Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank you Baofeng!  (Read 40175 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2013, 05:53:27 AM »

...How does a puny 4 watt Baofeng with a rubber duck talk over an ambulance or Dispatcher? Life or death? Get real.

What I do find comical is hams that blame the radio instead of putting the blame where it is deserved... I have to wonder what your agenda is?

First, the Baofeng does not have to 'talk over' the other radio, just the interference from its transmission can make the official transmission unreadable.

Second, please get the idea straight--it isn't the radio in itself that is being blamed, it is the FCC actually permitting (type accepting) these radios in the first place.  There again, your idea of comical is proper--the FCC, (run by lawyers and profiteers) in its wisdom is indeed comical these days.  73.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:56:25 AM by K1CJS » Logged
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 06:51:40 AM »

Sounds like something that I did back in the early 60's when I was around 10 years old or so. I wont even go into that situation but it was similar and almost go my mom and dad in a bunch of trouble. Undecided
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2013, 07:21:46 AM »

I do find it disturbing, that you find this comical and funny, since the offenders are interfering with an ambulance service, which could mean life or death. I think this is pretty serious, and not funny.

What I do find comical is hams that blame the radio instead of putting the blame where it is deserved... I have to wonder what your agenda is?

Stan K9IUQ

Well, then read my first post. There is no agenda. If the parents claim ignorance, I said that a fox hunt, investigation, and a fine would make sure the parents would put a stop to it. That is it. There is no other agenda.

I certainly did not make the moronic analogy to guns.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:23:51 AM by N4NYY » Logged
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2013, 07:35:11 AM »

Yeah, I did not realize they are wideband xmit capable right out of the box.

OK, I am on board.  I doubt it will do much good but I am contacting the FCC and ARRL right now.  I suggest you do the same.  You know if this gets out of hand the FCC will make some knee jerk regulations that will be a pain for all of us.  Urging them to take action now maybe that can be avoided.

Needing a s simple hardware mod like other manufactures, or at the very least they could do is make it a require a software switch with programming software to enable wideband xmit in order to import/sale.

EDIT: I just contacted the FCC Enforcement and ARRL Regulatory committee, and I suggest you do the same.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:53:45 AM by WS4E » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 08:08:17 AM »

Yeah, I did not realize they are wideband xmit capable right out of the box.

OK, I am on board.  I doubt it will do much good but I am contacting the FCC and ARRL right now.  I suggest you do the same.  You know if this gets out of hand the FCC will make some knee jerk regulations that will be a pain for all of us.  Urging them to take action now maybe that can be avoided.

Needing a s simple hardware mod like other manufactures, or at the very least they could do is make it a require a software switch with programming software to enable wideband xmit in order to import/sale.

EDIT: I just contacted the FCC Enforcement and ARRL Regulatory committee, and I suggest you do the same.

I sent it to the FCC via email. Likely, if this is an issue, the local clubs can fox hunt it with an police officer, and gently tell the family about what could happen. Then if it continues, I suppose the FCC can get involved. As it said in the video, the cops apparently did something or visited the parents.

There are so many of these radios out there, that it would be futile to try and change them now. I suppose they could make them start doing it from this point on.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2013, 08:30:10 AM »

As it said in the video, the cops apparently did something or visited the parents.

Yeah, here is what the cops did: "Police say the radios were taken away from the kids and later returned to their parents."

Don't worry I am sure the FCC will have much harsher penalties... Wink

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2013, 08:45:07 AM »

First, the Baofeng does not have to 'talk over' the other radio, just the interference from its transmission can make the official transmission unreadable.

Since the Strongest signal captures the Frequency on the FM mode it would be probably be next to impossible for a puny 4 Watt Baofeng with dummy load Rubber Duck to interfere with (or make unreadable) any xmission from a Dispatcher or Mobile. If a puny Baofeng can make a Public Service radio unreadable they have serious problems with their system

What probably was happening was the kids were talking trash on a Public service channel and the authorities got tired of hearing it.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:49:17 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2013, 09:30:34 AM »

I will bet you anything that the FCC will not do anything at all about the situation.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »

Since the Strongest signal captures the Frequency on the FM mode it would be probably be next to impossible for a puny 4 Watt Baofeng with dummy load Rubber Duck to interfere with (or make unreadable) any xmission from a Dispatcher or Mobile. If a puny Baofeng can make a Public Service radio unreadable they have serious problems with their system....

Overriding the dispatcher--yes, I agree with you, it's unlikely.  Overriding a mobile, however, isn't.  Just say that the mobile is in a location that is signal poor.  The "puny 4 watt" radio can and will override the mobile's signal.  No?  Well, sorry, but it has happened.  New state radio systems in both New Hampshire and Texas, to name but two, in the past few years have been plagued with poor signal reception from certain areas.  So much so that in New Hampshire, the state went back to their old system to cure the problem.  73. 
SIGINT11

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2013, 02:41:16 AM »

The sole purpose of these radios being allowed to be imported is to do what these kids radios did.  The government (FCC) has created a problem that will surely need to be fixed and the government (FCC) are the only ones who will be able to fix it.   These radios will sell more gold plated "systems" than all the Motorola salesman ever could.     remember the 800mhz rebanding debacle,  there never was a problem until the FCC ALLOWED the cell phone industry to intertwine their frequencies and modes within the public safety portion of the band.     Narrow banding, A completely unnecessary procedure all in the name of more public safety spectrum.  How many small towns and counties were/are being bamboozled by the salesman telling them they have to be digital OR ELSE!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2013, 10:04:05 AM »

Just another sign that the FCC is being run by lawyers and bureaucrats with absolutely NO idea of what goes on technically.  Go figure.
K8YS

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2013, 12:22:48 PM »

Frequency agile and dual band has always been a NO NO

Since when?

If you are a smart ham most Ham Radios can be (out of hambands) frequency agile also.  Wink In fact I know CBers that made Ham Rigs frequency agile on the CB bands.

If you are a not smart ham, many ham dealers will make the radios frequency agile for you, for a little $$. I have been to many hamfests that have a tech making dual bands frequency agile for a price right at the hamfest.

They charge more than the price of a Baofeng with accessories.

Stan K9IUQ

COMMERCIAL -- FCC Part 90. Perhaps you can name ONE dual band, frequency agile Pt90 transceiver, keypad entry,  -- yep, you cannot.
N4NLQ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2013, 11:53:06 AM »

COMMERCIAL -- FCC Part 90. Perhaps you can name ONE dual band, frequency agile Pt90 transceiver, keypad entry,  -- yep, you cannot.

Motorola JT-1000. Using a coin to short two contacts on the accessory socket enables keyboard programming.

Allan - N4NLQ
N4NLQ

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2013, 11:55:32 AM »

Oooops!  Sorry, the JT-1000 is VHF only.  You asked about dual-band.

Allan - N4NLQ
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2013, 03:56:17 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

i can:   http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?396544-Motorola-APX7000-Dual-Display-FPP-Handheld-(VHF-UHF-1%26%238203%3B)-MINT
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: