Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: weak signals, one side of Kenwood TM-V71A  (Read 2323 times)
W9YK

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2013, 05:07:20 PM »

Have a Kenwood TM-V71A mobile rig - Used it in last car for two plus years - Took out of car as I was upgrading vehicles (lease over, new leased car)  Think the rig was functioning fine, (both sides ) when I took it out -
We installed the radio today in new car - Seems that the left side (A) receiver is now extremely weak, while the right side (B) radio is as usual, full signals, no problem.  Was able to confirm that the left side (A) transmits fine, full power, clear audio heard on repeaters being monitored, but the receive signals are way way down, almost non existent, maybe an S-1 receive, and squelch needs to be all the way open to even get any reaction.  Again the other 'side' of the rig is fine.    Thought maybe to re-seat the the connectors between the radio and the face, but can't think that could be it - Any one have experience with this problem.  Some setting to check? 
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 05:12:25 AM »

First, try a full reset.

1 Enter Menu mode and access Menu 999 (RESET).
2 Set the reset type to FULL.
3 Press the Tuning control to set the reset type. A confirmation message appears on the display.  Press [TONE] (BACK) to return to the previous display.
4 Press the Tuning control again to perform the reset
W9YK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 05:54:30 AM »

Got this reply from a local ham friend - he says "I can tell you exactly what it is, and how it can be fixed. Ceramic filter have gone bad. "  In doing some Googling, it appears this is a known issue for early models - Wondering if Kenwood is still providing a fix? Will contact them Monday, Anyone else have anything on the Ceramic Filter issue?

tnx
AE7IS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 05:35:31 PM »

I just sent my radio into kenwood for this very same fix.  suggest you call or email first.  some radios are done for free (mine as an example ) based on serial number.  And just so you know, I sent it in (took a week to get there) and it is on its way back in less than a week in the shop.  transit time took longer than the repair time.  I don't have it back yet so I don't know if this will solve my problems, but from what I've read it should.  good luck
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 05:23:29 AM »

As above. From 2011 the mainboard was revised and a DC blocking capacitor put before each of the filters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: