-V and sound card cables. This also means you no longer need an outboard sound card interface for the digital modes, except for FSK RTTY and CW which require separate connections. You can still do AFSK RTTY through the USB connection.

And speaking of RTTY, I really like Icom's dedicated RTTY functions and features like Twin Peak Filtering.

But at the end of the day, I does just come down to personal preference. If I had chosen the FT-950 instead, I am sure I would be here telling you what a great radio it is!
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 05:09:17 AM »

I had an IC-735 for years and I loved it. Then I got an FT-950 and I love it, too! It is a major improvement over the '735 and for the price point, it's hard to beat and it's more than adequate performance-wise.I've had mine almost 6  years and I'm still very happy with it. But I agree with previous posters, the ergonomics of a radio are a personal thing so you have to go with what you're comfortable with. I think you will be happy with either of your choices.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 10:27:47 AM »

Hay, what about a Kenwood ?
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 02:22:24 PM »

I have been looking at the Icom 746pro (used of course)

You might also consider a used Icom 756PROII or III.
KC6SLA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 08:03:51 AM »

The only reason I was thinking about going with the Yaesu FT-950 was that there are sales on them right now. I am guessing that a new radio is coming out. Also the FT-950 looks like it comes with some extra filters that the Icom have as options. Sounds like the quality of the rigs is about the same and it is like the old Ford chevy argument (personal preference). It is just hard to switch as I have mainly used Icoms over the years. It seems like more people have Yaesu (and Kenwood) rigs based on who I talk to though.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 08:23:10 AM »

... it is like the old Ford chevy argument (personal preference). It is just hard to switch as I have mainly used Icoms over the years. It seems like more people have Yaesu (and Kenwood) rigs based on who I talk to though.

It's exactly like Ford/Chevy, that's a good comparison.  Smiley  The 950 HAS been discontinued and that would put a lot of people off, but prices appear to have dropped, and the 950 was (IMO) a great "bang for the buck" value even before the price drop.  A lot of rigs have Yahoo groups devoted to them; it might help you decide if you browse those groups and see what users say about their radios.  And there are probably youtube videos of various radios; watching some of those might be helpful, too.

The GOOD side of this is that if you buy a fairly modern good quality radio, you can probably sell it later without losing too much money, if you decide you just don't like it.  73 GL!  --ken
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 08:30:57 PM »

The 746PRO will give you 100 watts on 2m SSB, the other models don't cover 2m at all.  Might be important to you, might not be.  I like 2m SSB.  For the difference in price, I am not sure the 7410 would be that much better than the 950.  Use the extra money on antennas.  The TS590 is a little cheaper than the 7410 and it has the best receiver numbers of all of them.

John AF5CC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: