Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank you Baofeng!  (Read 41195 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 02:12:02 PM »

I've noted your posts to them as well, pal.  ALL of your recent ones. 
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 02:18:06 PM »

I've noted your posts to them as well, pal.  ALL of your recent ones. 

Oh dear - I'm shaking in my dummy load.

AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 04:26:12 PM »

I do not know what they engineers were smoking the day the Beofeng radios were presented for certification under FCC Part 90.  Frequency agile and dual band has always been a NO NO or Motorola would have done it years ago. More under the table Chicom deals I guess.

Yeah, I am really surprised they are type accepted.  Oh well.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »

Frequency agile and dual band has always been a NO NO

Since when?

If you are a smart ham most Ham Radios can be (out of hambands) frequency agile also.  Wink In fact I know CBers that made Ham Rigs frequency agile on the CB bands.

If you are a not smart ham, many ham dealers will make the radios frequency agile for you, for a little $$. I have been to many hamfests that have a tech making dual bands frequency agile for a price right at the hamfest.

They charge more than the price of a Baofeng with accessories.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:59:09 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 05:21:53 PM »

This has ZERO to do with Baofeng.

If they come with full band transmit out of the box, then it has everything to do with Baofeng.

If they need to get modded to transmit on all bands, then you are right, it is not Baofeng.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »

It has everything to do with Baofeng.

it is not Baofeng.

It has every to do with the parents not being responsible.  It was the parents fault for buying the Baofeng and then allowing children to play with the Baofeng.

Ok how about this idea, since some here seem think it is the Baofengs fault.

Let us call/write the ARRL/FCC and tell them we need a law to protect us from Un-responsible Radio Owners . No one should be able to buy ANY radio until the FBI checks you out and makes sure you have a license for the frequency needed and ain't too crazy. You must attend a 6 week Radio Safety and the Law course and pass the course.You must have a Radio Ownership Card issued from the FBI/FCC to even walk into a Hamstore/Hamfest. NO Radio Internet sales. NONE. No one under 18 years old can purchase a radio or get a license. Let's require ALL ham dealers to have proof of license/Radio card before selling any radio or accessories. Absolutely no private sales of radios.

Lets even go one better. Let us require ALL radios to be registered with the FCC (Government).

It works for guns, it will work for Baofengs. Let us get these horrible Baofengs out of the hands of children.

Yes, let us get the government involved to protect us from children playing with radios. This would solve the radio in unlicensed hands problem.

LMAO...   Cheesy Shocked Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

K9IUQ
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:13:11 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 06:41:51 PM »

It has everything to do with Baofeng.

it is not Baofeng.

It has every to do with the parents not being responsible.  It was the parents fault for buying the Baofeng and then allowing children to play with the Baofeng.

Ok how about this idea, since some here seem think it is the Baofengs fault.

Let us call/write the ARRL/FCC and tell them we need a law to protect us from Un-responsible Radio Owners . No one should be able to buy ANY radio until the FBI checks you out and makes sure you have a license for the frequency needed and ain't too crazy. You must attend a 6 week Radio Safety and the Law course and pass the course.You must have a Radio Ownership Card issued from the FBI/FCC to even walk into a Hamstore/Hamfest. NO Radio Internet sales. NONE. No one under 18 years old can purchase a radio or get a license. Let's require ALL ham dealers to have proof of license/Radio card before selling any radio or accessories. Absolutely no private sales of radios.

Lets even go one better. Let us require ALL radios to be registered with the FCC (Government).

It works for guns, it will work for Baofengs. Let us get these horrible Baofengs out of the hands of children.

Yes, let us get the government involved to protect us from children playing with radios. This would solve the radio in unlicensed hands problem.

LMAO...   Cheesy Shocked Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

K9IUQ

I agree with your first 2 lines about the parents.

I do find it disturbing, that you find this comical and funny, since the offenders are interfering with an ambulance service, which could mean life or death. I think this is pretty serious, and not funny.

As I said in the header, a simple fox hunt, investigation, and a fine from the FCC, is all that is required. Never said anything about registering all radios with the gov't, and not sure why the analogy is made with guns.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:51:20 PM by N4NYY » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 06:49:52 PM »

Those radios should have never been type accepted in the first place, and never should have been allowed to be imported.

Baloney. BS. The problem was not the radio, it was the parents. No one wants to take responsibility for their own actions any more. The Baofeng was not the problem, it was the parents.

Anyone - ANYONE - ham or not, can buy any HF/VHF/UHF Radio from the ham dealers. Anyone can use these radios illegally if they chose. NO HAM LICENSE NEEDED.  Who you gonna blame Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood or the ham dealers?  Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

My FT-60 does not come opened up. It can only transmit on the ham bands. Even if someone wanted to transmit illegally with my radio, they could only do it on the ham bands. And that would not interfere with an ambulance service.
N9KTW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 09:19:21 PM »

Here is a "silly" thought on this topic. Why not " petition" the ARRL, the FCC, or the radio importer to program the radios "out of the box" with FRS and MURS channels in them? Then a non ham or non licensed user can use them out of the box, and not cause illegal interference to licensed services. IMHO we are all "lazy", and dont read a manual if we dont have to. Having 2 radios that talk to each other out of the box, MIGHT keep the kids from interfering with licensed services, and since the radios are that way, the manual may get lost quickly!

Again, just my thoughts....

Howard
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 04:24:35 AM »

Here is a "silly" thought on this topic. Why not " petition" the ARRL, the FCC, or the radio importer to program the radios "out of the box" with FRS and MURS channels in them? Then a non ham or non licensed user can use them out of the box, and not cause illegal interference to licensed services. IMHO we are all "lazy", and dont read a manual if we dont have to. Having 2 radios that talk to each other out of the box, MIGHT keep the kids from interfering with licensed services, and since the radios are that way, the manual may get lost quickly!

Again, just my thoughts....

Howard

Here is a problem. Most hams think everyone in this country is informed on the FCC and radio freq spectrum and its rules. I can tell you based on the people I know, that at least 98% of the people do not know the difference between an FRS, ham, or any other radio. In addition, more than half the people I know would not even know who or what the FCC is. They do not know about rules, regulations, licensing, or anything.

The problem is the price and if they come out of the box wide open. My FT-60 does not. The Wouxons that come out of the box wide open cost like $175. So it is unlikely they will fall into the hands of ignorant parents. The Baofengs however, are $40. Right smack in the area of the cost of bubble pack radios, and have full band transmit.

When the GMRS crowd was hollering about the FCC letting manufacturers put their channels on the same radios as FRS, no parents knew any difference including that half the channels required a $80 license.

So it is very simple. If the Baofends required a mod like the FT-60, most of the people I mentioned above could not do that mod. And that ends this possible problem. But I think based on the amount of Baofengs radios that I see out there now, it is way too late.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 05:15:56 AM »

The Chinese imports are among the first to let people access (transmit on) the public service bands on a cheap two way radio--which shouldn't have been allowable in the first place.  You would be hard pressed to find inexpensive radios--right out of the box--that allowed you to transmit on those bands before now.  It makes NO difference that some radios could have been modified to do that, since the average non-ham couldn't do those modifications anyway.

As I said before, these radios should not have been type accepted in the first place, and now ham radio operators are going to face extra scrutiny from security and law enforcement people because incidents like the one that this report is about aren't going to go away--they're only going to increase, especially when the holiday season comes around and these cheap radios are given as gifts to people who don't know any better concerning the illegality of transmitting on any public service band without authorization--or simply don't care. 

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 05:27:25 AM »

Anyone - ANYONE - ham or not, can buy any HF/VHF/UHF Radio from the ham dealers. Anyone can use these radios illegally if they chose. NO HAM LICENSE NEEDED.  Who you gonna blame Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood or the ham dealers?  Cheesy Cheesy

The difference between the radios from Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu and these radios is simply that the radios from the big three--and other responsible manufacturers--cannot be used on the public service bands right out of the box!  They have to be modified, no matter that some modifications are quick reprogrammings.  The Chinese "multi-purpose" radios that can be used on public service bands right out of the box are invitations to all the idiots out there to do whatever they want on any frequency/band that those radios can access.

People taking responsibility for their actions has been mentioned here, and I agree that people should be held responsible for what they do.  All too many people these days don't give a d*mn, though, and the way that those people are treated does not help matter in the least.  A slap on the wrist and a 'no-no, don't do that' isn't as effective as good stiff fines and other sanctions--including confiscations of the illegal equipment.  And please don't give me the crap about personal property--the FCC has done and still does confiscation of gear.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 05:32:22 AM »

I do find it disturbing, that you find this comical and funny, since the offenders are interfering with an ambulance service, which could mean life or death. I think this is pretty serious, and not funny.

First off I do not always believe everything I read in the media. Even of some of the story is true, Media information gets spinned and things can get added to make the story more interesting. Medias primary goal is to make money, not to inform you truthfully.

Out of the box a Baofeng does not have any channels programmed, no tones progreammed or offsets programmed. You can not xmit without programming the Baofeng.

Ask yourself, how did the radios get programmed? How did the tone get programmed? Most hams can not even program a Baofeng without a PC and Chirp software.

How does a puny 4 watt Baofeng with a rubber duck talk over an ambulance or Dispatcher? Life or death? Get real.

What I do find comical is hams that blame the radio instead of putting the blame where it is deserved... I have to wonder what your agenda is?

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 05:35:52 AM »

The difference between the radios from Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu and these radios is simply that the radios from the big three--and other responsible manufacturers--cannot be used on the public service bands right out of the box! 

Out of the box a Baofeng does not have any channels programmed, no tones progreammed or offsets programmed. You can not xmit without programming the Baofeng.

Ask yourself, how did the radios get programmed? How did the tone get programmed? Most hams can not even program a Baofeng without a PC and Chirp Software.

Stan K9IUQ
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 05:42:08 AM »

Radios from the big three aren't programmed out of the box either.  The point is that those radios (from the big three) cannot be programmed with public service frequencies unless modified and the Chinese built radio can be.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: