Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: time premitted to get father's call???  (Read 7769 times)
KC8Y

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2013, 09:31:30 AM »

I am extra class ham that's trying to help my friend get to retain his father's (deceased about 1-yr ago) call.

What is the time permitted by the FCC,  that he can obtain his father's call Huh

My friend still has his father's rig (Yaesu FT-101E xcvr) and plans on obtaining his General ticket (since there's no code test, anymore) on the first time

Ken-KC8Y

WE4AU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 01:07:24 PM »

Several variables come into play in this process.

The person desiring his deceased father's call should research:
1) The FCC ULS section on vanity calls, and
2)  AE7Q's website on vanity calls

These two sites should give him all the info he needs.

Regards,
-Bruce
WE4AU
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 02:24:59 PM »

If your friend's father had an Extra Class callsign, then your friend can not get that callsign unless he is also an Extra.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »

Thanks for all the info.  I-myself have not been up-to-date with all the latest & new regulations.

Ken KC8Y
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 03:06:03 PM »

I believe if he has proper paperwork showing his father is deceased, and he holds at least the same licence class as his father, then there should be no wait time. I THINK that being that closely related bypasses the 2 year wait period, but you'll have to make sure.
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 06:52:43 PM »

I am extra class ham that's trying to help my friend get to retain his father's (deceased about 1-yr ago) call.

What is the time permitted by the FCC,  that he can obtain his father's call Huh

My friend still has his father's rig (Yaesu FT-101E xcvr) and plans on obtaining his General ticket (since there's no code test, anymore) on the first time

Ken-KC8Y

If the call was an extra class call, ie a 1X2 or a 2X1, then he needs to be an extra class to get it. But if it was a 1X3 or a 2X3, he can get it, even if he is just a tech.

The SK call will be up for grabs to anyone, but it will have to take 2 yrs and a day before its available. But in this case, if its family, you can get it right away. There is a little paperwork that needs to be done.

I have my late grandfathers call right now. He went SK back in 92, and it was just always available, so I applied just under the vanity program.

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: