Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank you Baofeng!  (Read 43512 times)
KB4XV

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2013, 10:16:20 AM »

HJQ your are correct. We might hurt someones feelings because they don't have a license.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2013, 04:50:17 PM »

What about this. Anything that requires a license to operate should require a license to purchase.

There are at least two problems with this:

1) it makes sense.
2) product manufacturers--and their lobbyists?--wouldn't like it. (hihi)

-Aaron

Makes no sense. The minority of abusers are the problem. You cannot start making rules to police a few rogues, and ruin it for everyone else. Also, I cannot tell you how many people buy to receive only. I see people buy police scanners for police, and buy cheap 2M HTs for receiving the ham bands. That seems to be more popular than I would have even thought.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2013, 04:18:09 AM »

Makes no sense. The minority of abusers are the problem. You cannot start making rules to police a few rogues, and ruin it for everyone else....

Tell that to the government--they do it everyday.

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2013, 05:40:01 AM »

Makes no sense. The minority of abusers are the problem. You cannot start making rules to police a few rogues, and ruin it for everyone else....

Tell that to the government--they do it everyday.

So what you are saying is you want the gov't to police retail, a hundreds of billion dollars in companies? How well has the policing of liquor for underaged youths worked out? We never see anyone under 21 with alcohol, do we?

If I were to put a priority on policing retail, it sure as hell would not be ham radio, which has a miniscule 700,000 licensed individuals. Amateur radio is WAY down on the priority list for this gov't. 
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2013, 08:26:12 AM »

This was tried in 1976 to 1980 to stop CBers from buying ham radios.

It failed miserable.  The XYL who wasn't a ham, couldn't buy her hubby the new radio for Xmas or birthday.

Been there, done that.

What about this. Anything that requires a license to operate should require a license to purchase.

There are at least two problems with this:

1) it makes sense.
2) product manufacturers--and their lobbyists?--wouldn't like it. (hihi)

-Aaron
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2013, 08:51:19 AM »

This was tried in 1976 to 1980 to stop CBers from buying ham radios.

It failed miserable.  The XYL who wasn't a ham, couldn't buy her hubby the new radio for Xmas or birthday.

Been there, done that.

Great point.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2013, 02:28:05 PM »

Back to the use of commercial radios (surplus to keep the price down). Around here P25 is the digital mode of choice on the local digital repeaters and the defacto standard among the local hams. Therefore if you wish to join with the digital group you have to repurpose a commercial rig of some sort. There are no Ham P25 transcievers available from what I can tell. Each manufacturer is doing his own thing in the Ham world while all make P25 commercial units.

So cheap commercial can be the only way to go in some areas if you want digital. DStar is a non-starter here. Two P25 units up and the planned DStar has been in the operational real soon mode for over a year.

KF7CG
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2013, 10:45:26 AM »

So what you are saying is you want the gov't to police retail, a hundreds of billion dollars in companies? How well has the policing of liquor for underaged youths worked out? We never see anyone under 21 with alcohol, do we?

If I were to put a priority on policing retail, it sure as hell would not be ham radio, which has a miniscule 700,000 licensed individuals. Amateur radio is WAY down on the priority list for this gov't. 

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.  I simply gave an example of an entity that makes rules--sometimes simply to try to stop the 'minority of abusers.'
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2013, 12:56:58 PM »

Best solution is just to make it a "little" more difficult to mod it to xmit outside of amateur bands.  A soft mod, or a heck even a jumper on the board would be enough probably.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2013, 04:06:32 PM »

Best solution is just to make it a "little" more difficult to mod it to xmit outside of amateur bands.  A soft mod, or a heck even a jumper on the board would be enough probably.

That is perfect. A diode removal or solder jumper. Most of them already do that. Not sure why the Chinese do not. of the 700,000 hams, I am guessing that 1-5% are actually buying radios. That is 700-3,500 buyers. The gov't has no interest in restricting buying by demanding a license for that few people. So it is a moot point and not happening.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2013, 12:30:54 PM »

I think the best solution is no solution at all.  Finally all the hams who like to do foxhunts have a real reason to.  How often has this happened recently?  Not really very often as far as I can tell.

It is already a crime and the offender will be punished, why punish the rest of us?  I am very tired of well-meaning busybodies trying to make what should be a matter between an offender and the justice system everybody's problem.  What would Thomas Jefferson say?
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2013, 02:46:34 PM »

Doesn't even have to be that elaborate, just a config setting.

You have two broad groups of people transmitting where they shouldn't:  those that know they shouldn't but want to anyway, and those that didn't know that what they were doing was wrong.

The first group you can't do much about because if they want to transmit in bad places, you won't stop them.  Googling "vx8r out of band transmit" is surprisingly easy to do.

The second group you have some limited options.  Require warning cards in the package with all radios might help a bit, but if you had a config setting: "Transmit Bands" with a default setting of "HAM" and an optional setting of "ALL", you'd stop most people from transmitting on public safety frequencies accidentally, but they'd still be transmitting illegally on HAM bands.  You might have a few people go and enable that, but in the case of clueless parents or a couple of 7 year olds, they probably won't dig that far.
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »

This has ZERO to do with Baofeng.

Its really just a result of HTs coming down in price.  The same thing would have occurred if Alinco, or Kenwood, or Yaesu started selling a $50 HT.

Aren't those HTs limited to ham-band only transmit?  I think the issue with the Baofeng radios is that they can TX out of band, out of the box.  And they're cheap, as you say.

I know those radios will TX way outside of the ham band into law enforcement and fire frequenciest etc. The TX any place they can hear. Are tjhey FCC approved? I'd bet not. I know my Icom and Yaesu HT's can listen from 138-174 Mhz, but only TX on 144-147.990

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2013, 03:18:53 PM »

I got two Baofengs just like those!

I bought one for my 11 yr old grandson to play with.....

But he is a licensed general class operator  Wink (KG7ESK)

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2013, 06:10:55 PM »

This has ZERO to do with Baofeng.

Its really just a result of HTs coming down in price.  The same thing would have occurred if Alinco, or Kenwood, or Yaesu started selling a $50 HT.

No, really it does not.  It has to do with ANY radio (the Chinese cheapies are just the most widely known right now) that can--right out of the box--transmit on frequencies that are considered restricted--such as the public service bands.  Keep in mind that the sale of these cheap radios are not restricted in ANY way, while the sale of the more expensive radios that public service agencies use used to be, at least till technology superceded older model radios faster than they wore out.  

Ham radios from most manufacturers are transmit restricted to the ham bands--at least without modifying them, these Chinese wonderboxes ARE NOT.  They're 'wide open.'  THAT is the real problem.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: