Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fldigi setup question  (Read 14328 times)
K7FSU

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:04:58 AM »

I've been convinced that I could either find the answer or figure it out myself; but I'm pretty much at the end at this point, so here goes...

I've been running Fldigi for a few months with a Mac, an Icom IC-7000, and a Signalink USB.  My setup works great, and I've successfully made contacts worldwide using all manner of modes.  The problem I have is this: When using PSK or RTTY, there's a pretty decent delay between the time I hit transmit and the time that the radio actually starts transmitting data.  There's a series of key-ups (on/offs) until it finally keys for good and actually starts sending the data out.

Usually it doesn't matter if there's any delay in the QSO to me, but it's pretty aggravating during contests when you get a break in the traffic and attempt to answer a CQ only to have to wait on it to finally key fully.  It only does this for the data modes....example - CW is instantaneous with no delay.  I don't have the delay pot on the Signalink dialed up (it's bottomed out).  Write delay on the rig control in Fldigi is only 5 ms (RigCAT).  I've experimented with various settings, but they've made no difference.

I know there has to be a simple solution to some setting(s) I have.  It's frustrating to see snap replies to CQ calls and know that my system "should" be able to do the same but isn't quite there.  Anyone have suggestions?

- Kevin
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 03:03:14 PM »

Sounds like one of two things to me.  Either;

1) Your drive level into the SignaLink USB is insufficient

or

2) You may have the PTT delay set on the SignaLink too high.

To solve #1, make sure you have the output volume of the USB Audio CODEC in OS X set for maximum, then use the level on the SignaLink to control your power.  Reading the SignaLink manual, you'll find the references to setting the audio levels to max coming out of the computer.  This is really essential to making sure the SignaLink gets enough of an audio signal to recognize it and key the PTT.

If this doesn't solve it, then double check Fldigi.  In the lower right corner is an attenuation setting, normally set for -3.0.  If it is set too low, then this will reduce your audio output from the computer to the SignaLink as well.  Turn it to -2.0 or -1.0 (or even 0.0) to see if this solves your problem.

To solve #2, turn down the delay on the front panel of the SignaLink. 

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
AK4YA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 05:59:27 PM »

#3. Turn off rsid
K7FSU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 06:49:27 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but it doesn't appear to be the issue (on any of these fronts).  My audio level (USB codec) was already maxed out, and changing the attenuation level in Fldigi made no difference.  My delay on the front of my Signalink has always been set at the minimum.  I thought about the RSID, but it's off as well.

Don't get me wrong - it transmits, and I've had great contacts worldwide; but I can't understand why it delays.  Actually, it's probably better described as going through a series of keys.  It'll key for about 1.5 sec then off for about .5 sec, then key for 1.5 sec, then off, then key and start transmitting the data.  Strangest thing.  If I put it into MCW and send code, it's instant - no lines, no waiting.  For run of the mill QSOs, it's not a big deal, but for contests or special events it makes it virtually impossible to duke it out with all the stations who can send on a dime.  It's frustrating, but I know it's got to be something simple that I'm overlooking.

- Kevin
AK4YA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 07:33:47 PM »

Does it do this on other modes bersides PSK/RTTY?  try TX in olivia/contestia with the same exact settings and see if you get the same result

See if you get the same behavior in dm780/mixw/digipan or any of the JT65 softwares out there that may be available for MAC.  Sounds like you're at the stage now where you need to start swapping components out until the problem goes with one of the swaps.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:00:34 PM by AK4YA » Logged
K7FSU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 03:06:26 PM »

Well, it would seem it's something within Fldigi.  I spent the day configuring CocoaModem 2.0 (Mac specific prog), and it's rocket fast.  The multiple keying issue doesn't exist at all.  It's heresy to say, I know; but there's a lot of functionality in using CM.  It doesn't seem to be quite as sensitive for decoding multiple transmissions (signal browser) as Fldigi is, but I can live with that.  Dual decode main windows capability beats Fldigi's single.  The NBEMS folks will be waiting outside my door with torches and pitchforks, but I think it's going to be a CM game for now on.  I know looks aren't everything, but the CM appearance is also much more... Mac.  I know Fldigi is cross-platform and therefore goes substance over style; but if I'm going to use it, it might as well be aesthetic.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions from all.  It's nice to know it was a software issue that won't end up costing $$ to replace pieces/parts.  One day I may try Fldigi again just from a curiosity angle to see if I can beat the machine.  In the meantime, it appears I've found a winner.  Grin

Kevin
K7FSU
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 05:09:30 AM »

If you are using something higher than Win XP, that could also be the problem.
KD8QDL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 02:38:17 PM »

Is the baud rate set properly on both units.  You might try a lower rate (9600 rather than 19200)) on both your IC-7000 (which I also operate) and FLDIGI to correct this issue.  Hope this helps. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: