Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disneyland Resort not ham friendly...  (Read 27451 times)
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2013, 11:27:30 AM »

I think he deperately desires to be permanently banned from all Disney properties because his wife won't otherwise let him stay home while she feeds her "Disney addiction."
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2013, 12:48:16 PM »

I think he deperately desires to be permanently banned from all Disney properties because his wife won't otherwise let him stay home while she feeds her "Disney addiction."

I can do that just fine on my own, thank you.
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2013, 03:19:30 PM »

Listed in no ranking other than in the order they appeared in this thread:

It IS a "private party," and you are subject to their rules and regs - no matter
how bizarre they might be. So all your "arguments" are moot.

ve musst keep Orrder mit ze Rulessss.

you've got to play by their rules.

Disney has rules

Disneyland has rules against amateur equipment

So, I ask all of you above: what are those rules you refer to, and where are they posted?

I spent about five long minutes trying to find "the rules" on their website but failed, so I have to revert to the OP's statement quoting off their website: "Items that may be disruptive (e.g. laser pointers, slingshots, stink bombs, air horns) [are prohibited]"

I asked the agent (er, "cast member") for permission to bring my "amateur radio handheld radio" with me on Thursday, "to communicate with
others at the park, and use the Mickey Mouse repeater."

Guess what my answer was?

C'mon, GUESS?

Totally approved, no problem whatsoever.

Maybe this is because there are no rules that explicitly prohibit it?

If you had asked whether you could wear your boots into the park, you quite likely would have gotten the same answer. Yet if I wanted to, I could construe scenarios where someone could disrupt the operations or even the safety of the park with their boots.

To me it looks like there were some security zealots who took the liberty to interpret a pretty clear rule through their own paranoia filter or were simply abusing their authority. That, I agree, should be challenged in a civilized manner.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2013, 03:28:20 PM »

To me it looks like there were some security zealots who took the liberty to interpret a pretty clear rule through their own paranoia filter or were simply abusing their authority. That, I agree, should be challenged in a civilized manner.

When I got the same answer from different employees at an entirely different location in the park, it kinda ruled out the "security zealot" scenario.  That's why I feel it's an established policy. 

Why the other guy was told he could bring in his radio, I have no idea.  I'm waiting for two things:  His experience when he actually takes the radio to the park (and I suspect if he gets turned away, we won't hear about it here) and a reply to an e-mail I sent to Disney Guest Services this morning requesting outlining my experience and requesting clarification in light of the other person's phone call.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »

Why is anyone asking the OP anything about what is the truth at Disneyland?

He has a problem with his relationship: His wife is "addicted" to Disneyland, he hates
it, he wants to terminate their passes ...

Yet another ham calls Guest Relations and talks to a supervisor - who offers him his
personal direct line telephone number - and says hams are welcome at the park.

The OP is not to be trusted for anything relating to reality.

Clint Bradford K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2013, 06:08:09 PM »

>> ... To me it looks like there were some security zealots who took the liberty to interpret a pretty clear rule through their own paranoia filter or were simply abusing their authority. That, I agree, should be challenged in a civilized manner.

Then you do not read very well ... at least not this thread.

Some guy in line has an attitude - admittedly. He argues with Cast Members. He elevates the whole scene to the point of them telling him to take his radio back to the car. Then he goes to the Internet - in several forums - declaring that Disney is anti-ham.

Disney is not anti-ham. Nationally, Disney has demonstrated their support of amateur radio.
and locally in Anaheim, a Guest Services supervisor advises there is no problem with hams bringing HTs onto the property.

It is all in one's personal behavior. Hey, I could have an attitude and get myself kicked out of the park, too - for behaving like an idiot. I just don't choose to be such a patron.

Clint Bradford K6LCS
909-241-7666 - cell

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2013, 06:14:02 PM »

Why is anyone asking the OP anything about what is the truth at Disneyland?

He has a problem with his relationship: His wife is "addicted" to Disneyland, he hates
it, he wants to terminate their passes ...

Yet another ham calls Guest Relations and talks to a supervisor - who offers him his
personal direct line telephone number - and says hams are welcome at the park.

The OP is not to be trusted for anything relating to reality.

Clint Bradford K6LCS

Here you go again.  You don't even have your facts correct.  First, I NEVER, EVER said I wanted to terminate our passes.  I said I was letting my pass expire.  In return for letting her to to Disneyland whenever she wants (without me) I agreed not to pester her about getting a ham license, which she wants absolutely nothing to do with.

Second, what happened was I was asked to wait at the bag check until the lead came over. When he arrived I told him what kind of radio it and at that point was told I couldn't bring in the radio.  When I showed him my license was when I got "So?" out of him.  It was at that point I got angry and left.

You know, I'm done arguing with you.  I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2013, 08:22:52 PM »

>> ... To me it looks like there were some security zealots who took the liberty to interpret a pretty clear rule through their own paranoia filter or were simply abusing their authority. That, I agree, should be challenged in a civilized manner.

Then you do not read very well ... at least not this thread.

Some guy in line has an attitude - admittedly. He argues with Cast Members. He elevates the whole scene to the point of them telling him to take his radio back to the car. Then he goes to the Internet - in several forums - declaring that Disney is anti-ham.

Disney is not anti-ham. Nationally, Disney has demonstrated their support of amateur radio.
and locally in Anaheim, a Guest Services supervisor advises there is no problem with hams bringing HTs onto the property.

It is all in one's personal behavior. Hey, I could have an attitude and get myself kicked out of the park, too - for behaving like an idiot. I just don't choose to be such a patron.

Clint Bradford K6LCS
909-241-7666 - cell

Sorry, my fault. I only have my information from the OP's narrative in this thread and from the opinions of all the others. I was not aware you were there and witnessed it all. I bow to your omnipotence!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:31:33 PM by K7RNO » Logged

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2013, 08:47:14 PM »

I found these Prohibited Items in 10 seconds using Bing!!

Prohibited Items

The following are not allowed to be brought into the Disney Theme Parks:

Items with wheels, such as wagons, skateboards, scooters, inline skates, shoes with built-in wheels, two-wheeled or three-wheeled conveyances, strollers larger than 36" x 52", suitcases, coolers, or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations), and any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller
Alcoholic beverages
Weapons of any kind
Folding chairs
Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)
Pets (unless they are service animals)
In Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park (for the safety of the wildlife), balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted. Note: they now have biodegradable paper straws.

Nowhere do I see HTs!  I'm afraid I'd have to have a copy of chapter and verse from Disney World before I'd roll over on this.

Now you have MY bowels all hot and runny!
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2013, 08:52:12 PM »

Prohibited Items

The following are not allowed to be brought into the Disney Theme Parks:

Items with wheels, such as wagons, skateboards, scooters, inline skates, shoes with built-in wheels, two-wheeled or three-wheeled conveyances, strollers larger than 36" x 52", suitcases, coolers, or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations), and any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller
Alcoholic beverages
Weapons of any kind
Folding chairs
Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)
Pets (unless they are service animals)
In Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park (for the safety of the wildlife), balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted. Note: they now have biodegradable paper straws.

Wow...I don't see food or beverages (except alcohol) listed there, either.  I didn't realize they allowed that into their parks.  One could save a lot of time and money by bringing one's own lunches and dinners!
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2013, 09:39:09 PM »

I still could not find any rules posted by an official Disney site, but I found the following.
NB: it dates back to 2007, so I am not sure if the bottom line still applies, but it does make for an interesting read:

"Radio check

MousePlanet staff member Kevin Krock and his young son were surprised to be stopped at the bag check outside Disneyland last weekend after the cast member searching their bags saw that Kevin, a licensed amateur radio operator, was carrying a ham radio in his bag. The cast member said she was unsure if Disney allows guests to bring 2-way radios into the park, and so called her lead (manager) for clarification. The lead was also uncertain about the policy, and so called a Disneyland security officer, who called a security manager, who in turn called the Anaheim police officer stationed in Downtown Disney. Kevin, a communications volunteer for his local police department, said that he was delayed about 30 minutes while a growing group of people debated whether ham radios were allowed inside Disneyland. Kevin said that he was repeatedly questioned about whether his radio could listen in on Disney's frequencies, and was asked who he would be using the radio to talk to. He was also told by one cast member that "since September 11th," Disney policy has been that ham radios are not allowed into the park; but after producing his law enforcement volunteer identification and explaining the nature of his equipment to the Anaheim police officer, Kevin was eventually allowed to enter the park with his radio.

This scene may come as a surprise to the ham radio operators who regularly use handheld radios to communicate with others inside the Disneyland Resort, not to mention the members of the Disney Emergency Amateur Radio Service (DEARS), who maintain a repeater station on top of the Disneyland Hotel. DEARS hosted a field day inside Disneyland on the date of the park's 50th anniversary, and members of the Orange County Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Services (RACES) group helped provide communications support for the 2006 Disneyland Half Marathon.

After this incident, MousePlanet asked the Disneyland Resort for clarification about the policy, and learned that the Disneyland Resort did not actually have a formal policy about the use of amateur radios inside the resort before this incident. Guidelines are now being communicated to main entrance cast members, and Disney will allow guests to use amateur radio handsets for personal communication inside the theme parks—but hams should expect an extra measure of scrutiny from Disney security if they see you using your radio. MousePlanet now recommends that licensed amateur radio operators carry a copy of their FCC license if they plan to bring radio equipment into a Disney theme park, along with a little extra patience. If you are stopped at the bag check tables, or if Disney security approaches you inside the park, consider it a teaching opportunity. "

source: http://www.mouseplanet.com/6680/Disneyland_Park_Update

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2013, 10:31:59 PM »

I still could not find any rules posted by an official Disney site, but I found the following.
NB: it dates back to 2007, so I am not sure if the bottom line still applies, but it does make for an interesting read:

"Radio check

MousePlanet staff member Kevin Krock and his young son were surprised to be stopped at the bag check outside Disneyland last weekend after the cast member searching their bags saw that Kevin, a licensed amateur radio operator, was carrying a ham radio in his bag. The cast member said she was unsure if Disney allows guests to bring 2-way radios into the park, and so called her lead (manager) for clarification. The lead was also uncertain about the policy, and so called a Disneyland security officer, who called a security manager, who in turn called the Anaheim police officer stationed in Downtown Disney. Kevin, a communications volunteer for his local police department, said that he was delayed about 30 minutes while a growing group of people debated whether ham radios were allowed inside Disneyland. Kevin said that he was repeatedly questioned about whether his radio could listen in on Disney's frequencies, and was asked who he would be using the radio to talk to. He was also told by one cast member that "since September 11th," Disney policy has been that ham radios are not allowed into the park; but after producing his law enforcement volunteer identification and explaining the nature of his equipment to the Anaheim police officer, Kevin was eventually allowed to enter the park with his radio.

This scene may come as a surprise to the ham radio operators who regularly use handheld radios to communicate with others inside the Disneyland Resort, not to mention the members of the Disney Emergency Amateur Radio Service (DEARS), who maintain a repeater station on top of the Disneyland Hotel. DEARS hosted a field day inside Disneyland on the date of the park's 50th anniversary, and members of the Orange County Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Services (RACES) group helped provide communications support for the 2006 Disneyland Half Marathon.

After this incident, MousePlanet asked the Disneyland Resort for clarification about the policy, and learned that the Disneyland Resort did not actually have a formal policy about the use of amateur radios inside the resort before this incident. Guidelines are now being communicated to main entrance cast members, and Disney will allow guests to use amateur radio handsets for personal communication inside the theme parks—but hams should expect an extra measure of scrutiny from Disney security if they see you using your radio. MousePlanet now recommends that licensed amateur radio operators carry a copy of their FCC license if they plan to bring radio equipment into a Disney theme park, along with a little extra patience. If you are stopped at the bag check tables, or if Disney security approaches you inside the park, consider it a teaching opportunity. "

source: http://www.mouseplanet.com/6680/Disneyland_Park_Update

The first person to respond to my post on Mouse Pad was the wife of the individual listed above.  She was also surprised to find the policy was different now. 

This brings up the issue of the license.  It didn't carry any weight with the lead or manager I spoke to.  In fact, he was a bit disdainful of the license.  My advice to any ham that wants to take their HT into the park:   Sneak it in and plead ignorance if caught...
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2013, 06:52:28 AM »

>> ... the official Disney policy is ...

You guys don't get it.

1. Disney has a demonstrable history of supporting amateur radio - here and back East. Look it up for yourselves.

2. Amateur radios are allowed on site. SOURCE: Personal experience, and a simple call to Guest Services at Anaheim park yesterday.

3. But Disney has the right to tell anyone what they may or not bring
on site. It't their party.

SO ... You cause a problem while waiting in line, you might forfeit your
privilege. Don't like it? Leave.

There is no policy to change. Ham radio operators have been taking their HTs
in the park for years. And if one behaves responsibly and operates without
interrupting others, all will be well.

But it is irresponsible to blame Disney for one's bad manners and arrogance.

Clint Bradford K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »

Disneyland has rules against amateur equipment

2. Amateur radios are allowed on site. SOURCE: Personal experience, and a simple call to Guest Services at Anaheim park yesterday.

What? You got me confused now.

And where, did you say, are those rules against amateur equipment? Still waiting for your answer on that one.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2013, 09:52:02 AM »

I have never written that "Disney has rules against amateur equipment." That is either a typo on my part, or a mis-quotation on your part. Could you point us to that statement - if mine, it needs editing. If someone else's, it's in error.

Clint Bradford
909-241-7666

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: