Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: probably nothing but--  (Read 7661 times)
N5GZH

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2013, 07:33:36 PM »

Still getting my station set up with mostly new(ish) equipment after being off the air for many years.   I am using a new Astron RS-35A power supply,  linear design. 

I have not yet powered up the transceiver, but I just turned the PS on for a (no load) voltage check.   Output was 13.8 VDC on my multimeter.  FB.  It's just that the power supply made a fairly loud buzzing noise for maybe a half second after being switched on.  This is the second time I've even had it plugged in and turned on.   It didn't make a sound the first time.

So I'm guessing this has something to do with big capacitors charging up through the transformer.  Questions, please:  Is this within the parameters of  'normal' ?   As long as the multimeter is reading within specs on the DC scale, should I be concerned about what it might be feeding into my Kenwood TS-590 ? 

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 08:40:01 PM »

I have the same power supply. Most of them do that. Nothing to worry about.
N5GZH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 12:53:27 AM »

Thanks !
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:36:49 AM »

OH no, the infamous buzz before death and destruction of the entire known universe.  Good by doctor WHO, so long Flash. beam me up scotty before this world explodes from the buzz. 3, 2, 1,  boom.

Just kidding, this is quite normal, usuall either the filter caps charging or vibration in the steel transformer windings.

not a problem
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:55:50 PM »

My Ameritron liner ps sometimes "bumps" sometimes not. I think it has to do with the sine wave crossing at the instant its turned on. But yea 'normal'.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 07:44:06 AM »

Have have that model and mine does that too. From what I've read this is normal for this model.
N5GZH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 09:34:17 AM »

Thanks for all the good info.  This is pretty trivial stuff.  Just that the high cost $$ of equipment is making me extra careful.   

If the neighbors tell me their house lights dim at power up, then maybe it's time to get  concerned.      Undecided
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 01:43:53 PM »

Lights in my shack dim briefly, there is a lot of inrush but it only lasts a half cycle or so. Breakers never even 'see' it.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 02:07:43 PM »

How does the current get to the power supply if it doesn't go through the breakers  Wink
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 05:23:58 PM »

I suspect the buzzing is the transformer going through the flux doubling stage. It's interesting to watch the primary current on a transformer at power-up take dozens of cycles before the core settles to the center of the B-H curve.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 05:29:17 PM »

WX7G

Does the extra Exam require knowledge about BH curves?
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 07:25:53 AM »

I've used my Astron RS-35A for about 23-years.  I use it, now, on my IC-7410 xcvr; before that, used it on my TS-440S xcvr, and never had any problems at any time with any rigs power supply.

Also have the Astron RS-20A, which I use on the IC-V8000 for 2-meters.  No problems with that either.

Astron Company seems to design & build their power supplies well  Smiley

Ken KC8Y
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 11:54:18 AM »

How does the current get to the power supply if it doesn't go through the breakers  Wink

Breaker never sees the current spike its so fast.. wise guy Cheesy
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 03:20:51 PM »

breakers (and fuses) need to heat up before they trip.  they see the spike, but if it doesn't heat up the trigger enough, no biggie.

inductive loads can cause breaker pop, this is why they make motor-rated breakers.  if you have to ask, you can't afford it, and you won't see them at the LowDepotNardsOSH.

this is also why they make soft-start kits, and also PTR surgistors that look like HV disk capacitors.  they get way hot in use.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 05:49:10 PM »

G3RZP,
There may be a bit of confusion with that 'B' and 'H' thingy and the Extra exam.  There are different meanings for that depending on where you are.  For instance, here in the south, it means Beans and Ham.  To the best of my memory, there were no cooking questions on the Extra test...
 - 'Doc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: