Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FNB-83 Lithium Ion Replacement Battery  (Read 11480 times)
K1MGY

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2013, 09:33:38 AM »

I am concerned that my FT60 gets quite hot when charging using the external 12VDC PA44B PSU.  Someone mentioned that the radio limits charge current "internally" but the excessive heating does not seem to stop.

It seems a reasonable upgrade to use a Lithium Ion battery, so some search yielded a battery made by Interstate (Product ID RAD0048).  The battery is rated at 2300mAHR at 7.5 V DC.  An appropriate charger can be had just about anywhere, but none I can find are specific for this battery physical package.

It seems reasonable that one would have to sacrifice the external 12V DC input on the radio with a Lion battery as without current limiting it would be toast.

Anyone have experience with this battery and charging it for the FT60?

K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 01:44:17 PM »

>> ... I am concerned that my FT60 gets quite hot when charging using the external 12VDC PA44B PSU.

And we all should be. Excessive heat is the major enemy of NiMH packs, and using a constant-rate, dumb charger is NOT a good way to charge them.

Yaesu is now shipping FT-60R with an intelligent NiMH charger, the SBH-13.

>> ... a reasonable upgrade to use a Lithium Ion battery ...

They have a weight advantage over NiMH. They USED to be a lot more expensive than NiMH - but no longer. They seem to hold their charge longer between non-use (I have an Icom commercial HT that - honest to gawd - I haven't placed on a charger in over a year, and it just turned on at 7.2V.) And they usually have larger capacity than their NiMH counterparts.

But seeking a replacement ONLY because your NiMH pack is getting hot? How about just timing your charges with the included wall wart to, say, eight hours max with a lamp timer? Letting them cook over the weekend is surely going to lessen the total number of discharge-charge cycles we can get out of the packs.

I still have a couple 2004-era original NiMH packs that still hold adequate charges. I mainly use 2700mAH NiMH Maha cells in the FBA-25 tray - and charge them with a Maha multi-cell charger.

Clint K6LCS
909-241-7666 - cell (pun intended)

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 05:09:43 PM »

Yaesu Parts - US is now offering the SBH-13 charging cradle - to be used with your PA-48B/C/U 12VDC 500mAH wall wart - for sale.

This is the drop-in charger that has been shipping with the FT-60R this year.

Part Number: CB6474001
Description: SBH-13 ASSY
$24.28 each

The fine print: Price does not include tax (only if applied to your state) and/or freight cost. If you wish to purchase this/these item(s), please contact Yaesu parts via email or call their office at 1-714-827-7600 ext 4. Monday thru Friday between the hours of 8:00AM thru 5:00PM Pacific Time.

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
K4AX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 09:57:02 AM »

I know this is a late reply, but I've used a a Lion pack for a few years with a FT-270 and FT-150.  When the pack is fully charged it shuts down charging internally, so whatever is connected to it, either plug in charger or drop in, it stops charging.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: