Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nevada couple that went missing and amateur radio  (Read 9564 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 02:28:26 PM »

If I was the husband and that was the ravine I got stuck in, rescue would have been the last thing on my mind.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 09:23:48 PM »

RBW:  Truer words were never spoken!  Many people attempt to have fun without thinking!
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »

Last October two members of my club took a jeep trip along the Bradshaw Trail in Riverside County, CA.  This trail runs from San Bernardino to the Colorado River.  At the western end of their trip near the Salton Sea, they tried to cross what they thought was a dry wash.  Instead, they ended up mired up to the hubcaps in thick mud.  They were unable to free the jeep so they decided to call for help.   

There was no cell phone coverage where they were, but they were in contact with one of the club officers through a repeater in the Laguna Mountains east of San Diego.  He knew exactly where they had gotten stuck because of their very strong APRS tracking signal.  The club officer was able to call the Riverside County Sheriff's Office, who in turn contacted the California Highway Patrol.  The CHP airlifted them out by helicopter and took them to the town of Thermal.  The next day they were able to get someone to take them back to the jeep and pull it out of the mud.

This points up the value of being prepared with radio and APRS.  Because of those two items, our friends were found within a short time of calling for assistance and didn't have to spend a cold night in the desert.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: