Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Different display colours for Stand-by, RX, and Tx  (Read 16675 times)
VE4CHT

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:16:39 AM »

Hi,

I was looking at an Alinco DR-635 because I like the fact that it can be set so that the display backlight colour changes according to the state of the radio (i.e. Stand-by, Rx, and Tx). I've seen radios where the backlight colour can be changed, but not like this one where 1 of three colours can be set for each state. Does anyone know of any other radios that have this feature?

thank you,

Kurt
VE4CHT
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:08:43 AM »

I recall a number of HT's (Standard C-168, for instance) that I've had over the last twenty years that had a bi-color LED that indicated GREEN on signal RX, RED on TX, and otherwise was OFF.

Does that count?
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 11:40:53 AM »

If you have a transceiver that has both a busy and a TX LED it is fairly trivial to convert it to do the same.
VE4CHT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:12:28 PM »

Thanks...but I'm not talking about the LED, I mean the backlight dispaly colour. If you go to this Youtube Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNbNIOJu8Wc

If you advance to about the 43 second mark, you'll see how the display changes colour. The case of the Alinco DR-635, it has the colours red, violet, and blue to choose from. IN the video, blue is stand-by, violet is recieve and, though you don't see it, red is transmit. I just think that this would be useful for noticing activity when the volume is turned down...also useful for letting one know that they are sitting on their mic :-)
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 08:24:17 PM »

The Baufeng UV5R handhelds do this for what it's worth.  Blue purple and orange can be set to each state.

Geof
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 12:58:38 AM »

Thanks...but I'm not talking about the LED, I mean the backlight dispaly colour.

So am I. You replace the stock backlights with tri-colour LEDs and modify the circuit.
VE4CHT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 07:10:13 AM »

The Baufeng UV5R handhelds do this for what it's worth.  Blue purple and orange can be set to each state.

Geof

Yes! I think I've seen that, but was really hoping for a mobile for in the house. I like the Alinco 635, but it doesn't receive the upper bands (800-900MHz) and that's where all the interesting stuff happens around Winnipeg and it can't be modified to do so either. It can be modded to transmit on all receive frequencies, but can't be modded to increase receive frequency range.

Thanks...but I'm not talking about the LED, I mean the backlight display colour.

So am I. You replace the stock backlights with tri-colour LEDs and modify the circuit.

Oh, I'm with you now. But that's far beyond my talent level. Intriguing idea though!
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 06:40:44 PM »

The FT-857 Yaesu has 32 different display colors,but cannot be programmed for different rx/tx colors.  I think you`ll find doing that would be too difficult on the eyes anyway. Only the led changes color with rx/tx. It can be programmed for different colors with mode change,or signal strength change,etc.
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 03:20:25 PM »

The wouxon dual band mobile allows you to do what you are looking for.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 09:16:08 PM »

Wow ... I was operating knowing that when I heard something in the speaker, it was receiving. And it was transmitting when I keyed the mic ... (grin)

Not on topic at all, but I sure enjoy the dual-band rigs that allow you to split the audio for "left and right" bands. When my "Band A" receives, the speaker mounted on the car's door post just behind me goes off - and when "Band B' receives, the speaker from the rig itself is used.

That way, you never have to take your eyes off the road to look at colored displays to know what band/channel is receiving. Call me grumpy, but having multi-color displays in a mobile rig is worthless. They should all be amber backgrounds with black characters - proven to be the most legible under all lighting conditions.

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 10:21:02 AM »

I remember CB rigs that used to do that--don't ask me which ones, that I can't answer.  But other than the "look at my toys" purpose of the different colors, I too consider it next to useless--but to each their own.

Other than leaving the mike on the seat and sitting on it, a ham knows that he's transmitting--when he's pressing the PTT switch.  Likewise, the panel lights are on when the rig is in standby, and you can hear it when receiving.  Simple--and effective.  73!
VE4CHT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 02:20:26 PM »

The wouxon dual band mobile allows you to do what you are looking for.

AJ30 for the win. Yes, it does indeed!

As for the remarks about the usefulness of this feature, I appreciate your comments. I can see how it would be distracting trying to drive with the display changing colours, but to have it set up at home where the volume gets turned down a lot (believe it or not, not everybody enjoys the sound of radio chatter...yeah, I know I don't really get it either), I like the idea of the changing display to alert me of 1) activity and, 2) that my volume got turned down (again).

But, the Alinco and Wouxon don't reach the 800-900mHz range.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 06:16:27 AM »

...I can see how it would be distracting....but to have it set up at home where the volume gets turned down a lot (believe it or not, not everybody enjoys the sound of radio chatter...yeah, I know I don't really get it either), I like the idea of the changing display to alert me of 1) activity and, 2) that my volume got turned down (again).

But, the Alinco and Wouxon don't reach the 800-900mHz range.

You would likely miss any activity...unless you were in the same room and looking at the rig when the frequency was active anyway.  BUT--yes, I can see your reasoning there.  73.
KJ4RQX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 03:21:20 PM »

I do this alot as well. I'll turn my radio volume down all the way and not know it.  A color changing display is an interesting feature - but not a deal breaker.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: