Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show unread posts from all boards  (Read 32321 times)
OTTAVIO

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2013, 01:11:54 AM »

I don't know if this topic has been dealt before, but if you want to view all unread post on the forum from all boards at once, you can use this shortcut:

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?action=unread

This one for Updated Topics (topics that you've read that have been replied to since you last viewed them)
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?action=unreadreplies

Let me know if this works for you.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:20:51 AM by OTTAVIO » Logged
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 09:53:41 AM »

Works great, thanks!
OTTAVIO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:23:41 AM »

Two more tricks:

1) to log in the forum directly (this is different from the Eham login page)
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?action=login

2) to view all recent posts without being logged in:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?action=recent
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 07:09:27 PM »

I don't know if this topic has been dealt before, but if you want to view all unread post on the forum from all boards at once, you can use this shortcut: ...

The question really is, why does the shortcut not appear on the forum page as it should? SMF forums have this link normally displayed for members when they log in. I do not understand why it has been removed.

WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 08:11:49 AM »

Two more tricks:

2) to view all recent posts without being logged in:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?action=recent

This feature has been on the Main "eHam Forums" Index page since day one.
INDEX LINK: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php#70

Goto bottom of page to "Forum Stats" section. Click on The line
"View the most recent posts on the forum"
..... and it's the same command.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:23:48 AM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 04:18:56 AM »

Bump.

Why can members not have this function available Admins?

I don't know if this topic has been dealt before, but if you want to view all unread post on the forum from all boards at once, you can use this shortcut: ...

The question really is, why does the shortcut not appear on the forum page as it should? SMF forums have this link normally displayed for members when they log in. I do not understand why it has been removed.

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 01:24:27 PM »

As was posted earlier, the link "View the most recent posts on the forum." in the "Forum Stats" area beneath the listings on the main forum page ( http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php ) shows the same information in a different format.

Mike N2MG
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 04:53:15 PM »

As was posted earlier, the link "View the most recent posts on the forum."

No, that's not what I'm talking about at all.

"View the most recent posts on the forum." is the same listing for every member. It's just a simple list of the recent posts in order.

I'm talking about the "Show unread posts since last visit." That's a list of new posts since each member has logged into the forum. It's customized for each member's login. It takes into account all the posts that each member has already read. It's not in any way the same as what you are talking about.

Every SMF forum I go to has that right at the top of the forum next to your personal avatar. For some reason that is not available at this forum. Something has been customized and it isn't available. Why is it not available here?  Huh
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:27:00 PM by N5INP » Logged

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 07:33:22 AM »

I don't know if this topic has been dealt before, but if you want to view all unread post on the forum from all boards at once, you can use this shortcut:

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?action=unread

This one for Updated Topics (topics that you've read that have been replied to since you last viewed them)
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?action=unreadreplies

This works GREAT!  Smiley

As was posted earlier, the link "View the most recent posts on the forum."

No, that's not what I'm talking about at all.

"View the most recent posts on the forum." is the same listing for every member. It's just a simple list of the recent posts in order.

I'm talking about the "Show unread posts since last visit." That's a list of new posts since each member has logged into the forum. It's customized for each member's login. It takes into account all the posts that each member has already read. It's not in any way the same as what you are talking about.

Every SMF forum I go to has that right at the top of the forum next to your personal avatar. For some reason that is not available at this forum. Something has been customized and it isn't available. Why is it not available here?  Huh

I think your problem is that you don't mark read posts as read. It works beautifully for me. I cannot imagine how this could possibly be improved upon.

It's much better than any other forum I've seen, and it works like the qrz.com forums used to.

My thanks to the eHam forums admins!

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 08:40:27 AM »

I think your problem is that you don't mark read posts as read.

Don't be ridiculous. I've been a SMF forum Admin for years and I know this software inside-out. The posts should not have to be marked as read. It's a built-in function that marks each post you read automatically as you read them. Each member should have the option to see all unread posts each time they log in. IT'S PART OF THE SMF SOFTWARE AS INITIALLY INSTALLED.

This is NOT THE SAME as showing a list of posts that has appeared since the last time you logged in because that list doesn't remove the posts you have already read. Why it is missing from this forum is a mystery.

For crying out loud, I guess I'll have to actually grab a screen shot of the function so people can realize I know what the *bleep* I'm talking about.  Angry

And again - the forum version is years out of date.

K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 09:34:36 PM »

Why it is missing from this forum is a mystery.

Relax
Breathe
Smile

The links you are talking about that normally appear at the top of a *stock* SMF install are not present here on the eHam.net install because we choose not to include them when we first installed SMF on our system. We created a custom theme to match our other pages.  While it might just look like SMF is stuck in our normal content area just like the other pages on our site it is not. The areas above and to the left of the SMF forum are part of our SMF theme. 

When we moved to SMF we choose to not have those links at the top along with the username and date and how many hours they have been logged into the forum and maybe a few other things.  It has been a long time - I think we moved to SMF in late 2009 - as a result I am a bit foggy on why we did it but as I look at it now I think it was to tighten up the page a bit and we did not see a reason to have those links and that extra information.  Perhaps you are correct and they are useful. I am willing to revisit them and see if we can roll them into our theme in a way that we find pleasing. 

We have been working on moving to version 2.x of SMF.  We have been sidetracked several times by more pressing issues like sever and hard drive failures but we are back on it now. And if we had a stock install of SMF this would be easy but we do not - we have done a fair amount of custom work on our SMF install to hook it into our site software.  And moving to version 2 of SMF is presenting a few challenges as we have to make sure we get all the bits sorted out.  We are close but we all have day jobs outside of eHam.net.
I can assure you that I want to get on version 2 more than you do.

George
K5TR
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 04:16:35 AM »

We are close but we all have day jobs outside of eHam.net.

You DO?!?   I've always assumed being an eHam administrator was like being an Arab prince, or a Brazilian pop star.  Wake at noon, supermodels give you a massage out by the pool, while you sip a Bloody Mary and wonder whether to take the Bentley or the Ferrari into town to sign autographs ...        Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 04:39:05 AM »

Relax
Breathe
Smile

I will as soon as people realize what I'm talking about.  Smiley

But, thanks for answering. Here's what I'm referring to, for the people who might not yet understand -

Perhaps you are correct and they are useful. I am willing to revisit them and see if we can roll them into our theme in a way that we find pleasing. 

The links,  show unread posts and show new replies to your posts, are extremely useful tools. I and I think most forum users who have access to these links use them every time we log into a forum. The reason they are right there at the right of your avatar (which is also missing here as you explained) is because they are so useful. One of the most important things you can do in a forum is to find out easily who has responded to your posts, and then reply as needed. As it is now this is harder to do than it should be. It's fine to also include a list of the most recent posts, but most people are eager to find out what posts are brand new since their last visit. You really should not have removed those useful links, but I do appreciate your re-thinking the issue.

I hope you also move to SMF 2.x also, as it provides a lot of improvements and Admin tools. Don't box yourself in with customizations so much that it's this hard to upgrade!

I have a few other ideas as well, if you'd be interested I'd be willing to put in some work on them. If you go to the EEVBlog forum, you will see the main board has either a blank oscilloscope screen, or an oscilloscope screen with a signal on it, as indicators for boards with no new posts or new posts. I was the guy who made those for the owner. The reason people make custom graphics like that, rather than use the stock SMF stuff is it customizes the forum more towards the subject matter.

Now, I do see you have done that here, but IMHO the new post/no new post graphics should have something to do with Ham Radio, not post-it notes. For example, you could have an S-Meter with no signal for no new posts, or an S9 for new posts, for these indicators. That's just one idea. If you want me to, I can think on it and send you some graphic ideas more oriented to Ham Radio. As you know, these files are very easy to swap out.

I also believe in personal avatars, and I think the members here should be able to use avatars that have something to do with ham radio, such as their rig, a rare QSL card, or other ham-related graphic. It makes it a lot easier to scan the posts and see who 's post it is you are looking for. Anyone who doesn't want an avatar can leave it off.

Let me know.  Smiley

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 09:53:12 PM »

There seems to be a new bug. http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?action=unread doesn't work like it did a couple of days ago.

When I click "Mark all messages unread", that does not always happen.

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »

There seems to be a new bug. http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?action=unread doesn't work like it did a couple of days ago.

When I click "Mark all messages unread", that does not always happen.

UPDATE: Removing all eham.net cookies solved this! Life is good again. :-)

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: