Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to find a replacement volume potentiometer for Pro-405/Pro-2018 scanner  (Read 5213 times)
KU4UV

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2013, 08:43:20 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find a replacement volume potentiometer for a scanner that I own.  The scanner that I need the potentiometer for is a Radio Shack Pro-2018 scanner.  This particular scanner was manufactured by GRE, which has since gone out of business, so I don't know how difficult obtaining a replacement will be.  I would assume that maybe Mouser would carry this particular pot, if it was manufactured by Alpha or a similar company.  The volume pot itself is a 50K Ohm pot that is soldered into the PC board.  I believe the marking on the side of the potentiometer is labeled "HTC 50K."  The pot has 5 mounting tabs, 1 large tab on each side, and 3 smaller tabs at the top.  The shaft is plastic  Any thoughts or suggestions on this?  I know MFJ used to manufacture a similar model, and I have sent them an e-mail to see if they can help me.  Radio Shack customer support was next to no help, big surprise there.  Thanks guys!

Mike KU4UV
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 11:42:09 AM »

Mike,

You are going to have to get one at Mouser. You will need the physical and electrical specs. The biggest problems are matching the physical size so that it fits. Electrically, you can get almost any pot.
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 12:07:04 PM »

Mike,

You are going to have to get one at Mouser. You will need the physical and electrical specs. The biggest problems are matching the physical size so that it fits. Electrically, you can get almost any pot.

Yes, you are probably right, I called MFJ as well, and they don't have any parts, so I will have to try Mouser.  I might even just try sending the part to Mouser and seeing if they can match it up with a part they have in stock.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »

then you'll be out the pot, most likely.

what you should probably try is bring up the catalog page for things that look close in the product selector, and match the size and so on.

you will probably not find a perfect match, but should be able to come up with something that will mostly fit and work.

the HTC stamp probably means it was made by HTC, so you can try searching the web for somebody listing their product line.  since this is probably the HTC that has gotten into lower-cost smart phones, they might have dumped OEM parts manufacture for other vendors.  in 7 pages on Google, not one hit.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 10:19:15 AM »

Mike,

Yes, you are probably right, I called MFJ as well, and they don't have any parts, so I will have to try Mouser.  I might even just try sending the part to Mouser and seeing if they can match it up with a part they have in stock.

Forget that. This is a huge warehousing outfit. They do not have time for that.
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »

Mike,

Forget that. This is a huge warehousing outfit. They do not have time for that.

I figured it can't hurt to at least try.  I have had to order parts from MFJ in the past, with no problem, so I thought at least I'd give it a shot in the dark chance that maybe they still had one or two in stock, which they don't.  No matter, I found this on Mouser.com

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/PTV09A-2020F-A503/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduiIxNm77rD%2f7kL5o3JwqV1mrK2zYRj3IiGaRl0%252bLCFbY7WfoEQzv47%252b

It looks like the exact same part that came out of the scanner, only the body is smaller, so they compensated by making the shaft longer.  It looks like it will work just fine.  Thanks for the replys gang!

Mike KU4UV
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 07:24:46 AM »

I went through a similar deal trying to find an AF pot for a Shady O Rack 10 meter rig.  Finally tracked down the company which sold the "export" 11 meter version of the same radio and they got me the pot for a coupla' bucks.   The Bourne pot will be a nice one. 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 10:24:04 AM »

Have you considered contacting Rat Shack itself?  Although a colossal pain to do, it could be that they have replacement parts in their stock--or could point you in the right direction to find them.
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 01:57:54 PM »

Have you considered contacting Rat Shack itself?  Although a colossal pain to do, it could be that they have replacement parts in their stock--or could point you in the right direction to find them.

Yes, tried doing just that.  Like I figured they would be, they were next to no help.  I miss the good ole' days when Radio Shack actually sold good products and you could get replacement parts.  Mouser is still the best as far as replacement parts for most Electronics.  It can just take time to track down the right part from them sometimes, but they have always been helpful.

KU4UV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: