Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New FDM-DUO SDR from Woodboxradio  (Read 32269 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2013, 05:54:17 AM »

Anyone know anything about this "coming soon" integrated SDR transceiver?
AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »

That looks interesting

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »

That looks interesting

SDRs like these are the future of SDR, not SDRs with external  PC's. There are many knobbed SDRs hitting the ham market soon. None of them are developed in the USA.

https://sdrzone.com/

Stan K9IUQ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 08:10:27 PM »

It's a 5 watt boutique radio. Will likely be priced beyond but a few who are willing to play. It doesn't look particularly robust or resilient.

Knobbed SDR's are indeed the wave of the future, but notice that all of the current crop offer the option of connecting to a PC, which says a lot...

I like the looks of the radio, except for the SO-239.

I'm more impressed with the SunSDR MB-1.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 04:13:42 AM »

Will likely be priced beyond but a few who are willing to play.

The above statement sounds like you are talking about the Flexradio 6000 Series....

It's a 5 watt boutique radio.

A 5 watt boutique radio sounds like a Flexradio 1500, computer required...

notice that all of the current crop offer the option of connecting to a PC, which says a lot...

The option of connecting to a PC says a lot? Yes it does. Almost ALL knobbed radios today can be connected to a PC to be able to do useful things. You know, like reading the frequency and mode for your logbook, clicking on a DX station in the cluster and immediately tuning to it, firmware updates, HRD. Useful things. Does that surprise anyone??? A PC connection should be required on ANY modern knobbed or SDR radio.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:33:18 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 04:34:33 AM »

offer the option of connecting to a PC, which says a lot...
There is thick black line between "option" and absolute "requirement"; yeah, that does say a lot.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 11:58:33 AM »

There is thick black line between "option" and absolute "requirement"; yeah, that does say a lot.

Yes. With the FDM-DUO, connecting to a PC is "optional". It is "Optional" if you want the "option" of having the radio actually seem more useful than a Youkits SSB xcvr.

http://ecom.eladit.com/WebRoot/ce_it/Shops/990298944/MediaGallery/FDM-DUO_Leaflet_1_ING_LO.pdf

The point is that the PC is still very much a requirement for taking advantage of all that the knobbed has to offer. Without a PC, it's little more than a basic QRP rig. It's not even up to par with a KX3 as far as functionality. Using Elad's receiver pricing as a guide ($560 for a PC controlled SDR rcvr), this new radio could be anywhere from $800 to over $1k.

On the other hand, the MB-1 is a fully featured, fully integrated, fully knobbed and buttoned, full power HF thru VHF SDR, targeted in the $3500 - $4500 range.

This is the future of SDR

There's a difference.

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 05:08:25 PM »

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Cheesy
The MB-1 with the chicklet style buttons, looks sort of cheap
and cheesy to me.  Especially for a radio that will sell somewhere
around $4,000.00.
The FDM-DUO has a much cleaner looking front.
james
WD5GWY

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 06:20:04 PM »

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Cheesy
The MB-1 with the chicklet style buttons, looks sort of cheap
and cheesy to me.  Especially for a radio that will sell somewhere
around $4,000.00.
The FDM-DUO has a much cleaner looking front.
james
WD5GWY

Yep. Plenty clean. Because it has no advanced functionality without a PC interface.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 03:52:19 AM »

Because it has no advanced functionality without a PC interface.

A Flexradio has NO functionality without a PC interface. A few buttons, tuning  control and readout on the Elad radio housing are better than NO tuning control, NO buttons or NO readout on any Flexradio..

Stan K9IUQ
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 10:40:05 AM »

"Indicated price at launch by the end of 2013 is below $1000"
http://www.rigpix.com/elad/fdmduo.htm
But YT has no video of a working model

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 01:40:39 PM »

Yes. With the FDM-DUO, connecting to a PC is "optional". It is "Optional" if you want the "option" of having the radio actually seem more useful than a Youkits SSB xcvr.

http://ecom.eladit.com/WebRoot/ce_it/Shops/990298944/MediaGallery/FDM-DUO_Leaflet_1_ING_LO.pdf

The point is that the PC is still very much a requirement for taking advantage of all that the knobbed has to offer. Without a PC, it's little more than a basic QRP rig. It's not even up to par with a KX3 as far as functionality. Using Elad's receiver pricing as a guide ($560 for a PC controlled SDR rcvr), this new radio could be anywhere from $800 to over $1k.

On the other hand, the MB-1 is a fully featured, fully integrated, fully knobbed and buttoned, full power HF thru VHF SDR, targeted in the $3500 - $4500 range.

There's a difference.

It's just a PC and a radio in the same box, with the PC's monitor embedded into the front panel.  Do you get to play around with Windows Update every patch Tuesday on this thing too?

An SDR's software should be bulletproof, come up instantly, and lightweight.  This machine looks to be none of those.

The future of SDR is already here in the shape of Elecraft's KX3, the Tadiran PNR-1000A, and even the humble Commradio.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 03:33:29 PM »

There's a difference.

It's just a PC and a radio in the same box, with the PC's monitor embedded into the front panel.  Do you get to play around with Windows Update every patch Tuesday on this thing too?

An SDR's software should be bulletproof, come up instantly, and lightweight.  This machine looks to be none of those.

The future of SDR is already here in the shape of Elecraft's KX3, the Tadiran PNR-1000A, and even the humble Commradio.

THe MB-1 is equipped with either Linux or Windows. Your choice.

The future of amateur SDR is not a squad radio with a 2-5km range.

The KX3 is a fine piece of gear, but limited in useability, requiring an external amp to get to 100w, and a PC to have anything more than a rudimentary screen.  The Commradio is a nice looking piece of gear fraught with bad publicity and very mixed reviews.  I hope neither is the face of future amateur SDR.

On the other hand, a full power, HF thru VHF or higher integrated SDR with front panel bandscope/console, large programmable keys and knobs is certainly appealing to me. Once the concept rig phase is passed, judging from the other Expert Electronics rigs form factors, the production MB-1 should be quite nice.

All rigs aren't all-purpose, nor should they be. Small, portable, low power rigs are surely fun to use and are generally less expensive than their tabletop counterparts. For casual use on a fixed station, I find a larger form factor with more actual controls, more desirable.

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 05:03:18 PM »

How is a 10w radio a "squad radio" with a 2-5km range?  That's just silly.  In any event, you missed my point.  An SDR needn't have a general-purpose PC built into it, because it's a radio.

The KX3, for example, gets me to Japan on CW just fine.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:06:14 PM by KE7TMA » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 06:23:18 PM »

How is a 10w radio a "squad radio" with a 2-5km range?  That's just silly.  In any event, you missed my point.  An SDR needn't have a general-purpose PC built into it, because it's a radio.

The KX3, for example, gets me to Japan on CW just fine.

I get your point. You cited the Tadiran, which is a squad radio and has a 2-5km LOS range. Not in my projected future of amateur SDR.

The subject of this topic, the FDM-DUO, and any other small form factor SDR rigs, will likely need a PC console for full functionality, at least for the next couple of years.

A tablet QRP radio would be cool. Full SDR, full screen controls, digi modes built in, a few watts out. I would buy that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: