Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed progress...I hope.  (Read 8093 times)
KA0HVE

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »

About 30 years ago when I got my general class license I could receive at 15+ wpm which gave me a little breathing room for my code test.

After a 20 year hiatus I'm trying to get back up to speed on my code.  I think I'm making some progress but I don't remember how I progressed 30 years ago.

I can only copy and write at about 10 wpm but when I try copying just in my head at 18 wpm I'm able to get words like 'geomagnetic', 'currently', 'accurate', etc. so I feel like I'm doing okay.

The other day while I was practicing copying and writing at 13 wpm I was noticing that at times I'm copying a word in my head as I'm writing the previous word.  I hope this is a sign that I'm progressing.  Up until then I was simply writing each letter than comes to me and I'm not able to keep up.

Is this buffering of words what is needed to progress to the next step?  Like I said, I don't remember how I progressed years ago.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 04:40:29 AM »

Your buffering of words is what we used to call "copying behind" many years ago; yes it is a good thing!  Unless you are planning on handling traffic, you really don't need to write everything down.  Head copy and writing down notes from that is what is important.  So, it sounds like you are already developing those skills, too.  Have fun,
Chuck  NI0C
KA0HVE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 07:15:56 AM »

I guess I'm still trying to write everything down because of the code testing I went through years ago.

I had thought about just keeping a text file opened with notepad and typing in name, QTH, RST, etc.  Might be a LOT simpler.

Thanks.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 07:40:33 AM »

I guess I'm still trying to write everything down because of the code testing I went through years ago.

I hear you! Another reason might be for entering the ARRL Code Proficiency "Qualifying Runs."  But most people carry on extensive QSO's just using head copy-- like listening to a normal conversation.

I had thought about just keeping a text file opened with notepad and typing in name, QTH, RST, etc.  Might be a LOT simpler.

Or, use a good logging program to enter those details.  I use the free DXLab module: DKKeeper for that.
Chuck  NI0C

AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 08:32:18 AM »

Good going -- I second NI0C's comments.  I keep my logging program open and just type in call, rst, qth, name.  In the notes field, I type notes relating to the conversation so that I remember what we're talking about.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 08:52:49 AM »

I too echo NI0C's comments....up to using a logging program to enter pertinent data.....

The reason for this hesitation is because of my age I have a great deal of trouble listening to a CW conversation while trying to figure out a logging program.  While I can head copy at 30+ WPM, if I try electronic logging at the same time, it all goes to hell.

To interpret this, if you can handle electronic logging while listening, great.  However, it is something else to distract you while listening to a station.  Most just learning code or getting back into as you are not able to handle the mental work load at this time.

Make it easy on yourself in the beginning.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 07:29:12 AM »

If you aren't already using it you might want to use the Farnsworth code learning method.

KA0HVE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 08:04:22 AM »

I've been practicing copying in my head.  10 wpm now seems to be much slower than before.  I'm getting a bit better at 18 wpm.

Wednesday and Thursday during my work breaks (an hour) and early Thursday morning I used my MP3 player and listened to ARRL code practice sessions from 10 wpm to 18 wpm.  I think just casually listening to code is helping.

WX7G, do you know if the ARRL practice sessions use the Farnsworth method?  I thought they did but I'm not certain.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »

ARRL practice is regular normal Morse code. The good spacing, not crazy spacing.

paul
KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 04:03:14 PM »

It seems you are doing well.  I used on air practice and it worked for me(some times I just listen to QSO's and took notes).  I just worked those who were at a comfortable speed and the head copy worked itself out. 

I take notes on paper and just relax and enjoy the conversation.  When I want to work on speed I participate in a contest of work some DX both of which will help you along.  So relax and enjoy the journey there is no test at the end.  73 Mike ke4ilg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: