Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: possible callsign change  (Read 14446 times)
N2EYE

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2013, 05:22:33 AM »

I live in NYC.    IO have my dad's (SK) callsign.    I plasn to move to Miami in 2 years.   Will I have to change my callsign?
neil, n2eye
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 06:33:22 AM »

You can keep this callsign no matter where you move in the United States. All you have to do is notify the FCC of your new address.
WZ3O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:27:55 AM »

You can keep this callsign no matter where you move in the United States. All you have to do is notify the FCC of your new address.

ROGER THAT!
K2VVH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »

A related question - if N2EYE wanted to get a call sign that reflected his new location in 4-land, could he ask for a new sequential or vanity call with the 4 digit?
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:09:19 PM »

A related question - if N2EYE wanted to get a call sign that reflected his new location in 4-land, could he ask for a new sequential or vanity call with the 4 digit?
Yes to both, but given the fact that he now holds his late-father's callsign, I don't see that happening.

But if you were just tired of your existing callsign, you can just go to the ULS website and request a sequential callsign any time you want, but it will be tied to your district. You can request a vanity with any number in it as long as the prefix is not from Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or US posession... unless of course you live there!
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 02:10:04 PM »

... you can just go to the ULS website and request a sequential callsign any time you want...

UNLESS the government is shut down!

I never would have expected them to turn off a web site that doesn't require human interaction--I'm just glad they're back working now.
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »

But if you were just tired of your existing callsign, you can just go to the ULS website and request a sequential callsign any time you want, but it will be tied to your district. You can request a vanity with any number in it as long as the prefix is not from Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or US posession... unless of course you live there!

ok, so let's say for argument's sake that i do just that.  I am an Extra now so would they assign me a 1x2 or the shortest available format?  Also would it *definitely* be a 9 (it sounds like it would even though other people can completely disregard their district when seeking vanity calls)?  (I live in Indiana)...
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 05:21:49 AM »

I am an Extra now so would they assign me a 1x2 or the shortest available format?

You would get AC9??. It looks like the last sequential Extra Class callsign in the 9th district was AC9GN.

W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 06:23:47 AM »

I am an Extra now so would they assign me a 1x2 or the shortest available format?

You would get AC9??. It looks like the last sequential Extra Class callsign in the 9th district was AC9GN.

That's correct. FCC will only issue sequentially callsigns that have never been issued before. So all the 1x2s and 2x1s are off the table. The only Group A calls (in the lower 48) that are unused are the A 2x2s, and even all of them are gone in region 4. (Extras in region 4 receive Group B calls. Current sequence is KV4??.)

If you want a 1x2 or 2x1, the only way to get it is via the vanity program. That's been true for a long time.
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 01:12:56 PM »

Thanks for the reply Stephen & Scott.  So now I am curious why 2x2 call is deemed more desirable than a 1x3? I guess the answer is that once all 1x2's and 2x1's were issued they went to 2x2's (probably most of the 1x3's were out and the 2 letter suffix perk was what was given sway)?

For me, since my uncle and most long-time hams had 1x3 calls when I was first licensed in 1976, 1x3's seem more desirable to me than 2x2's...  When I moved to Missouri in 1978, I gave up WB9YCA and received a 2x2 sequential zero disctrict callsign as I held an Advanced... (I actually cannot figure out what that callsign was as we had no trees in the yard and I never operated there).  We moved back to Illinois in 1978 and at some point I became KC9JC.  Then I moved to Kentucky in 1996 and received a 2x2 district 4 callsign. Finally in 2008 I moved to Indiana and first got my old call back -- KC9JC before requesting and obtaining K9AIM in 2010.

I definitely like the 1x3 better than a 2x2, not sure how much of that is because the 1x3's seemed harder to get when I became a WB9... 1x2's are the  granddaddy of calls and clearly most desirable. 

I don't recall having any option to request a 1x3 call back in 1977 when I first became an Advanced, but perhaps I am wrong?  when did vanity calls first become available?

W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 02:28:13 PM »

Thanks for the reply Stephen & Scott.  So now I am curious why 2x2 call is deemed more desirable than a 1x3? I guess the answer is that once all 1x2's and 2x1's were issued they went to 2x2's (probably most of the 1x3's were out and the 2 letter suffix perk was what was given sway)?

"More desirable" is in the eye of the beholder.

For me, since my uncle and most long-time hams had 1x3 calls when I was first licensed in 1976, 1x3's seem more desirable to me than 2x2's...  When I moved to Missouri in 1978, I gave up WB9YCA and received a 2x2 sequential zero disctrict callsign as I held an Advanced... (I actually cannot figure out what that callsign was as we had no trees in the yard and I never operated there). 

This is strange--the fall 1978 callbook supplement says that WB9YCA became KA0BWA, a 2x3! And you're still listed with that call as late as the Winter 79-80 book (5155 Highway FF, Battlefield MO). It doesn't make any sense at all--you SHOULD have received a 2x2 Group B call since you were already an Advanced, but that's not what the books say.

We moved back to Illinois in 1978 and at some point I became KC9JC.  Then I moved to Kentucky in 1996 and received a 2x2 district 4 callsign. Finally in 2008 I moved to Indiana and first got my old call back -- KC9JC before requesting and obtaining K9AIM in 2010.

I definitely like the 1x3 better than a 2x2, not sure how much of that is because the 1x3's seemed harder to get when I became a WB9... 1x2's are the  granddaddy of calls and clearly most desirable. 

I agree with you. That's the primary reason I limited my searches to W 1x2s.

I don't recall having any option to request a 1x3 call back in 1977 when I first became an Advanced, but perhaps I am wrong?  when did vanity calls first become available?

Nope, you're not wrong. The current vanity program only started in the mid-1990s (1996 I think). There was a short pseudo-vanity program in the late 1970s, but only Extras were eligible, and it only lasted a couple of years. (That's a completely separate story.) Other than that, you could only request a sequentially-assigned call, and it would be one that was consistent with your license class. So as an Advanced, you couldn't request a 1x3--they're Group C calls, and you were eligible for a Group B.
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »

For me, since my uncle and most long-time hams had 1x3 calls when I was first licensed in 1976, 1x3's seem more desirable to me than 2x2's...  When I moved to Missouri in 1978, I gave up WB9YCA and received a 2x2 sequential zero disctrict callsign as I held an Advanced... (I actually cannot figure out what that callsign was as we had no trees in the yard and I never operated there). 

This is strange--the fall 1978 callbook supplement says that WB9YCA became KA0BWA, a 2x3! And you're still listed with that call as late as the Winter 79-80 book (5155 Highway FF, Battlefield MO). It doesn't make any sense at all--you SHOULD have received a 2x2 Group B call since you were already an Advanced, but that's not what the books say.

Thanks Stephen, it always bugged me not remembering the zero call I held while living in Missouri.  Then again, KA0BWA is not that memorable of a call anyway  Cheesy  I seem to remember having had the option to request a new sequential 2x2 district 9 call when I upgraded to Advanced in Spring 1977, but declining due to the familiarity I had with my original 2x3 call WB9YCA. 

But -- since the zero call I was issued later in 1978 was a 2x3 -- is there any chance 2x2s were not opened up to Advanced until later than 1978 or did the FCC mess up?  Maybe the fact that I held a 2x3 district 9 callsign messed them up?  If they messed up do I have any chance of being reimbursed millions of dollars for the trauma caused to me by the FCC's mistake?   Tongue

in case it matters, i made a timeline mistake up above -- we did not move from Missouri back to Illinois until 1979 and I am not sure how soon afterwards I notified the FCC and became KC9JC...

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 07:55:13 PM by K9AIM » Logged
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 11:14:49 AM »

Thanks Stephen, it always bugged me not remembering the zero call I held while living in Missouri.  Then again, KA0BWA is not that memorable of a call anyway  Cheesy  I seem to remember having had the option to request a new sequential 2x2 district 9 call when I upgraded to Advanced in Spring 1977, but declining due to the familiarity I had with my original 2x3 call WB9YCA. 

But -- since the zero call I was issued later in 1978 was a 2x3 -- is there any chance 2x2s were not opened up to Advanced until later than 1978 or did the FCC mess up?  Maybe the fact that I held a 2x3 district 9 callsign messed them up?  If they messed up do I have any chance of being reimbursed millions of dollars for the trauma caused to me by the FCC's mistake?   Tongue
Not sure why, but it looks to me like the FCC messed up. It wasn't that 2x2s weren't available then--the K 2x2s were opened up at the same time as the K 2x3s. Maybe your existing 2x3 was a factor. WB9YCA was (and still is) considered a Group D call, and they replaced it with another Group D. The only thing I can think of is human error.

You'll have to talk to your psychiatrist and your lawyer about the "trauma" you were caused, and how much it's worth.  Wink
in case it matters, i made a timeline mistake up above -- we did not move from Missouri back to Illinois until 1979 and I am not sure how soon afterwards I notified the FCC and became KC9JC...
I noticed that (since I looked in a Win 79-80 book), but it wasn't relevant. I didn't check to see when you were issued KC9JC (based on the change of address submission).
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 08:52:18 AM »

Not sure why, but it looks to me like the FCC messed up. It wasn't that 2x2s weren't available then--the K 2x2s were opened up at the same time as the K 2x3s. Maybe your existing 2x3 was a factor. WB9YCA was (and still is) considered a Group D call, and they replaced it with another Group D. The only thing I can think of is human error.

Looking for a possible explanation besides FCC error -- is it possible there was a box on the form which needed to be checked to request the 'better' 2x2 callsign, or did it happen by default? If there was such a box I would have checked it upon moving back to Illinois as KA0BWA would have had me looking for something shorter and WB9YCA would have become somewhat distant history to me at that age...

You'll have to talk to your psychiatrist and your lawyer about the "trauma" you were caused, and how much it's worth.  Wink

well, i avoid psychiatrists because anyone who sees a shrink ought to have their head examined.  and, i doubt I could find a lawyer who would take my case based on potentially earning 1/3 of the one dollar I would seek from the FCC as compensation for said trauma. (that's what i would offer)

are there any 1x2 W9 callsigns they have never issued? if so, maybe I could negotiate a settlement...   Cheesy

btw, I am surprised they issue calls like W9FCC -- did it get issued when the W9F_ _'s were first being issued way back when?
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 04:54:38 AM »

Looking for a possible explanation besides FCC error -- is it possible there was a box on the form which needed to be checked to request the 'better' 2x2 callsign, or did it happen by default? If there was such a box I would have checked it upon moving back to Illinois as KA0BWA would have had me looking for something shorter and WB9YCA would have become somewhat distant history to me at that age...
I really don't know (if there was a box). I don't remember what the form 610 looked like in the late 70s, even though I know I used them.
are there any 1x2 W9 callsigns they have never issued? if so, maybe I could negotiate a settlement...   Cheesy
Nope, none left. Not even any "used" ones that are available. Every 1x2 gets used (and re-used) as quickly as it becomes available. Typical supply/demand issue: limited supply, and much greater demand.
btw, I am surprised they issue calls like W9FCC -- did it get issued when the W9F_ _'s were first being issued way back when?
I presume so, but I've never researched it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: