Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-570DG to IMAC question....  (Read 4199 times)
KB1TKQ

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:15:39 AM »

My lovely wife just bought me a TS 570DG for my 52nd BDay. I'm really digging this radio.  I'd really like to connect it to my older Imac...(10.5.Cool but as I research how to do this it seems like this may be a big PIA.

Finding the right serial to usb connector (female 9pin to USB) getting the driver to work....then finding the right software for both rig control and logging...ect. 

I'm beginning to wonder if I should just save up my pennies and get a cheap PC. This PC would only be used for internet use and ham radio. If I bought a new PC I think I'd go with HRD. If I stay with the MAC I'll be using FLrig.

Looking for opinions!  Thanks in advance.

KB1TKQ

Lyle
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »

For starters, hook it up using the USB-Serial adapter built by Keyspan (http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=3914)  These are, by far, the best adapters I've found for USB-Serial on a Mac.  Furthermore, they have drivers available going back to v8.6, including v10.5 (http://www.tripplite.com/shared/software/Driver/Keyspan%20Driver%20for%20USA-19HS_v2.5%20(Mac%20OS%20X%2010.2.8%20to%2010.5.x).zip)

Finding software that will run on 10.5 may be a bit difficult, but Fldigi does, I believe.  I'm not sure about a logbook program; but if you want one I think RUMlog and MacLoggerDX both have older versions that will run on 10.5. 

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 07:22:31 PM »

If you want to have the option of experimenting with all sorts of interesting amateur radio software, get a PC. Do keep the Mac around in case you need to...umm.. you know..err.. what is it again Macs are good for?? Oh yeah. The newer ones can be Bootcamped to run Windows.
KB1TKQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 10:45:26 PM »

Thanks for those links....Ill need that USB serial adapter but with a female connector on the end.  A male 9 pin is what's coming out of that back of the 570. But at least that's a start. I'll give them a call and see if they have what I need. One connector is a small investment.

I can bootcamp it but I need a licensed windows startup disk which I don't have. The Mac is great at what I use to need it for. But I'm no longer in that line of work. And that's a good thing!

Thanks for the help.

KB1tkq
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 06:01:46 AM »

The male-female 9-pin adapter can be picked up on line for about 2 bucks at many places (try NewEgg or something similar).  Simply place it between the Keyspan and your rig (or put a cable in there with the correct ends) and you'll be good to go.

There is no doubt that Windows offers a lot more amateur radio software than does the Mac, but that doesn't mean that the Mac is not useful for Ham Radio. While the software is limited in scope, the quality is hard to beat.  Logbook programs like Aether, MacloggerDX, and RUMlog (my favorite on the Mac) are as good as anything in Windows, and better than most.  Fldigi is available for digital modes, as is WSJT-X and CocoaModem, thus handling the majority of the digital modes out there. The entire Fl* sotware line can be run in OS X.  There is even great contest software in the form of SkookumLogger and RUMped, both of which are as good as Windows contest software packages.

That being said, Ham Radio on Windows is definitely easier; heck, at times Ham Radio on Linux is easier than Ham Radio on OS X.  However, once you get it setup, the experience on OS X is hard to beat. 

Ultimately, it comes down to what you want to do.  Stick with OS X and you'll enjoy it; go with Windows and you'll enjoy it too. I use Windows, OS X and Linux in my shack; I'm constantly switching around as I enjoy them all!  You can't go wrong no matter what you choose.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:40:55 AM »

Ultimately, it comes down to what you want to do.  Stick with OS X and you'll enjoy it; go with Windows and you'll enjoy it too. I use Windows, OS X and Linux in my shack; I'm constantly switching around as I enjoy them all!  You can't go wrong no matter what you choose.

Unfortunately, this is a Window PC world and wishing does not change that. Any app you might find for a Mac or Linux box you will find in much larger quantity/selection (like 10x) on a PC.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »

Unfortunately, this is a Window PC world and wishing does not change that. Any app you might find for a Mac or Linux box you will find in much larger quantity/selection (like 10x) on a PC.
[/quote]

Which is precisely why I wrote "There is no doubt that Windows offers a lot more amateur radio software than does the Mac,"

Unless you are Soviet Russian, quantity does not always equal quality.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
N6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »

Of course the Mac will run Windoze and/or Linux apps side by side with Macs using Parallels. This way I have the best of both worlds. However, the only time I use Windoze is to run my external ballistics program, RSI's Shooting Lab, and the programming software for Baofeng radio. Grin Grin Grin Grin
KB1TKQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 11:08:49 PM »

Ok...I'm having a hard time finding this cable. The serial port plug end needs to be female with a usb on the other end to connect to the MAC. I can find plenty of male 9 pins but no female. Will I need to down load a driver for this? Sorry if I'm not explaining this right but the 570 has a 9 pin male mounted to the chassis.

If someone knows of a link to a good quality one I'd appreciate it.

Kb1tkq.

Again thanks for the help.

K3dcw...thanks for the software tips. Which one is best for rig control.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »

Unless you are Soviet Russian, quantity does not always equal quality.

Actually it does in terms of software. The more writers/competition, the better the selection. IMAC is a very small market to write for and few write for it. Apple is their own worst enemy here. Their closed shop hardware platform limits innovation. The only reason Apple even exists today and was around to create Iphone was because MS threw them a big bone 10 years ago to keep them alive so they could argue they did not have a monopoly. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 01:26:32 AM »

Ok...I'm having a hard time finding this cable. The serial port plug end needs to be female with a usb on the other end to connect to the MAC. I can find plenty of male 9 pins but no female. Will I need to down load a driver for this? Sorry if I'm not explaining this right but the 570 has a 9 pin male mounted to the chassis.

If someone knows of a link to a good quality one I'd appreciate it.

Kb1tkq.

Again thanks for the help.

K3dcw...thanks for the software tips. Which one is best for rig control.

No need to source a cable just for the male/female problem; this is where gender changers come in....order them cheaply online or even go to the nearest Rat, um Radio Shack, to pick up one at about 3 times the normal price (but it is easy to get).

https://www.google.com/search?q=9+pin+gender+changer&oq=9-pin+gend&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.5862j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8

As far as rig control software, that's up to your preferences.  If you're looking for just Rig Control, then look at Flrig. Fldigi also has a variety of Rig Control options.  Most of the Mac logbook programs support rig control as well, although you'll need to check to see if they support your rig specifically.  Try them all...every Mac ham program I know of has a free trial version or is free to start with. 

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
KB1TKQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 08:46:39 AM »

Ok...found what I needed to find. I'm gonna do it your way Dave. Thanks and much appreciated.

Hopefully Amazon can get this to me by sat!

KB1TKQ

Lyle
WD8KNI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 12:24:32 PM »

"Their closed shop hardware platform limits innovation." 

Someone is smoking the Winblows propaganda plants.  Perhaps you should read the EULA you must agree to when you first booted it up.  That alone should get any CEO sued by the shareholders for allowing the company to be held hostage by it. 

OSX under the GUI is Darwin, a direct decedent of UNIX.  Much quality software is written for it.  If you must run windows run parallels under OSX, at least your base operating system will not get corrupted by viruses, and malware.

As for the hardware being closed.. My hardware is 100% windows compatible, If it wasn't how do you think bootcamp would run? 

As for a closed shop..  just load any piece of windows software that is built on Net, then see how closed the shop is now and forever, than ask yourself who now owns your data.. you pay or don't get to ever use your data again..

BSD's, Linux rocks..  Windows sucks..  and Apple does not exist because Microsoft gave them a bone.. it exists because of customer service, and quality products.   Find the OSX software you need, load and go... Fred

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: