Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you get power through the firewall of an 02 Tundra  (Read 5359 times)
KF7PBY

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2013, 09:16:41 AM »

I've had a radio since I signed up here. I have not installed YET.

There appears to be no clear instructions, photos, or video on how to get power through the firewall of a car or truck; at least there is no info on how to get power through an 02 Tundra. I'm sure there must be ham's that have Toyota Tundras out there. I see them with a radio antennas fairly regular. The question is, how do you get power through the fire wall on a Tundra?

I don't expect an answer as no has provided help in this area that I can find using the search. I just though I'd post this to let other new guys know what they may run into here, and to not be surprised. Ham clubs in my area pretend to be there to help but don't offer anything but political ham talk. I hope others have better luck. 
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 10:23:04 AM »

A car stereo shop will know the answer.
KE7EYX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 01:34:24 PM »

The easiest way to get through the fire wall on any vehicle is look under the dash around drivers side and follow the electrical or brake and clutch pedals and cut a slit in the rubber boot and pass your wire thru. If have the room can always drill a hole and put a grommet.  I have a spot on my vehicle where if it had the clutch pedal thats where it would have been, manufacturer used it to pass electrical thru. I cut a slit in the side of the boot and passed my power cord thru, then zip tied it off routing it how i wanted it ran. 
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 01:47:17 PM »

on many of the installs i have done,it is easier to go in the back corner of the cab..seeing as most radios now have sep kits,you have to mount the body under a seat or something,and plenty of head cable is supplied for mounting.. i usually run the power cables from the battery to a fuse link,then using zip ties to run the power wires along the from neatly to your spot of choice..using a rubber grommet to plug the hole i have drilled in the cab corner to clean things up after.. you dont need a big hole..
KC0RZW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 06:53:54 PM »

There is a large rubber boot on both the driver and passenger side with wire harnesses running through, plenty of room to pass a few more wires.  Drivers side is probably more convenient as the battery is on that side.
KK4CRY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 01:11:58 AM »

search on http://www.tundrasolutions.com/
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 01:38:58 PM »

All late model Toyota products have an unused teat on the main power feed through. It is there to provide a pathway for after-market devices, whatever they are. If you can't find it, ask your local service manager to point it out to you.

LA9XNA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 06:55:32 PM »

Most kars have a multi cable feed through on the firewall. very ofthe there is several un used places in the feedt hrough.
On modern WW it looks llike a rubbermatt with nippels just behind the battery. It is probably something on Toyota as well.

Use a rigide wire or a antenna whip to punch through forom the enginge compartment, tape the cable to the whip and pull back.
If you want to have the feed through water thight, pull che cable an inch or two extra into the engine compartment put on some silicone selant and pull the cable back an inch.

This is how I installed che cables when working for a local Icom dealer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: