Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank you Baofeng!  (Read 44110 times)
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2013, 08:58:19 PM »

Just like saying,I saw an adults just TODAY speeding down a city street where kids had been playing earlier.I think we should outlaw cars as well for adults because they are being abused.This makes as much sense at what some of you are posting here.Just about anything can be abused so get over it because it's not the fault of BAOFENG that the radios are being abused no more than the maker of that speeding car is because it was speeding.Can't believe you even started this post. LOL hahahaha   Grin   Wink  {:>)  }:>)   Huh

Clayton
W4KVW
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2013, 08:40:49 AM »

THe IC 02AT could be opened up by cutting a coupla diodes.  I reject the "blame the OBJECT not the USER" phony arguement.  Crystal controlled "highband" commercial band gear could be recrystaled for anything from 144 to the marine band and beyond. 
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2013, 08:47:58 AM »

The Baofeng is NOT that easy to program, even with the "book" -- if they are being misused by kiddies SOMEONE with a bit of knowledge helped out.  Baofeng UV 5's will NOT work on the aircraft band, they won't even receive there.  Wadda ya say we work the "personal responsibility" rather than the "the radio GODS should 'take care' of this" angle.  Sometimes you get what you ask for.... good and hard. 
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2013, 08:51:54 AM »

BTW I've had N4NYY on IGNORE for years. 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »

The Baofeng is NOT that easy to program, even with the "book" -- if they are being misused by kiddies SOMEONE with a bit of knowledge helped out....  

The numbers (frequency) could have been just picked at random too.  The point of the matter is that there was never a freely available cheap radio THAT COULD BE EASILY SET UP on the public service frequencies before this--aside from some ham equipment, that is, but those had to be 'opened up' to do it and they weren't that cheap to boot!  These Chinese "wonder boxes" are going to cause a lot of trouble for us hams, especially since some of us are going gung-ho over them.
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2013, 11:09:45 AM »

The Baofeng and Wouxun radios I've bought both have been Part 90 type accepted by the FCC. They passed the spectrum tests, albeit just barely. So they are legal to use on Part 90 freq. They are not type accepted for GMRS,FRS,MURS etc.

I really think Motorola had a lot to do with type acceptance rules way back when, so they wouldn't have to compete with cheaper competition and they could bilk corporate millions from public safety agencies and businesses with $1500-$5000 radios just like the $7000. Govt. ashtray. (To me, the best business band radio in the world should not cost over $1000. An I-Phone has as much if not more technology than a top shelf Motorola HT and they sell for $500-$600.)

With most public service agencies using cell phones and going 800mhz digital, these cheap HT's may cause an occasional issue, but it will be far from radio Armageddon. And if they can pass spectral purity and bandwidth tests, they should be part 95 type accepted as well. I for one think it's ridiculous to have to carry 3-4 different radios on your belt in an emergency situation.  Of course, I'm sure there's a place for carrying extra suspenders or belts in your go bag in case all the radios you're carrying break your suspenders or belt and your pants fall down around your ankles...HI HI.

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2013, 12:30:01 PM »

The Baofeng is NOT that easy to program, even with the "book" -- if they are being misused by kiddies SOMEONE with a bit of knowledge helped out. her than the "the radio GODS should 'take care' of this" angle.  Sometimes you get what you ask for.... good and hard. 

LOL good point.  Cheesy Either they are easy to program or they aren't.

If kids can program them then licensed hams should be able to! If kids can't program them, then as you said some adult helped them out. In any case the inanimate object itself doesn't break rules on it's own.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2013, 07:30:32 AM »

The way kids are today, I would think it's more like the kids helped the adults program things.  The kids are far more tech-savvy than most adults!
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2013, 08:32:03 AM »

The way kids are today, I would think it's more like the kids helped the adults program things.  The kids are far more tech-savvy than most adults!

Not sure if the ambulance service was using a tone or repeater. If there are simplex, those kids can just use VFO mode and tune right in on them. I do not think and programming was involved.
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2013, 06:42:32 PM »

This is a problem that will get worse before it gets better, as the Chinese manufacturers flood the market with these cheap radios that are easily modified.  The next problem will be some punk kid getting on 10 meters or the other bands and raising hell with some $100 radio made in China.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2013, 10:59:08 AM »

I don't know because I haven't the desire to look, but I would almost bet that some of the newer big three handies could be programmed to go most anywhere if you knew how to access the "service" menu. You can open the transmit on the newer HF rigs with just the right selection of menu.

Hey the gaming crowd is good at this, the like to hunt "easter eggs."

KF7CG
KJ7WC

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2013, 04:11:15 PM »

Honestly, I stopped reading when that ninny said he was contacting the administrators. I'm surprised that nothing has come of the Baofeng radios in Washington state, given that pre-programmed channel "0" is a state patrol frequency. Then again, I see state agencies using GMRS for commercial business and improper use of Part 90 by other agencies. Does it get any attention? If an FCC member cares to contact me, I'll show them a habitual offender of ID rules and Line A.

Oh well... nobody seems to care about personal accountability. What a pity.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2013, 04:52:14 AM »

Honestly, I stopped reading when that ninny said he was contacting the administrators.

Who me?

Comparing gun control to illegal radio use?  You're crazy. 

You calling me crazy? Then I'm reporting you to the Administrators. Calling a member here "crazy" is no way to carry on a conversation sir.

Well at least now we know that members can call other members here "crazy" and "ninny". At least we got that out of the thread. I wonder what other names we can use? Does anyone have a list? That would make it a lot easier.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2013, 05:03:05 AM »

Honestly, I don't know where some get their ideas.  These Baofeng radios do NOT have to be modified or 'opened up,' they're able to be used on any ham or public service frequency that their specs say they cover right out of the box they come in!  The continued statements that other radios are also capable of being used on those bands once their modified is a moot point.  These Chinese radios don't have to be modified OR 'opened up!'

What KJ7WC just related--that the 0 channel is preprogrammed for a state police frequency in Washington state is disturbing, to say the least.  It just goes to show that the FCC closed their eyes to the problems associated when these radios were type accepted. 

Yes, I agree that personal responsibility still should come into play here, but when the uninformed layman gets a couple of these radios for their kids to play with on the assumption that they're just glorified walkie-talkies, there is a BIG problem brewing.  And that assumption is one that could well apply to the leadoff story of this thread.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2013, 05:04:24 AM »

Honestly, I stopped reading when that ninny said he was contacting the administrators.

Who me?

If the shoe fits...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:29:03 AM by K1CJS » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: