Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disneyland Resort not ham friendly...  (Read 26305 times)
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 05:02:18 AM »

Boy, some of you are just totally incapable of holding a rational discussion on any topic.  I'm getting the same sarcastic remarks from the hams over on another well known site.  If you guys can't display some solidarity with someone trying to stand up for the hobby, then you deserve to get turned away when you try to go somewhere with your radios.

No one is being sarcastic. Disney has rules, like every other place of business has rules.

You see the signs "NO SHOES, NO SHIRT, NO SERVICE" If you are lacking one of the 3 you are not eating there. Why would Disney be any different?

One issue I could never understand about some amateurs. Why do you need to live and breath ham radio? If you are at Disney World you must be there because you have taken your family. Could you not put the HT down for 4-5 hours and leave ham radio at home while spending time with your family?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 05:05:45 AM by VE3FMC » Logged
NJ1K

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2013, 05:07:42 AM »

It's interesting how some here feel the need to tell others how to live their lives.  If the OP feels that Disney's rules need to be challenged, so be it.  Go live your own life according to your own rules and leave the OP alone. 

If you can't write a constructive on topic post, go away dimwit....
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2013, 05:10:09 AM »

No one is being sarcastic. Disney has rules, like every other place of business has rules.

You see the signs "NO SHOES, NO SHIRT, NO SERVICE" If you are lacking one of the 3 you are not eating there. Why would Disney be any different?

Yea, and I remember once PRIVATE businesses could deny service to people of color. So, should those rules have been challenged? If it was up to you, you would have told people of color to stop complaining about what rules private businesses had and shut up. I'm glad many people don't listen to such advice.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2013, 07:27:37 AM »

Wow ... I didn't realize that the issue of whether or not one could flaunt amateur radio gear
at Disneyland was as important as segregation in this country ... someone's LIVING in Fantasyland ...

It is obvious WHY Disneyland has rules against amateur equipment - someone else posted it here
earlier: Disneyland would prefer that no one mess with their inside-park communications. And that
is entirely their right.

Some just need to pick battles just for the sake of picking battles. This one doesn't deserve all the
time we've wasted in this forum.

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 07:33:52 AM »

Yea, and I remember once PRIVATE businesses could deny service to people of color. So, should those rules have been challenged? If it was up to you, you would have told people of color to stop complaining about what rules private businesses had and shut up. I'm glad many people don't listen to such advice.

You are talking about a racial issue. I am not, totally different topics. Don't try to put words into others statements.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 09:16:18 AM »

You are talking about a racial issue. I am not, totally different topics. Don't try to put words into others statements.

The --> principle <-- is EXACTLY the same. Don't put up with stupid rules just because it's a private business.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 09:28:34 AM »

>> ... Don't put up with stupid rules just because it's a private business.

Right. And how do we do that for mega-corporations? We refuse to purchase from them. Boycott 'em.

Or, in this case, just tuck your tail 'tween your legs, sheepishly walk back to the car to deposit your
HT, and go back in line to enter the park.

But to cry bloody murder on several messageboards, believing you've been "wronged?" Just not my
style.

If the original poster was truly concerned about the issue, he would have walked away and not entered
the park - then wage his campaign. Instead, he was forced to enjoy a wonderful day a the Magic Kingdom
with his wife.

What a thread ...

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 10:52:10 AM »

The --> principle <-- is EXACTLY the same. Don't put up with stupid rules just because it's a private business.

How do we know the rule is stupid?  They may have good reasons for the rule, and just because someone does not like it does not make it stupid.  Or it could be a stupid rule, but as a private entity it's their right to make rules for their property.  I'm not sticking up for Disney Corporation, who brought us Miley Cyrus. Embarrassed  But I do find many of the responses on this thread "interesting"  I'm surprised someone cannot go without a radio for a few hours at a theme park.  What a thread indeed...

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »

Don't like it - don't go. Same with cruise ships, although personally, I can think of little that I would go out of my way to avoid more than either Disney world or a cruise ship.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »

How do we know the rule is stupid? 

We ask.

Boy, I see I have much work to do here ...
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 12:21:44 PM »

How do we know the rule is stupid? 

We ask.

Boy, I see I have much work to do here ...

Work to do on yourself. Companies, businesses, bars, etc all have rules in place. If you do not like those rules do not go to work for the company, do not support the business etc.

Speed limits are in place. So you think it is ok to go 100 MPH in a 50 MPH zone because you think it is a stupid rule?

Amateur radio has rules. So you think it is ok for you to go to 30 meters and run 2000 watts because you think it is a stupid rule that you can't run 2000 watts on that band?

I worked for a national multi billion dollar corporation that had work place rules in place. Either we followed the guidelines for our work place or we were disciplined.

So tell me what is the difference between Disney World visitor guidelines and work place guidelines?
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 12:27:26 PM »

I'm guessing that the last thing the repeater users want is hams challenging Disney over the alleged hypocrisy of disallowing HTs while allowing a repeater, because one of the ways Disney could resolve said alleged hypocrisy is to disallow the repeater.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 12:44:07 PM »

>> ... Don't put up with stupid rules just because it's a private business.

Right. And how do we do that for mega-corporations? We refuse to purchase from them. Boycott 'em.

Or, in this case, just tuck your tail 'tween your legs, sheepishly walk back to the car to deposit your
HT, and go back in line to enter the park.

But to cry bloody murder on several messageboards, believing you've been "wronged?" Just not my
style.

If the original poster was truly concerned about the issue, he would have walked away and not entered
the park - then wage his campaign. Instead, he was forced to enjoy a wonderful day a the Magic Kingdom
with his wife.

What a thread ...

No, it was not a wonderful day.  We spent less than an hour in the park, didn't ride any attractions and then went and had an overpriced lunch of average food at a Mexican restaurant in Downtown Disney before driving the 90 miles back home.

I'm guessing that the last thing the repeater users want is hams challenging Disney over the alleged hypocrisy of disallowing HTs while allowing a repeater, because one of the ways Disney could resolve said alleged hypocrisy is to disallow the repeater.

An update on a comment I made in my original post:  I contacted the trustee of the repeater I believed to be within the Disneyland park and he says it isn't in the park.  Apparently the location information has not been updated yet.  Other hams I have talked to have indicated there was one in the park at one time, but no longer.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 01:47:10 PM »

Work to do on yourself. Companies, businesses, bars, etc all have rules in place. If you do not like those rules do not go to work for the company, do not support the business etc.

Ridiculous.

I can ask any business I want to why a rule is in place. Sure, they can blow me off and not answer, but it's a free country and I can ask about anything I wish to. What do you not understand about this? Much it seems ...

Speed limits are in place. So you think it is ok to go 100 MPH in a 50 MPH zone because you think it is a stupid rule?

No, but I can ask why the rule is in place. The more you try to answer the more you demonstrate you simply do not understand the point.

Amateur radio has rules. So you think it is ok for you to go to 30 meters and run 2000 watts because you think it is a stupid rule that you can't run 2000 watts on that band?

No, but I can ask the FCC why the rule is in place ... oh why am I bothering ...

I worked for a national multi billion dollar corporation that had work place rules in place. Either we followed the guidelines for our work place or we were disciplined.

You can always ask about rules. This is still eludiing you.

So tell me what is the difference between Disney World visitor guidelines and work place guidelines?

Nothing, but you can try to ask why the specific rules are in place.
AF6WL

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2013, 03:06:37 PM »

At first, I was thinking the OP was justified in being upset over rules applied in ignorance - possible interference etc. ( which episode of the Simpsons was it were all the mechatronics in the park went on the rampage  Wink )

However, on security grounds I can see it making sense:
It is such a symbolic location and families expect to be safe there.

If any disruptive group were to organise anything untowards, unmonitored comms would be valuable to them.
FRS provides a finite number of in the clear channels than can be monitored, and cellphones could be logged and location triangulated or quickly shut down.
So FRS and cellphones ok - more professional looking radios not ok - accept it and try to have a better day next time.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: