Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transferring messages to new computer  (Read 19264 times)
WB6DGN

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2013, 03:22:34 PM »

I'm using Mozilla blunderturd as my mail client (well, nobody said I knew anything about computers).
I am trying to figure out how to save the messages to a CD for later transfer to a different computer.  I've looked everywhere in the program for an "archive" function, gone to the Mozilla site and tried everything I can think of (not that much, I'm not that computer literate) with no success.
I would like to be able to access the messages off of the CD when needed as well as be able to transfer them at a later date.  Even MS Outlook allowed this rather painlessly but with this program, if its even possible, it sure makes a big production out of finding how to do it.
Any ideas or suggestions?  Also, does anyone know of a more competent mail client; I've had all I can stand of this piece of junk.
Tom
K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »

Create a folder on your computer and send them to that folder then save the folder to a  Google Cloud account. You can retrieve them any time later you want. I use it as a back up for some of my other programs. And it seems to be quite safe.

Rick ^i^
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 07:01:32 AM »

Hold the phone for a second. What email service are you using? If it is a iMAP service like gmail, then you are simply sync'ing with gmail and all you have to do is set up your account on the new machine and it will all re-sync. If it's a POP service then you need to manually transfer them. Check that out first.

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:21:18 AM »

I'm using Mozilla blunderturd as my mail client (well, nobody said I knew anything about computers).
I am trying to figure out how to save the messages to a CD for later transfer to a different computer ...

Mozbackup is exactly what you need. It works very well - I've used it to transfer email and browser accounts to new computers -

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 03:04:20 PM »

If it's a POP service then you need to manually transfer them. Check that out first.

Yes, it is a POP service through AT&T.  Used the suggestions and was able to do what I needed and also to make a CD for temporary reference while setting up new computer.  Thanks to everyone for the helpful information.  Should have realized that it was a relatively simple procedure.  Seems those are the ones that trip me up most often.  Guess I'm expecting everything to be more complicated that it really is.
Tom
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 08:02:50 AM »

Just out of curiosity; With so many great services, such as Gmail out there, why use POP?  With Gmail, for example, you can use corporate sync, so your emails, contacts and calendars are always in the cloud.  If you lose or damage your hardware, you don't lose your data.  You don't have to back anything up, and when you get new hardware, you just put your account settings in, and sync up again.

POP is an antiquated protocol that needs to go away, IMO.  It was fine when there was nothing else, but even IMAP is far superior, and it's old too.

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 12:17:20 PM »

Well I use POP. It works for me and I suppose I don't know any better!

As an aside..all this cloud stuff is great for those with a decent internet connections.....mine is poor and bandwidth limited, so cloud is not a great option for me. I have waited over 10 years for DSL....it is never coming. It is a choice of dsl or a ham radio tower. You can guess which I chose.

Mark N1UK
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 12:19:40 PM by N1UK » Logged
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 01:23:14 PM »

Just out of curiosity; With so many great services, such as Gmail out there, why use POP?

In a word; PRIVACY (at least, what there is left of it).  When I send an email describing a particular item I'm considering buying, I DON'T want a swarm of advertisers clogging what little space I have left on my drive with their garbage.  And, it DOES happen, especially with the "free" email accounts.
Tom
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »

Just out of curiosity; With so many great services, such as Gmail out there, why use POP?

In a word; PRIVACY (at least, what there is left of it).  When I send an email describing a particular item I'm considering buying, I DON'T want a swarm of advertisers clogging what little space I have left on my drive with their garbage.  And, it DOES happen, especially with the "free" email accounts.
Tom

There is no privacy with online communications, there never was.  Your emails pass through servers, and copies/logs are stored per legally required retention policies. Email passed to your client is done so in the clear, unless you are encrypting all your messages point to point.

As for spam, I've been using Gmail since it launched, and I see maybe one (1) unsolicited spam message in my inbox per month.  The rest are filtered out by their brilliant anti-spam system.  The lack of spam was one of the reasons I stuck with them in the first place, and for many years now, my inbox has remained clean.

I'm not here to sell you on Gmail.  There are other modern services too.  But what you have now, is the potential to lose all your email history if your computer fails, or is stolen, etc.  As an IT Pro, I see it happen all the time.  I hope you at least keep backups on external media.  I use cloud backup for all my important data.  It's encrypted, and if my computer blows up, I still have access to all of it.  The risks of something happening to it in the cloud are much less than something happening to it on my own hardware.

To each their own.  Just wanted to provide some info.

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 12:08:43 AM »

I hope you at least keep backups on external media....

I've finally started to, beginning from those that would be most painful to lose.  Got a long way to go but, every so often, I copy another bunch to DVD.  I'm finding that its just as easy, if not easier, to retrieve my messages from DVD as it was to search a bunch of archive files on the computer so I'm wondering why I didn't do this sooner.  "Course, a few messages back, when I learned how to copy, opened the door to doing this.
Thanks again to all who offered assistance; much appreciated.
Tom

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 10:59:24 AM »

There is no privacy with online communications, there never was.  Your emails pass through servers, and copies/logs are stored per legally required retention policies. Email passed to your client is done so in the clear, unless you are encrypting all your messages point to point.

As for spam, I've been using Gmail since it launched, and I see maybe one (1) unsolicited spam message in my inbox per month.  The rest are filtered out by their brilliant anti-spam system.  The lack of spam was one of the reasons I stuck with them in the first place, and for many years now, my inbox has remained clean.

It is true that there is no real privacy with email but that is just one component of the problem.  With accounts like gmail and hotmail that long winded contract actually gives them the right to do whatever they want with your emails and that is further endorsed by you once you voluntarily upload your emails to the cloud.  Paid services like netaddress and the numerous other email providers that charge monthly fee's will often have contracts that guarantee a level of protection unless requested by law enforcement with proper court orders.   

I don't know how your gmail account has remained Spam free!  My secondary email accounts are on gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail and all three of them get spammed to death.  At last look my hotmail account had 1300+ emails of which 930 had not been read because they are spam.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 11:56:29 PM »

I don't know how your gmail account has remained Spam free! 

I had a free Yahoo account that was pretty bad but that's the only free account I've ever had.  Most of my ATT/Yahoo accounts are very good; I've had one, well over a year old with never a single piece of spam since I set it up. 

I don't have ANYTHING google, and never will, until they start respecting people's privacy and I don't mean JUST with computer issues!  I trust google about as far as I could throw their corporate headquarters and maybe a bit less than that; but that's for another thread !

I still like having the ONLY copy of my correspondence right here on my pathetic old computer, unreliable as it may be.  And, YES, I am taking several posters' advice and (slowly) copying important correspondence and information to DVDs.  They're not 100% either, but its a start.
Tom
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 03:30:43 AM »

I do not know why the OP would want to take up space in his computer for email msgs. I have Gmail,yahoo, Hotmail and there are messages on these sites that have been in their cloud for close to 10 years. Gmail may be the new one on the block.
I can understand possible extreme personal content of a message and the user wants it in his machine only and deleted from the provider's servers.........Our beloved U.S. Gummint is building one of these::::   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center
There's no escaping Big Brotha. No hiding nothing!!
Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: