Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ and Kit Building  (Read 10846 times)
KG4RUL

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2013, 04:15:24 PM »

I saw this in the latest MFJ catalog:

---------------

MFJ-941EK Antenna Tuner Kit

Ever wish you could just build your own? But then you get a list of the prices together and the time and effort to put one together and realize it is just not worth it. MFJ has now made it fun and economical to build and test your very own MFJ antenna tuner. You get the popular MFJ-941E, all of its guts totally apart so you can build it yourself. The finished kit features 1.8-30 MHz coverage, 300 Watts power handling, 1.5 inch Cross-needle SWR/Wattmeter, 1000 Volt capacitors, Lexan front panel decal, all aluminum chassis and cover. All knobs, hardware, components and switches are here to build your very own MFJ tuner!!! You don`t have to punch a clock, but you don`t get an MFJ paycheck either, just the joy and pride of building your own.

------------------
I guess this means you now will have a choice between a kit of component parts OR a factory built kit that you can troubleshoot and make operational yourself.  Wait a minute, did MFJ secretly buy Heathkit?Huh
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 08:47:25 PM »

This is a good step for MFJ and the ham community
An antenna tuner like the 941E is basic enough to lend itself to being offered as a kit.
In the hands of a competent builder the workmanship will probably be better than the factory built version.
Having taken my shot at MFJ QC, I must admit that I own a number of MFJ products and I have been generally satisfied with them.
Back in 2012 at Dayton, I had a chat with the Ameritron people regarding the possibility of offering the AL-811 and AL-811H as kits.  They liked the idea, but the prospect of liability brought about by the accidental electrocution of a less than careful builder turned them off to this.

WB2EOD
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 02:09:49 AM »

You might get a better product that way too, without the usual MFJ quality complaints.
KJ7YY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 04:59:46 PM »

I also looked at the kit, but it is only $20 less than the built unit.  Maybe that is what they pay the employees to put one together?  Maybe the problem with qc?  That said, I sure wish that more kits were available. Sad
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 05:37:46 PM »

I also looked at the kit, but it is only $20 less than the built unit. Maybe that is what they pay the employees to put one together?

There isn't that much to a 300 watt tuner in terms of construction time or complexity, and then you remember MFJ pays Mississippi wages.......... It still takes time & labor to count, bag and package the parts just as it does to box a completed unit so I'm not surprised the dollar differential between built & unbuilt is modest.

Never change a password on a Friday                
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 07:14:45 AM »

I believe that this was offered to accommodate the HamNation Smoke & Solder segment on building an antenna tuner. MFJ also offered a balun kit for a similar segment a few months ago. I do not think it is a new corporate strategy, just a relationship with George Thomas W5JDX where MFJ is a sponsor of both the S&S and AmateurLogic.tv. My two-cents...

Frank
K4FMH
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 12:12:08 PM »

I have been making a effort to avoid MFJ because of build quality for years. If they offered kits I would be much more inclined to assemble my own with their kits.

There are challenges, parts-pulls for kit building does take time and cost money. Creating assembly instructions and drawings would also be a time/money issue.

They could make it a bit more fun; encourage the builders to come up with mods/enhancements to the products they put together. For each one that is vetted and incorporated into a design give that amateur a $10-$20 discount coupon on the next kit and put their callsign next to the mod on the next set of assembly drawings.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 02:41:11 PM »

I think, Tisha, your argument has a big hole in that you personally are able and competent  to design, build and source components for your own stuff without needing a kit!

OK, that doesn't apply to everyone....
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 05:41:01 PM »

and nobody yet has unearthed the old "MFJ semi-kit" yarn.

must be really good propagation lately
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 03:58:42 PM »

I have always considered MFJ "semi-kits" anyway!
See my recent 'review' of the MFJ-1704 switch....

ron
N4UE
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 05:10:15 AM »

Of course MFJ are semi kits since the purchaser gets to be both quality control inspector plus repair technician with easily replaceable faulty parts. I have ordered 5 MFJ Semi Kits in the past three years, NOW all working FB.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:20:24 AM by W1JKA » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: