Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-817ND vs KX3  (Read 47441 times)
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 04:56:39 PM »

Here's a clever KX3 manpack mod:  http://www.oe2atn.at/tom/gobox/

Sorry, that does not count as  a manpack in my book; it's a radio in a nice box.

However the W4KYR's picture does count for me as a manpack as the radio, battery, tuner and whip antenna mount are all in one package.

With a little imagination I'm sure you could easily adapt this idea and screw an antenna mount onto the box.
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2014, 08:25:06 PM »

It all depends of course on your intended use. If you plan on operating from batteries in the field, then you need to look at receive current draw first. The KX3 beats the FT-817nd hands down. The KX3 will also filter CW down to 50Hz! The only issue with the KX3 for field operations is that you will need to get a Pelican case for it and forget about operating in the rain. The FT-817nd might be more robust in that regard. I think the FT-817nd is a great all around radio. The KX3 is a CW monster. I own a KX3, but I am not sure I would spend as much again on a radio that does SSB, because I only use CW. I would probably get a KX1, paired with my FT-270 2m handheld.

When I got the KX3 I had the same dilema, FT-817 or KX3. I only got the KX3 because of the excellent receiver and CW. It was a hard choice, as the Yaesu offers a lot for the price.

Gil.
KB9CZ

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »

This has been an interesting dialog.  I, too, have somewhat the same problem as the original question:  live in a concrete and steel high-rise, close neighbors, and enough inter mod, light dimmers, etc. to just about kill the hobby.  I bought an FT-450D never having been on the air in my condo.  I cannot use it because of the ambient noise and interference.  I have made a few contacts using it portable, but it's not a good field radio.  I then started looking at the FT-817D because I am a dedicated Yaesu fan, but this discussion has pretty much convinced me that the KX3 is better suited for my "take it to a park" and have some fun.  Now all I need is some iPad to KX3 software to do some digital modes.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2014, 04:07:29 PM »

It all depends of course on your intended use. If you plan on operating from batteries in the field, then you need to look at receive current draw first. The KX3 beats the FT-817nd hands down. The KX3 will also filter CW down to 50Hz! The only issue with the KX3 for field operations is that you will need to get a Pelican case for it and forget about operating in the rain. The FT-817nd might be more robust in that regard. I think the FT-817nd is a great all around radio. The KX3 is a CW monster. I own a KX3, but I am not sure I would spend as much again on a radio that does SSB, because I only use CW. I would probably get a KX1, paired with my FT-270 2m handheld.

When I got the KX3 I had the same dilema, FT-817 or KX3. I only got the KX3 because of the excellent receiver and CW. It was a hard choice, as the Yaesu offers a lot for the price.

Gil.

I'm not sure that the 817 is rain resistant to any greater degree than the KX3.  The 817 has an opening on the top for the speaker and to admit rain, as well as the faceplate which has no useful weather proofing that I could tell.  It also lacks any kind of industry standard IP rating for dust or moisture.  I used to own an 817 and currently own a KX3.
N6PG

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2014, 01:36:39 PM »

I have the FT-857 and the KX-3. I really like both radios. I've used the FT-817, but I haven't owned one. The KX-3 is amazing. Everything is inside the box, so you can throw some wire up in a tree and you're off and running. Battery, tuner, radio... All you need is some wire.  Great article here for portable random wire ant http://www.hamuniverse.com/randomwireantennalengths.html

If you know cw, qrp won't be frustrating. I always seem to get a QSO when I call or tag on to someone signing off. The KX-3 has been the easiest field setup I've had. If I have more time, I setup my Buddipole ant.

I haven't tried SSB on qrp. I do use the FT-857 at 100 watts with an A123 battery. That makes a nice portable setup, but much heavier.

Enjoy!
Scott
K7LZR

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2014, 01:31:49 PM »

Yeah well this has got to be one of the coolest things ever done to manpack an FT-817:

http://www.tristate.ne.jp/ja8fev/hamradio/ft817m/ft817m.htm

Can't do this with a KX3.

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »

Yeah well this has got to be one of the coolest things ever done to manpack an FT-817:

Can't do this with a KX3.

Maybe nobody has, but I see no reason why they "can't" do you?  The same methodology could be implemented quite easily with a KX3 instead of an 817 don't you think?  I mean the finished product would look a little different but the idea would be the same.
AF6WL

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2014, 05:38:42 PM »

While it looks the part, it's all window dressing; extra weight and bulk -  no extra battery capacity, ATU or whip mount  etc.

Back to the topic of KX3 vs FT-817ND : I'm increasingly finding I prefer the sound of my FT-817 ( I have an upgraded speaker ) particularly with weak signals ; the analog architecture just sounds better than the KX3 digital signal.

As a side topic : I read on QRZ that the FT-897D is discontinued in Japan.
Given there are discounts on the FT-857D, I wonder how long the FT-817ND has to go before it's out of production.
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?439132-Yaesu-FT-897d-Discontinued-(
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 05:41:25 PM by AF6WL » Logged
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2014, 10:03:09 PM »

While it looks the part, it's all window dressing; extra weight and bulk -  no extra battery capacity, ATU or whip mount  etc.

Back to the topic of KX3 vs FT-817ND : I'm increasingly finding I prefer the sound of my FT-817 ( I have an upgraded speaker ) particularly with weak signals ; the analog architecture just sounds better than the KX3 digital signal.

As a side topic : I read on QRZ that the FT-897D is discontinued in Japan.
Given there are discounts on the FT-857D, I wonder how long the FT-817ND has to go before it's out of production.
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?439132-Yaesu-FT-897d-Discontinued-(

I think you would need to hook both radios to the same external speaker to tell which has a better signal.  I found that the KX3 has much, much better audio than the FT-817ND when both are hooked to the same decent external speaker.  I tend not to use internal speakers, as the audio quality is poor in my opinion.
W1AJO

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2014, 06:52:53 AM »

I am biased toward the FT-817ND.  Bought my first one in 2004, my second one 6 weeks ago.

The 817ND needs two mods IMHO: the W4RT two filter board and the BHI internal DSP.  This adds $450 to the cost.  I just got my 817 back from W4RT with these mods.  Highly reccomened.

That makes them about the same price.  It then boils down to your personal preferences.  The KX3 is a fine radio. If I wasn't so invested in 817 accesories I might have gotten a KX3 6 weeks ago.
N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »

FT-817ND without any questions.
AF6WL

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2014, 12:20:38 PM »

I think you would need to hook both radios to the same external speaker to tell which has a better signal.  I found that the KX3 has much, much better audio than the FT-817ND when both are hooked to the same decent external speaker.  I tend not to use internal speakers, as the audio quality is poor in my opinion.

Also prefer the FT817 on headphones 
N6PG

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »

FT-817ND without any questions.

Really? I seem to question everything and change my mind often... After operating both radios I've gone the other direction. It just goes to show how we are all looking for different features! Having a choice is great!
Scott N6PG
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 12:26:23 PM by N6PG » Logged
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »

I think it depends.  I don't have a KX3, but I have a K2 and an FT-817.  If I'm going camping, in a tent, where I'll be set up for a while, the K2 wins hands down.  I use one of those 'car jumper' things about the size of a lunchpail and I can run all week on one charge.  Well, all week around other activities.  The built in tuner also is a big plus.

But on a hike?  The FT-817 is the hands down winner.  I have the Elecraft tuner and cable for the 817, and I can throw a dipole up in a couple of trees and be on the air in minutes.
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2014, 05:55:07 AM »

I think it depends.  I don't have a KX3, but I have a K2 and an FT-817.  If I'm going camping, in a tent, where I'll be set up for a while, the K2 wins hands down.  I use one of those 'car jumper' things about the size of a lunchpail and I can run all week on one charge.  Well, all week around other activities.  The built in tuner also is a big plus.

But on a hike?  The FT-817 is the hands down winner.  I have the Elecraft tuner and cable for the 817, and I can throw a dipole up in a couple of trees and be on the air in minutes.

I think this is probably one of the best answers to which one is better.  Each is better, in a particular use case.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: