Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Satelites using a UV5R  (Read 5697 times)
KG4YBH

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2013, 11:41:45 AM »

O.K. a while back I asked about radios to work the satellites with as I wanted to set up a base station and not use an HT. Well now due to medical costs associated with a cardiac check this last week I find myself open to using my existing radios. Can it be done using a kenwood TM-261A for 2 meter and a UV5R HT for the 70cm. If so what would I need to do to use a set of yagi antennas with two radios. I thought about one antenna for the 70cm and another mounted on the same tripod for the 2m.

Thanks
KG4YBH
KO4MA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »

My advice...put the 261 on a 1/4 wave omni on the top of the car, and build a CJU antenna for the HT to receive on out the window. http://kd8ksn.blogspot.com/2011/09/cju-antenna.html

Remember to use headphones, set the PL tone on the uplink radio, turn the receive squelch to off, and don't transmit until you can hear the satellite!

73, Drew KO4MA
N4UFO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 08:53:38 PM »

Drew's comments are pretty close to what I was going to say, but additionally, keep the coax on the CJU as short as possible... meaning mount the antenna ON the HT. The alternative is to mount the antenna as you suggest, but use a preamp and then run a coax to the HT. With SO-50 you want to be able to rotate the antenna.... change polarity facing the bird in other words. With tripod mounted antennas, that takes a little extra planning. Hand held directional antennas make it much easier. I used a Baofeng HT with a CJU mounted on it and a Kenwood mobile at 10 watts to a 2m Squalo 5 feet above the roof. That was MORE than enough on transmit... if I had run coax to an outside antenna the loss would have negated most of the incoming signal making the receive unworkable. As Drew said, mounting a quarter wave on your car and a handheld with a CJU on it, would work better than most tripod arrangements.

To make my CJU I used 12 gauge solid copper wire, a piece of PEX pipe from an old sink faucet hookup and a short piece of RG-178 that had a BNC on it. I basically mounted the PEX pipe on the BNC with tape and ran the coax to the copper wire loop.... mere inches. I could copy the bird when above 30 degrees or so right here in my ham shack chair.

It's definitely do-able... with SO-50 a preamp would be a big help and a handheld antenna would make things much easier.

Good luck!

Kevin N4UFO
N6JSX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 07:22:09 AM »

The KG-UV# is one of the BEST "SAT Friendly" radios, in that you can program the memories to cross band, my mem's are:  Wink

22 SO50T   436.805 145.850 OFF 74.4 HIGH ON WIDE OFF
23 SO50AA 436.805 145.850 OFF 67 HIGH ON WIDE OFF
24 SO50A   436.800 145.850 OFF 67 HIGH ON WIDE OFF
25 SO50     436.795 145.850 OFF 67 HIGH ON WIDE OFF
26 SO50L   436.790 145.855 OFF 67 HIGH ON WIDE OFF
27 SO50LL  436.785 145.855 OFF 67 HIGH ON WIDE OFF

For SO-50 OPs you really do not need the 2m 261 unless you need to listen to 'yourself' doing the 2m uplink??? Now listening to yourself, aka full duplex of the 436 downlink would be handy to confirm your confirming your SO-50 access.  Remember make each TX ----short---- very short, pass max ~15min, CQ is just 'call-sign + grid'. Think contest pile up for quick info exchanges too!  Grin

As far as antennas - I use an ARROW, but you can build one and there are plenty of simple DIY plans at my YGroup and others (use RG-8x type but never RG-178/ 0.125" size coax, way to lossy even in short runs!). When I do SAT OPs I also use a headset w/boom mic, and a DVR to record the pass for later logging - remember you only have so many hands! That is why I modified a 4' wood ladder for my poor-mans SAT portable mount. You can find info/pics at my HAM-SATs YGroup - see link below.   Cheesy

Next year FOX-1 will start its ~12yr life flight. However, be it known FOX-# have flipped the uplink/dwnlink convention. Uplink likely will be 432.150 and downlink 145.950,  so your 261 will come in hand for full duplexing.  Shocked

KG4YBH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 09:23:10 AM »

Thanks for the information, now I know it is possible. I will be operating out of my shack, but will look into building the antennas mentioned.

Thanks again

Karl
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 03:26:54 PM »

The Elk and Arrow satellite antennas cost more than $100 each ... but you can certainly get into he work of high gan for a LOT less: tape measure beans ... barbed wire antennas ... umbrella antennas ... Either can be build for twenty bucks or less. Pland for a bunch of them are on the ANTENNAS page at ...

http://www.work-sat.com

My brother-in-law is a retired rocket launcher from Vandenberg. He just built a tape-measure beam and worked SO-50 the next day. They are fun to build and use - they ALWAYS start conversations with others! Just be careful if yo ever take it with you on a plane trip ... (grin)

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
KG4YBH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 05:19:06 PM »

Thanks for the web page link, I have never seen it before. I may build a receive antenna while on the tugboat and just listen to the satellites at first.

Karl
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 09:58:16 AM »

Oh, once you "just listen," you'll want to get in there with a contact!

You have the "satellite bug." Do not fight it. You are under its mysterious spell ... (grin)

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
KG4YBH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 02:30:48 PM »

Oh yeah I have the bug not just for satellites, but for moon bounce as well. On the tugboat I should be able to set up well enough with my HT that I can listen in.
W5PFG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 07:13:55 PM »

Oh yeah I have the bug not just for satellites, but for moon bounce as well. On the tugboat I should be able to set up well enough with my HT that I can listen in.

Frankly, a UV5R is only what I'd use for a "tease" into satellites.  It's fine for a short contact or two on SO-50 during a slow pass but don't expect to be a real contender.  KO4MA's advice is spot-on.  I have used the configuration he suggested for literally 1000's of contacts from my car.

I have work satellites from a boat.  It is fun.

EME from a boat would be a challenge even for the most experienced operator with a big 2m beam and WSJT.

When FOX-1 comes around, it will be even more imperative to run full duplex.  This is because you will need to adjust your uplink during the pass.  It's not an "absolute" requirement but it becomes more sensitive on a mode B bird.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: