Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Mark all messages read" is not working on the forum  (Read 11294 times)
N5INP

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:54:09 AM »

Title speaks for itself.

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 06:41:09 PM »

Works fine here...per category and for the entire forum.

Are you still experiencing this? Are you sure you are still logged into the forums when you try?

Mike N2MG
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 07:35:06 PM »

It's very broken here, Mike. It was working for a short time in the recent past, but now it is not working at all. Same as I posted about this in the past.

If I had a nickel for every time in the last 30 days I had to log out and log back in --or clear the eham cookies when that didn't work-- I could have taken my wife out to a nice restaurant or something.

The problems have been changing, and I assumed that meant someone was working on it.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 07:06:50 AM »

Works fine here too.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 05:45:52 AM »

What browser version are you using? 

I think the forums use java or javascript... Are you blocking any of that?

-Mike
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 11:42:12 AM »

What browser version are you using?  

Currently, Firefox 31.0, under 64-bit Windows 7. I also have 32-bit Firefox on Xubuntu 12.04 and XP Pro, but I haven't logged into eham.com lately using those, because I wanted to eliminate the possibility that the problems might have been caused by accessing eHam with two different machines. But it's happened on those machines before, also.

I think the forums use java or javascript... Are you blocking any of that?

I don't think eHam uses Java. For well over a year, Java has been disabled here for well-known recurring security reasons.

Currently, I do have the NoScript plugin, and it is set to allow eham.net to run Javascript. Only googleadservices.com is blocked in NoScript. I also have AdBlock installed. Having said this, I have disabled NoScript and Adblock in the past to see if these problems went away, and it did NOT solve the problem.

The thing is, sometimes it all works. A few weeks ago, it seemed that if I waited 5 or 10 seconds between each step: logging out to delete the cookies, logging back in, checking for new messages, and marking all messages read, it helped. The errors occurred much less often. But one day, doing that didn't work anymore.

In the past month or so, logging out and back in usually --but not always-- lets me mark all messages read (doing so did not help until recently). Even when that works, I sometimes get an error message when trying to reply or enable notifications that can only be fixed by deleting all eHam cookies when logged out. I've tried many things including changing the sequences of the steps.

This ongoing problem is unbelievably frustrating. I've wanted to explain all this for some time, but I held back because I'm not a big contributor of funds to this site.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:45:59 AM by W0BTU » Logged

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 08:21:53 AM »

Works fine here too.

Expanding, I'm using Win 7 Ultimate, Firefox (latest version) with Adblock.  It (all read) still works when called.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 08:43:47 AM »

FYI: previous posts on this subject:

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,94174.msg726299.html#msg726299 and forward in that thread (posts in that thread before that was a problem at my end).

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,92669.0.html

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 08:46:56 AM »

Today, it worked once. After that, same problem.

Let me know if you need help with this.

I guess this is a known problem:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=311304.0
I also get the occasional "session verification failed" error mentioned there.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:53:04 AM by W0BTU » Logged

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 04:30:09 PM »

Works fine here...per category and for the entire forum.

Are you still experiencing this? Are you sure you are still logged into the forums when you try?

Mike N2MG

It's working now, but if you'll check the date when I posted the problem it was Jul 27 and you didn't respond till Aug 4th - over a week later. Who knows what went on during that time?

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 05:25:19 PM »

It started working for me last night, and has worked more than once today. What was done, if anything?

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 01:57:06 AM »

I spoke too soon. Just now, I had to log out AND clear the eham cookies before I could mark all  messages read.  Angry

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 05:13:26 PM »

It's working again. Smiley

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 09:07:19 PM »

It's working again. Smiley

Now it's NOT! Had to log out AND delete the cookies AGAIN!  Angry

I give up. This is never going to work right, is it??

EDIT: Now, when trying to reply (quote) to a post, "An Error Has Occurred!
Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again. " Well, I JUST DID!!!

I have never had anything like this happen on any other Simple Machines forum on other sites, and I regularly do there just what I do here.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:14:44 PM by W0BTU » Logged

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 05:40:23 PM »

Bump ...

As of NOW - it stopped working again.  Sad

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: