The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big brown truck just left! 1st HF station  (Read 1320 times)
N7TGC

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2017, 01:56:02 PM »

Feels like Christmas around here!

Tom - N7TGC

trying to post a pic
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:00:29 PM by N7TGC » Logged
K1HMS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 12:47:33 AM »

I was thinking today was the BIG day.   Smiley

Save the boxes should you want to sell something to up grade or need to ship for a repair.

Other than a "look see" for damages I would set the amp in place but leave it disconnected until you get everything sorted and on the air with a 100 watts for a bit. With the large number of unfamiliar knobs plus a unknown antenna the chances for mischief are high and the amp is the least forgiving. Also you'll want to fix any sounding smoke alarms, flashing touch lamps, etc before moving up to 600w.

Nets on 20m and 40m are a good place to start. They call out "Everyone welcome, you dont have to be a member, please check in".  Find and download "NetLogger" its free, it lists the active nets, and after check in you can see when it is your turn and pick someone from the list to work.

Once you are up you can post a sked right here, you might get a pile up.

Regards,

Hamilton K1HMS
N3ANO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 05:03:34 PM »

Tell us what you got. Congratulations.
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 09:57:45 PM »

Welcome to Amateur Radio, Tommy!

Hmmm.  Let me guess...

Icom IC-7300
Ameritron AL-811H 800w amplifier
MFJ-962D Versa Tuner III Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner
MFJ-4230MV Power Supply
Vibroplex Iambic Deluxe morse key w/ EZ-1 cable
Sennheiser HD280PRO Headphones
MyAntennas.com EFHW-8010

(per your QRZ site)

Regarding the AL-811H and the EFHW-8010...  You may wish to upgrade the matching network to the  MEF-330-2K if you  plan to run 600W CW, especially in a contest.  Its a straight drop-in.  The EFHW-8010-1K (ICAS) cannot handle too much average power before the dual toroidal cores heat up and SWR begins to rise - fast - as they approach their Curie temperature.  Found that out with some RTTY contacts.  The MEF-330-2K does much better - Danny is always improving his products.

The AL-811H pushes its tubes pretty hard and cannot source too much average power, either without problems. It might be best to back off the amp significantly if in a heavy contest. Luckily, the IC-7300 exciter has a very useful output power control.

But even at 100 watts (IC-7300 only), you should have a lot of fun.  Start there than later try out the amp.

Best Regards,

Brian - K6BRN
KD0ZGW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 06:24:30 AM »

WARNING!  Rookie operators often toast their new amp when band hopping by forgetting to retune.  You can toast an AL811H pretty easily.  Don't ask me how I know.

KD0ZGW
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 11:07:21 AM »

Tom,

Band hopping not necessary. I hang on 17 and 20. I figure folks way down there or way up there will eventually migrate
to here and I'll catch them.

Like I said Tom, let's meet tonight.

Kraus
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 02:16:28 PM »

How many rookie ops with their first rig key up the mic before they attach the antenna?

Not a mistake I have ever made (mine was in turning on a UHF television transmitter while the waveguide was not bolted in place, it looked like a death ray for a few seconds until the main breaker for the transmitter building tripped out).

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: