Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disneyland Resort not ham friendly...  (Read 25372 times)
K6CPO

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »

This morning I was turned away at the entrance to the Disneyland Resort and told I could not bring my dual-band HT into the parks. I had to trek all the way back to my car and leave it there. I was initially told it was because I could listen in on their park radios, but when my wife and I went to Guest Services to complain, we were shown a page right off their website saying the radio fell into the following, and this is a direct quote off their website: "Items that may be disruptive (e.g. laser pointers, slingshots, stink bombs, air horns)" When I asked them how it could be disruptive, I was told that it could be used to interfere with their in-park communications. I tried to explain that the radio wouldn't even transmit on their frequencies, they still said my radio was prohibited.

Now, I realize Disneyland and California Adventure are private property and it's their prerogative to prohibit whatever items they wish, but they're prohibiting ham radios for all the wrong reasons. Even if they were using analog business radios in the Land Mobile Service, there is no way my little Yaesu FT-60 could interfere with them. However, my research shows, according to Radio Reference, they use a Nextel PTT cell phone system with a 900mHz trunking system as a back-up. Their communications are way separated from the amateur bands.

To add to the annoyance, they are perfectly OK with FRS radios. AND... There is an active two meter repeater at 146.940 located WITHIN the confines of the Disneyland park. Kinda hypocritical, in my opinion...

Thanks to my Disney addicted wife, I was on the verge of Disney burnout and we had already agreed that we weren't renewing my annual pass next year, but this is the final straw. It will be a long, long time before I go back there.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 06:10:53 AM »

Why would you care about bringing an FT-60 to Disneyland anyway? Or did you have plans for a SOTA activation from Magic Mountain? Wink
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 06:21:45 AM »

Back when I was a kid (the late Triassic Period), you couldn't get into Disneyland if you had long hair.  "No hippies."

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 06:26:55 AM »

When I asked them how it could be disruptive, I was told that it could be used to interfere with their in-park communications. I tried to explain that the radio wouldn't even transmit on their frequencies,

Maybe they're using illegal amateur HTs so that's why you might me able to interfere with them ...  Shocked

K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 07:48:32 AM »

Just a couple random thoughts ...

1. How did they see the HT? Were they patting folks down pre-entrance? Last time I went,
my VX-6R was in my pocket until I was inside the park ... and when inside, I used an
earpiece so as not to disturb anyone ...

2. It IS a "private party," and you are subject to their rules and regs - no matter
how bizarre they might be. So all your "arguments" are moot.

You sure have vented on a lot of messageboards ... Wish you had spent that energy
enjoying the park, after performing just a little bit of research beforehand, where
you would have discovered that taking a ham radio onto the premises has been
problematic for many before you.

There are no "constitutional rights" nor "freedom of speech" valid arguments
involved. You somehow drew attention to yourself, and were introduced to their
rules first-hand.

Clint Bradford K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 08:48:07 AM »

I think you should complain to corporate and explain to them that you won't be renewing you annual pass due to this and then explain that there is already a ham repeater in the park.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 09:04:52 AM »

Yes, I know it's their park and they make the rules, and I probably wouldn't have made such an issue about it, but their reasoning is full of holes.  Plus, they've lumped the radios into the category of "disruptive devices"  which makes it impossible to find any information about the prohibition before hand.

As to how they found the radio, it was on my belt in plain sight when I went through the bag check.  I never though anything as innocuous as an HT would be prohibited.  I've never had any issues with it anywhere else I've taken it.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 09:33:04 AM »

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that many ham HT's have been "opened up," meaning they can be used on frequencies outside the ham band(s).  It is quite possible that they have had a problem in the past.

"Opening" an FRS radio and most other HT's is a big more problematic.

As for complaining to corporate headquarters, good luck with that!  Corporate headquarters is the one who made the rules. 

One final thing.  EVERY corporate headquarters has an extremely qualified secretary who specializes in complaints such as these.  She has a 50gal. cross-cut shredder beside her desk driven by a 25HP 440V motor!
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 09:41:51 AM »

Why do they even have a ham radio repeater in the park if hams can't use it, or can they ? So Disneyland gets to have it's name on a repeater list?  Is the Disneyland Resort different than Disneyland Park? Or is it one and the same? 

Still using Windows XP Pro.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 10:11:10 AM »

>> ... but their reasoning is full of holes ...

So go somewhere else. It is THEIR rules. You either comply, or go to Magic Mountain.

>> ... but there's a repeater on site ...

Most ridiculous thread in months ... Whining about being "caught" with his ham HT,
and he needs someone to blame. Might be a case of "social engineering" - since I and
many others can walk into the park and use ham HTs, but the original poster couldn't
even get in the front gates.

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »

Thanks to my Disney addicted wife, I was on the verge of Disney burnout and we had already agreed that we weren't renewing my annual pass next year, but this is the final straw. It will be a long, long time before I go back there.
I'm glad you have a good excuse now.  Roll Eyes

Seriously, though, after spending God-knows-what per hour on being in "the Magic Kingdom," my few remaining wishes would NOT include a QSO.  If disaster struck while I'm there, a good lawsuit should take care of it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:57:47 AM by N3HFS » Logged
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 11:14:11 AM »

Herr 6-CPO, zis iss an alternative world, und ve musst keep Orrder mit ze Rulessss.

'tis said Uncle Walt always ruled and protected his virtual property with an iron hand.

just how it is.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 12:49:59 PM »

'tis said Uncle Walt always ruled and protected his virtual property with an iron hand

Oh, he's still keeping an eye on all the day-to-day operational issues.  They've got his head, alive, in a glass jar, underneath the "it's a small world" ride, and he watches the security monitors most of the day.  And after the park closes, he uses a remote video link to preside over the Knights Templar's grand council meetings in Geneva. 

--ken (can you tell I'm still bitter about that "no long hair" business?)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 01:16:56 PM »

I wouldn't go to Disneyland anyway. This is just another reason why they can go screw themselves. But they don't care about me, and I don't care about them. So we're even. If they went belly up financially, I still wouldn't give a damn.....
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 03:04:36 PM »

Most ridiculous thread in months ... Whining about being "caught" with his ham HT,
and he needs someone to blame.

Ridiculous.

It's a very good thing that he challenge the rule. Just because the rule exists doesn't mean it's logical or rational. So what if they can make the rules? If it's a dumb rule it's best to challenge it. If it's based on misunderstanding or bias then he should be commended for challenging the rule.

Good for him!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: