Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TX5D Austral Islands  (Read 21625 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 12:48:11 PM »

I just can't get myself to work a PSK pile up.

I can't even get myself to work PSK at all, never mind in a pile up.  I bought a SignaLink, made about 25 contacts and it now collects dust.

I use my SignaLink USB for RTTY but I just can't seem to care about PSK.  I only do RTTY because most DXpeditions use it.  Same with SSB  Roll Eyes

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 07:38:26 PM »

I wasn't sure why there wasn't a thread so I started one.  Grin

I would guess most of us have Austral Islands in the log numerous times.  I have five or six bands. They seem to be active at least yearly.

73, Gene AF3Y

Hey, I'm a bottom feeder. Good chance that something in the top 50 is not in my log.  Cool

Eric
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 07:26:13 AM »

I have gotten two band fills from them. I am appreciative. Now I just need the low bands

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K7JBQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 03:36:54 PM »

What's the matter with some of you people? If you don't like PSK, or any other mode, fine. Don't use it. But why waste bandwidth complaining about it?

Worked TX5D 10/4 at 0149 on 17m PSK. Excellent op, good signal, easy to work split and, and as others have said, not much slower than RTTY.

Have Austral confirmed, but this was a first on digital.

Bill

W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 03:56:04 PM »

They are the strongest I have heard on 10M here in NTx  since the start of the DXpedition! Have steadily increased in signal strength since 2 PM Central time.

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 04:59:03 PM »

I missed them on psk. I hope they come back again on psk or rtty. I am watching

Mark N1UK
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »

They are the strongest I have heard on 10M here in NTx  since the start of the DXpedition! Have steadily increased in signal strength since 2 PM Central time.

Same on 12m.  The band noise is spooky quiet here too. It's not rare DX but darn pleasurable to work tonight, huge signal absolutely no noise. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 09:01:54 PM »

What's the matter with some of you people? If you don't like PSK, or any other mode, fine. Don't use it. But why waste bandwidth complaining about it?

Worked TX5D 10/4 at 0149 on 17m PSK. Excellent op, good signal, easy to work split and, and as others have said, not much slower than RTTY.

Bill

I don't know how long you've been reading the forum but you don't have many posts.  If you don't like complaining and what you deem as wasted bandwidth you aren't going to like this forum or any other.  We aren't paying $7/MB like the TX5D operators so bandwidth is extremely cheap.

I've seen many posts over the years about an expedition not using enough CW, SSB, RTTY, being on the wrong bands at the wrong times, not working enough East Coast, West Coast, North America, working too much North America and not enough Europe, etc.  You would probably call that complaining but I've never read any complaints.

Oh, around April 1st I write a post about the opening day of baseball season.  I just want to prepare you for next season since there are only a few weeks left in this season.   Cheesy

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 09:20:38 PM »

With both amps out of commission (my backup Heathkit dropped all of 1 inch but it broke the fuse holder this morning) I was able to work TX5D with only 100W. He was on 10 meter phone with a fairly strong signal this afternoon.  I don't normally like it when they are working by numbers since I usually break the pileups pretty quick with 1,500W but it no doubt helped me today working barefoot.  He was working each area for a long time but had he limited it to the strongest 5 or 10 I'm not sure I would've been heard.  I have Austral I. on 15 and 20 but only a QSL card for 20. It will be nice to get a LoTW confirmation.  I took a few shots on 12 cw but the tribander didn't cut it w/o the extra help.  Also, he was much weaker than 10 meters but possibly just here because the Skyhawk is not resonant on 12.   

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 09:38:06 PM »

Bill

Bill if we don't have something to complain about, we are not a happy bunch. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 02:30:11 AM »

Bill

Roger Bill,   it's all good.   Keep on sharing....  It's a message board.. nothing more.   Pretty useful. 

I think I'm done with TX5D - when I do a search in my log software - a message pops up saying "STOP BOTHERING THEM!"

Kinda of funny though - when I try calling for CY0P another message pops up.. "YOU'RE JOKING RIGHT??"

Good news - I just worked FW5JJ before the crowds after seeing them on my phone - just came back from a baseball potluck party..  nice...
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 02:34:47 AM »

I would guess most of us have Austral Islands in the log numerous times.  I have five or six bands. They seem to be active at least yearly.

73, Gene AF3Y
Still, it was fun to work them barefoot with my poor little vert.  Grin

73, Steve.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 07:07:53 AM »

It's worth mentioning for me at least. Many times in the past year I often worked a call when they were in Marquesas islands, and then didn't work them the next week in Austral Islands when they were using the same call.

Just from my perspective... TX5D has yet never been loud at my QTH, but they seem to have really excellent ears, and I'm glad to have read about them here.

Tim.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2013, 07:20:49 AM »

It's worth mentioning for me at least. Many times in the past year I often worked a call when they were in Marquesas islands, and then didn't work them the next week in Austral Islands when they were using the same call.

Just from my perspective... TX5D has yet never been loud at my QTH, but they seem to have really excellent ears, and I'm glad to have read about them here.

Tim.

FO/F6CTL did that island hopping routine with the same call back in all locations back in 2011.  I had read about his trip in one of the bulletins and I copy the info to a calendar for new ones so I was prepared because I needed both FO/m and FO/a.  He did activate FO, FO/a and FO/m and I was able to work him from all 3 places. I think he also did some island hopping in French Polynesia for IOTA collectors.  He was a good OP and a fast QSLer.  I only caught him on 20 meters when he was working LP to Europe but that time (about 05 to 07 Zulu) is usually very good to work the S. Pacific from the East Coast US.

Chris
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 08:37:25 AM »

I was lucky last night with TX5D. I tuned them in on 40m ssb and put out a couple of calls with little hope against the West Coast wall and then the op says, "lets go by the numbers and start with number 1's"

I was the only number one and one call got me in the log. Later on I had to bash away on 30m and finally got in the log around 01:10 am local time.

Mark N1UK
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: