Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Packet life in Montreal?  (Read 8594 times)
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2013, 06:50:44 PM »

After a 15 year absence, got a call sign and am setting up to participate in vhf/uhf packet in Montreal. The problem is, I can't find anybody. When I lived in Halifax the air was mad with traffic. I then moved to Ottawa in the 90's and they had a wonderful 19.2k (i think) experimental back bone going on. Lots of Nortel people with too much time on their hands. Not a boring place to be.

That's when work and living accommodation got in the way and I let my call sign lapse. Flash forward 15 years... So here I am in Montreal with renewed interest. Is it me, or are there dead places to live now? I guess I might have to join the world and go hf... Wink

Anyone know the actual freqs they use here for vhf/uhf packet?

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »

I hear there are spots here and there that are active with packet, still.  Couldn't say about Montreal.  I was one of the first six hams to build a TAPR TNC-1 back in the early '80s.  Kansas City really took off, northeast kansas and northwest missouri were a hotbed of activity.  Backbone connections as far as New Mexico.  I went pretty inactive for twenty years, and it's all but gone now.  When the last packet cluster shut down the radio link, that was it.  I still keyboard with a couple of other hams on 144.95, but that's it, except for APRS, of course.  Too bad, really, as it was a lot of fun.  Some say the internet and cell phones killed packet.  Maybe so, but still too bad.  I think there's some activity still on the west coast.  Maybe you can get a few old timers to join you, and re-animate packet in Montreal.  Right now, it's barely a Zombie in Kansas City.

73 de WB0KSL
John
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 01:42:54 PM »

That is pretty much what I experienced here. Even the 2m/70cm voice is silent here. At first I thought I was having a range issue, but I get s9 when they key their id. I hope it's just cause they are all on hf.

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
KK4MHI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 06:36:25 PM »

I hear there are spots here and there that are active with packet, still.  Couldn't say about Montreal.  I was one of the first six hams to build a TAPR TNC-1 back in the early '80s.  Kansas City really took off, northeast kansas and northwest missouri were a hotbed of activity.  Backbone connections as far as New Mexico.  I went pretty inactive for twenty years, and it's all but gone now.  When the last packet cluster shut down the radio link, that was it.  I still keyboard with a couple of other hams on 144.95, but that's it, except for APRS, of course.  Too bad, really, as it was a lot of fun.  Some say the internet and cell phones killed packet.  Maybe so, but still too bad.  I think there's some activity still on the west coast.  Maybe you can get a few old timers to join you, and re-animate packet in Montreal.  Right now, it's barely a Zombie in Kansas City.

73 de WB0KSL
John

I'm in Overland Park at the moment.  Is there still activity on the 144.95 freq?  Is there any more packet in the KC Metro left?
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 01:51:03 AM »

I have noticed some on 145.010 (pierrefonds). I guess I need to make a cable up and see who's there.

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 03:47:45 AM »

When I lived in Halifax the air was mad with traffic.

Flash forward 15 years...

I think you have identified the root cause of your problem!
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 05:09:28 AM »

KK4MHI,

As far as I know, just a couple of guys in the Olathe area on 144.95.  KA0MFZ and KE5BR (both also repeater trustees in Olathe area).  I get on with them from time to time.  BTW, in my earlier post I stated I was among the first six hams to build a TNC-1...  Should have said, "in the Kansas City area...".  Packet can still be fun, but with virtually no digipeaters left it's a novelty, at best, nowadays.  Then there's APRS.  Still trying to figure that one out  Smiley

73 de wb0ksl
John
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 07:02:19 PM »

Packet really didn't live well on hf, which is probably why it really died. I have long term plans for a terminal/modulation replacement anyhow. I will probably play with micro transceivers with that one, then port it over to 10m.

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: