Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank you Baofeng!  (Read 43178 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2013, 05:36:05 PM »

Sarcasm in title. A nice fox hunt and an FCC fine to the parents would cure this:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Kids-on-2-Way-Radios-Interfere-With-Emergency-Calls-228090311.html?partner=nbcnews
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »

I got two Baofengs just like those!
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 07:19:33 PM »

I got two Baofengs just like those!

LOL. You are not a child whose parents got them the radios and then claim ignorance! LOL
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:07:37 AM »

It's already been reported and complained about in Germany and other parts of Europe, it was only a matter of time until it started here.  Those radios should have never been type accepted in the first place, and never should have been allowed to be imported.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 05:51:12 AM »

It's already been reported and complained about in Germany and other parts of Europe, it was only a matter of time until it started here.  Those radios should have never been type accepted in the first place, and never should have been allowed to be imported.

Baloney. This is no different than gun control arguments. The radios are inanimate objects. Whoever allows children to have them are the ones responsible.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 06:31:50 AM »

Those radios should have never been type accepted in the first place, and never should have been allowed to be imported.

Baloney. BS. The problem was not the radio, it was the parents. No one wants to take responsibility for their own actions any more. The Baofeng was not the problem, it was the parents.

Anyone - ANYONE - ham or not, can buy any HF/VHF/UHF Radio from the ham dealers. Anyone can use these radios illegally if they chose. NO HAM LICENSE NEEDED.  Who you gonna blame Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood or the ham dealers?  Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:33:54 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 08:24:47 AM »

This has ZERO to do with Baofeng.

Its really just a result of HTs coming down in price.  The same thing would have occurred if Alinco, or Kenwood, or Yaesu started selling a $50 HT.
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 08:33:47 AM »

Its really just a result of HTs coming down in price.  The same thing would have occurred if Alinco, or Kenwood, or Yaesu started selling a $50 HT.

Aren't those HTs limited to ham-band only transmit?  I think the issue with the Baofeng radios is that they can TX out of band, out of the box.  And they're cheap, as you say.
K8YS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 12:25:25 PM »

I do not know what they engineers were smoking the day the Beofeng radios were presented for certification under FCC Part 90.  Frequency agile and dual band has always been a NO NO or Motorola would have done it years ago. More under the table Chicom deals I guess.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 02:05:34 PM »

It's already been reported and complained about in Germany and other parts of Europe, it was only a matter of time until it started here.  Those radios should have never been type accepted in the first place, and never should have been allowed to be imported.

Baloney. This is no different than gun control arguments. The radios are inanimate objects. Whoever allows children to have them are the ones responsible.

Comparing gun control to illegal radio use?  You're crazy.  The low price and wide availability of these radios invite people to buy and use them for anything and everything.  The proof of that is this story--and the statement of the people involved that this incident wasn't the first time this has happened and most likely won't be the last.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »

Comparing gun control to illegal radio use?  You're crazy. 

You calling me crazy? Then I'm reporting you to the Administrators. Calling a member here "crazy" is no way to carry on a conversation sir.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 02:07:23 PM »

Aren't those HTs limited to ham-band only transmit?  I think the issue with the Baofeng radios is that they can TX out of band, out of the box.  And they're cheap, as you say.

And that they can go on public service bands--something that other radio types cannot do.  THAT is why these radios shouldn't have been type accepted.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »

You calling me crazy? Then I'm reporting you to the Administrators. Calling a member here "crazy" is no way to carry on a conversation sir.

That's mild compared to some of your statements here lately.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »

And that they can go on public service bands--

What actually makes them go to certain band and emit radio waves? Do they do this by themselves? Do they have built-in artificial intelligence, enabling them to turn on and do as they wish - these radios you speak of?
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 02:10:35 PM »

That's mild compared to some of your statements here lately.

Well I've reported you to the Admins so we'll see what they say sir.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: