The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many radios does it take for a person to have too many?  (Read 75658 times)
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2017, 10:31:14 AM »

Nie Gonset.  And I LOVE the Kenwood twins.  If you ever get bored and don't want those or the Drake twins, call me.   Grin
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2017, 10:37:26 AM »

Smiley
I sold a whole wall of boat anchors, and bought an Icom 718 (entry level rig) in 2011.  I'm very happy with the transaction.
 Wink
The rig is 7 years old now, so that is $100 per yearWho says that ham radio is expensive? Not me!
 Cool
W3TTT
KE0ZU

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2017, 04:53:43 PM »

Eric, I think you're on to something. Grin
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2017, 12:53:34 PM »

Silly question.  It is totally dependent on a specific person and their desires or issues.

How many radios is too many?

+ for a tin foil hat paranoid who lives in fear off the grid, 1 is too many.

+ for a very poor ham, struggling to pay rent, 2 is too many.

+ for a collector/museum with fixed square footage running short, maybe 101 radios is 1 too many?

Is there a point to the question?
To me, it sounded about as sensible as asking; What part of the planet has too much sky?
W4SEX

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2017, 02:23:36 PM »

Hard not to think when you see a shack with 8 of the same model radios, and then think of a ham that cannot afford even 1 HF rig, then something is wrong with society. Sad

Hmmmm, distribution of wealth? EBT radios? "You can keep your:  WHATEVER"?
It's called self improvement.......
Let's not get the W6 'snowflakes' panties all wadded up.

ron
N4UE

Explain self improvement for a physically disabled ham on a fixed income, deep in debt from medical expenses. That person will never afford a HF rig. When the person with multiple rigs dies, will his radios go to someone who cannot afford them?  NO
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2017, 03:38:32 PM »

I've been retired for 16 years. After the military, I put myself through college. I am healthy, work 7 days/week, 365 days/year, just 4 hrs/day. My dad was sickly (hypochondriac), his whole life and the only thing I inherited, was the bill for his funeral.
I don't understand the 'medical bill' issue. I know LOTS of folks with NO money and that never stops them from getting quality medical care, as good as mine, or better. I'm a retired EE (IBM) with excellent medical benefits. These folk get everything I paid into, and then some. I feel for them, but if they chose to live at that level, it's their choice.
Where there's a will, there's a way.
I have a huge radio/test equipment collection. When I pass, my son will probably just hire someone to haul it all to the land fill. He'll also get my house, classic cars, motorcycles, and firearms.

ron
N4UE
W4SEX

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2017, 05:54:24 AM »

I have a huge radio/test equipment collection. When I pass, my son will probably just hire someone to haul it all to the land fill. He'll also get my house, classic cars, motorcycles, and firearms.
ron
N4UE
You just answered my question above. Congratulations on amassing such great wealth for yourself.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 05:59:56 AM by W4SEX » Logged
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »

Nie Gonset.  And I LOVE the Kenwood twins.  If you ever get bored and don't want those or the Drake twins, call me.   Grin
Me too.. had 3 sets of those Kenwood Twins.
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2017, 08:39:59 PM »

Radios are like wives; have as many or as few as you prefer.  I prefer few, but that's just me.

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2017, 01:51:36 AM »

Smiley
I sold a whole wall of boat anchors, and bought an Icom 718 (entry level rig) in 2011.  I'm very happy with the transaction.
 Wink
The rig is 7 years old now, so that is $100 per year.  Who says that ham radio is expensive? Not me!
 Cool
W3TTT
    And if and when you sell that 718, you should get a nice percentage of your purchase price back!!  Roll Eyes
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2017, 08:23:33 AM »

Radios are like wives; have as many or as few as you prefer.  I prefer few, but that's just me.

Ummm, I don't think so.

From what I can tell, radios are nothing like wives.
1 - They're far less expensive (even a high end rig),
2 - They do what you tell them to do (most of the time),
3 - Having more than one radio isn't illegal in most states,
4 - A radio won't get jealous if it finds out you were tweaking the knobs on another radio,
5 - You can disassemble and fix a radio. Doing that to your wife is likely to get you into expensive legal trouble,
6 - A radio won't help you search for tubes for another radio at a hamfest,
7 - Replacing an old broken down radio with a newer, thinner, lighter model doesn't require an attorney, alimony, or court costs,
8 - The value of a room full of the very best, top of the line radios doesn't even begin to approach the value of a good wife.

Truthfully, my wife is more awesome than any radio I have, or have ever had.
She has to be to put up with me for all these years, and still stick around.
And I wouldn't trade her for all the radios at Hamvention.

73 de N8AUC
Eric

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 08:42:03 AM by N8AUC » Logged
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2017, 05:22:11 PM »

Two works for me. Maybe three, if I ever decide to try out 220MHz.
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »

Any more than 10 radios may be too many. I know hams that have well over 300 radios.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2017, 06:10:00 AM »

Here is the answer.

Where does God live?

Why don't women make up their mind?

Kraus
KD8UEI

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2017, 08:11:56 AM »

Paraphrasing the old saying, you can't be too rich, too thin, or have too many radios.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: